Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-12-2015, 07:28 AM   #1
HOTROD_WILLIE

Default Flathead Cam Weber F7RS

Got this cam the other day. It is Weber F7RS. I never seen a flathead cam w/ this much duration. Can anybody tell me anything about the cam. Thanks again for all the help.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cam-2.jpg (33.2 KB, 114 views)
File Type: jpg cam-1.jpg (30.0 KB, 141 views)
HOTROD_WILLIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 07:35 AM   #2
Tim Ayers

Default Re: Flathead Cam Weber F7RS

Let me do some research on this. I believe it is a radius lifter cam. They made a few of these types of grinds.

Here is some required reading for any flathead cam freak. Willie, look about 1/2 down. There is a timing card for this cam. It was called "The Giant".

http://www.midstateantiquestockcarcl...at_heads4.html
Tim Ayers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 07:37 AM   #3
scooder

I believe that maybe a radius tappet cam.
Martin.
scooder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 08:53 AM   #4
flatjack9

I don't have specs, but it was a radius lifter cam.
flatjack9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 06:34 PM   #5
shoe box Jack

Thanks Tim for the info on cams. I'M going to add this to my library. Jack.
shoe box Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 09:12 PM   #6
marko1943

hi i have a webber f5-s doze anybody have specs on it? i will be useing it in a 8ba in my 51 hope to have it together next spring.
marko1943 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 10:33 PM   #7
Ol' Ron

You can get radius lifters from Pete. But, That's not a street cam. Something for the track.
Ol' Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 12:19 AM   #8
HotRodmicky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol' Ron View Post
You can get radius lifters from Pete. But, That's not a street cam. Something for the track.
Hi Ron , i doubt that , as the weber cam uses 1 inch Radius lifters
And Pete makes the 2 inch radius lifters for a 404-A (for example)
As far as i know.
HotRodmicky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 01:45 AM   #9
scooder

Micky,
I believe your correct on the 1" radius lifters.
Martin.
scooder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 06:45 AM   #10
Ol' Ron

I dn't know that, only ran the 404. Will have to think about that? Interesting.
Old 10-13-2015, 07:02 AM   #11
Tim Ayers

Take a look at the bottom of the page in the link below regarding 2" v. 1" lifters.

http://www.midstateantiquestockcarcl...at_heads4.html

Am I incorrect to assume that the 1" v. 2" refers more to the compound or bend of the radius v. the actual size of the lifter?

I truly have no idea and I'm now very curious.

Last edited by Tim Ayers; 10-13-2015 at 07:31 AM.
Old 10-13-2015, 07:08 AM   #12
HotRodmicky

Tim you are correct

I bought a set of the 1inch ones at LARS years ago when i was hunting for a 2 inch set
For my 404-A :-)
Found it out after i got back home ��
HotRodmicky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 08:27 AM   #13
Tim Ayers

According to the site, the idea behind the radius is to allow for a more radical opening and closing ramp. Does it also make the cam "bigger" by allowing the lifter to stay of the face of the lobe longer vs. a square making contact like a "stock" style lifter?

Cams are one of my favorite subjects and would love to know more.

Also, not to start a side bar discussion, but Barney Navarro said he didn't like roller lifters for the roller would "pool" up the oil as it started to accelerate up the ramp and didn't do what it was designed to do (spin).

Not sure about all that, but I'm curious on the rationale behind a radius lifter.
Old 10-13-2015, 09:35 AM   #14
Bored&Stroked

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Ayers View Post
According to the site, the idea behind the radius is to allow for a more radical opening and closing ramp. Does it also make the cam "bigger" by allowing the lifter to stay of the face of the lobe longer vs. a square making contact like a "stock" style lifter?

Also, not to start a side bar discussion, but Barney Navarro said he didn't like roller lifters for the roller would "pool" up the oil as it started to accelerate up the ramp and didn't do what it was designed to do (spin).
It doesn't necessarily make a cam 'bigger' - the lobe profile and design of the cam determines that. What it usually does is increase the valve lift velocity in the mid-lift areas of the profile (the ramps) and deliver more area under the curve for a given velocity.

