Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-05-2011, 01:49 PM   #1
messmoremh

Default 51 F-3 Ford Script stake Bed

I posted earlier with pictures on 6/12/11. Solved mystery of 51 F-3 Duallie, it has an extended Frame and a Chevy Duallie Rear end. It also is Canadian with a Merc motor!! I am still looking for a Stake bed. Currently this former Hay Truck has a 7'8" W X 9'5" L wood bed. I am looking for something near those dimensions. Guess I could even modify one to fit if necessary. As long as it is re-buildable with a nice Ford script I'll take it....thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg July 2009 001.JPG (64.2 KB, 8 views)
messmoremh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 06:39 PM   #2
tiquer

Default Re: 51 F-3 Ford Script stake Bed

Quote:
Originally Posted by messmoremh View Post
I posted earlier with pictures on 6/12/11. Solved mystery of 51 F-3 Duallie, it has an extended Frame and a Chevy Duallie Rear end. It also is Canadian with a Merc motor!! I am still looking for a Stake bed. Currently this former Hay Truck has a 7'8" W X 9'5" L wood bed. I am looking for something near those dimensions. Guess I could even modify one to fit if necessary. As long as it is re-buildable with a nice Ford script I'll take it....thanks
Acually the mercury truck although A Canadian model has the standard 239 CI ford engine from the factory.Unlike the Mercury car witch has the 255 engine, from 49-53.
tiquer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 06:17 AM   #3
1952henry

Looks nice. Check on Ford Truck Enthusiasts for a bed, if you haven't already. They are, or were, being reproduced.
Old 11-06-2011, 08:39 AM   #4
rotorwrench

My memory for details on the beds is not as good as it used to be. I'm sure that Ford made flat beds but there were aftermarket manufacturers that installed beds with hydraulic lifts and other accessories in that time frame too. Most of them would have been for 1 1/2 ton or bigger trucks though. If you went to the local southwestern Kansas Ford dealer to order a truck, they would order it as a bare chassis truck and upon receipt they would send it over to the bed manufacturer of your choice for the installation.

The 1952 F-3 my pop had just had a long pickup bed on it. We built a stock rack set up for it so we could haul bulls between different pastures and in trading with other farmer/stockmen. The F-3 would haul a 1500 pounder with no problems and it was still a single wheel per side rear axle. We also had a big water tank we'd put in there. It was a pretty big tank for an F-3 but it would haul it with a full load of water. It was a damn good old farm truck. I just wish my pop had kept it.

As far as I know, the only Ford vehicle made in Canada with a 255 was the Monarch. Pickups & trucks up through F-6 (Both Ford and Mercury) would have had a 239 engine unless they had a special option with the 255. The Big F-7 & F-8 trucks thru 1951 had the Lincoln 337 just like the ones down here did.

Kerby

Last edited by rotorwrench; 11-06-2011 at 08:52 AM.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 10:48 AM   #5
messmoremh

1952henry, thanks, I had tried that site earlier, guess I didn't explore far enough. Just went back there and posted, let's see what happens. The Guy in Stirling Heights, MI no longer makes them, I really hoped I could get one from him. Someone out there has to have a line on one, seems there are farms and fields all around with the odd old truck and flat bed just sitting there, that's what is so fun about a road trip. Thanks for the other replies also....
messmoremh is offline   Reply With Quote