For example here are the velocity numbers for my favorite two Potvin grinds - can't really show area under the curve in 'text' :

a) Potvin 3/8: maximum velocity of .008512 per degree of rotation happens at .1239 of intake ramp lift.

b) Potvin 425: maximum velocity of .008519 per degree of rotation happens at .1925 of intake ramp lift.

Now, the Isky 404-A: maximum velocity of .009738 per degree of rotation happens at .163 of intake ramp lift.

Roller Lifters: I'm not going to dispute what Barney said - as I would have to know the context of his comments (cam, spring pressure, etc). What I will say is that roller cams tend to take more spring pressure to keep them tracking on the lobes . . . and "rolling/spinning" is a part of that. If roller cams didn't work, you wouldn't see them being used in just about every top-competition engine today.

What is difficult with roller lifter profiles in flatheads is that we do not have the added benefit of a rocker arm and associated ratio and our base circles are very small. About the only way we can achieve high ramp velocities (to say match a radius) and increase the area under the curve is by using inverse radius/hollow flank profiles. You've probably seen a few cams like this - the lobes look more like "peanut shapes". A great example of this is the top race cams that Harley used on the KR flathead and also what Kenny Kloth had made for his record setting engines for Bonneville.

One of the problems/issues with inverse radius cam profiles is that it takes SMALL cam grinding wheels to make the inverse profile with the small base circles of a stock flathead cam blank - and most of the cam grinders use bigger grinding wheels.

Solution: If you bore out the cam bores of the block, use larger journals/bearings and increase the base circle diameter of a custom steel billet core, then we have a LOT more to work with. This is what most of the high-end Bonneville guys are doing - it is the only way to get the profiles and lift that they need.

Enough of my babble . . .

Dale
Bored&Stroked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 09:45 AM   #15
Tim Ayers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bored&Stroked View Post
It doesn't necessarily make a cam 'bigger' - the lobe profile and design of the cam determines that. What it usually does is increase the valve lift velocity in the mid-lift areas of the profile (the ramps) and deliver more area under the curve for a given velocity.

For example here are the velocity numbers for my favorite two Potvin grinds - can't really show area under the curve in 'text' :

a) Potvin 3/8: maximum velocity of .008512 per degree of rotation happens at .1239 of intake ramp lift.

b) Potvin 425: maximum velocity of .008519 per degree of rotation happens at .1925 of intake ramp lift.

Now, the Isky 404-A: maximum velocity of .009738 per degree of rotation happens at .163 of intake ramp lift.

Roller Lifters: I'm not going to dispute what Barney said - as I would have to know the context of his comments (cam, spring pressure, etc). What I will say is that roller cams tend to take more spring pressure to keep them tracking on the lobes . . . and "rolling/spinning" is a part of that. If roller cams didn't work, you wouldn't see them being used in just about every top-competition engine today.

What is difficult with roller lifter profiles in flatheads is that we do not have the added benefit of a rocker arm and associated ratio and our base circles are very small. About the only way we can achieve high ramp velocities (to say match a radius) and increase the area under the curve is by using inverse radius/hollow flank profiles. You've probably seen a few cams like this - the lobes look more like "peanut shapes". A great example of this is the top race cams that Harley used on the KR flathead and also what Kenny Kloth had made for his record setting engines for Bonneville.

One of the problems/issues with inverse radius cam profiles is that it takes SMALL cam grinding wheels to make the inverse profile with the small base circles of a stock flathead cam blank - and most of the cam grinders use bigger grinding wheels.

Solution: If you bore out the cam bores of the block, use larger journals/bearings and increase the base circle diameter of a custom steel billet core, then we have a LOT more to work with. This is what most of the high-end Bonneville guys are doing - it is the only way to get the profiles and lift that they need.

Enough of my babble . . .

Dale
Hi Dale:

Thanks for the info. Yes, I agree with what you said about rollers. There is a reason why top racing guys are using them without question.

I still kick myself for about 25 years ago I was at a yard sale. There was a brand new box of Crower adjustable roller lifters with the jig to drill the lifter bores. The guy wanted $100 for the set and I declined. I sure wish I had those in my stash now.
Old 10-13-2015, 03:40 PM   #16
Ol' Ron

Too soon old, too late smart. The more I learn about camshafts, the less I know about camshafts. Back in the 60's we ran the 404 with the double spring package. Instolation was a bitch. and the engine ran OK for a while untill one of the lifters gave up and we switched to a 400jr. Which ran much better. However we eat up a few lifters here as well. We were running 85 lbs of spring pressure as reccomended by some expert?? after that fix dropping the installed spring pressure to 65 lbs the cam and lifters lasted several seasons untill we switch ed to a Sig Errson cam. Learned allot the hard way. Nut I still say, The air pressure in the right fron and a great driver is all you need on a short track.
Old 10-14-2015, 08:28 AM   #17
Bored&Stroked

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Ayers View Post
Hi Dale:

Thanks for the info. Yes, I agree with what you said about rollers. There is a reason why top racing guys are using them without question.

I still kick myself for about 25 years ago I was at a yard sale. There was a brand new box of Crower adjustable roller lifters with the jig to drill the lifter bores. The guy wanted $100 for the set and I declined. I sure wish I had those in my stash now.
Hell, come to Columbus and I'll give yah a good kick for that one! That is about $750 worth of lifters!

The Crower roller lifters are quite heavy (just put a set in my 42 Merc engine), but they beat the hell out of making your own. If I was building a race engine for Bonneville, I would make my own - just as we did on our Flathead Cadillac engine.
Old 10-14-2015, 08:31 AM   #18
Bored&Stroked

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol' Ron View Post
TBack in the 60's we ran the 404 with the double spring package. Instolation was a bitch. and the engine ran OK for a while untill one of the lifters gave up and we switched to a 400jr. Which ran much better. However we eat up a few lifters here as well. We were running 85 lbs of spring pressure as reccomended by some expert?? after that fix dropping the installed spring pressure to 65 lbs the cam and lifters lasted several seasons untill we switch ed to a Sig Errson cam. Learned allot the hard way. Nut I still say, The air pressure in the right fron and a great driver is all you need on a short track.
I'm running about 95 lbs of spring pressure (on the seat) on my steel roller cammed race-style engine - as you don't want to float the rollers and bang them on the cam - breaks roller axles and then you lose the motor. As this is a custom setup, the cam has an 8620 steel core and is hardened - so it can take the spring pressure.

On a side note, FlatDog used to run the dual-spring Isky package and he and I talked a lot about it. He then switched over to the single 185-G springs on his .450 lift roller - used about 100 lbs on the seat and had no problems at all with his race engines. Man - he was a good dude . . . miss our bench racing conversations!
Old 10-14-2015, 08:42 AM   #19
sidevalve8ba

"The air pressure in the right front and a great driver is all you need on a short track."

Ol' Ron, there is a lot of wisdom in those words.
Old 10-14-2015, 09:17 AM   #20
Tim Ayers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bored&Stroked View Post
I'm running about 95 lbs of spring pressure (on the seat) on my steel roller cammed race-style engine - as you don't want to float the rollers and bang them on the cam - breaks roller axles and then you lose the motor. As this is a custom setup, the cam has an 8620 steel core and is hardened - so it can take the spring pressure.

On a side note, FlatDog used to run the dual-spring Isky package and he and I talked a lot about it. He then switched over to the single 185-G springs on his .450 lift roller - used about 100 lbs on the seat and had no problems at all with his race engines. Man - he was a good dude . . . miss our bench racing conversations!
Yeah, he certainly knew how to get a lot out of these old motors. One year, we pulled into the show out at Macungie, PA. The entire place turned around when they heard him pull in with his '34. That flathead sounded like a full race SBC. Nasty to say the least.