Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-03-2023, 06:47 AM   #21
devoreb

Default Re: Model A Engine Intermittent - help I need an adult

If you replaced the ignition switch with a new after market it may be just touching the gas tank causing it to short intermittenly. I would take the dash out and put electrical tape or rubber on the tank and back of switch. I experienced this on a friends car, it was a real head scratcher.
devoreb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2023, 07:46 AM   #22
kenparker0703

Went thru the same thing couple of weeks ago. Turned out to be a fouled plug. All four plugs were Champion 3x. Changed the plug (3#) and problem went away. ken
kenparker0703 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2023, 01:03 PM   #23
82AModelA

I have an update: I found my problem.

So I got a spare moment and went out and opened up the distributor. I then grabbed hold of the cam and checked for sideplay. I found that I was able to visibly change the point gap. For kicks I measured the gap and found I could change the gap by over ten thousandths...pretty sure I'm not supposed to be able to do that. So, I'm going to rebuild my distributor.

I'll also check everything else that was suggested, but I'm pretty confident that is my problem. I've opened the carburetor up so much I think I could do it in my sleep. Everything there checks out including the float.

I also found a club in my area. I'd also like to apologize for not giving my location, but I'm not really comfortable posting that.

Thanks again for the help!
82AModelA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2023, 04:27 PM   #24
katy

Have you tried replacing the ignition coil? Preferably w/a known good one.
Old 10-04-2023, 10:01 PM   #25
Ayers1

Well, I was going to suggest a coil issue but Katy beat me to it. Distributors aren't too hard to rebuild, any of the common model a parts suppliers should have everything you will need. Snyders is my "go to" for quality parts. There are others but I like Snyder's.
Ayers1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2023, 04:07 PM   #26
Rob Doe

82A,

The worn bushings are quite likelly, as you suspect, to be the problem. You said that you were able to move the distributor shaft back and forth in multiple directions. There is another check that should be made.

Grab the advance retard arm of the upper plate and attempt to move it horizontally by pushing the arm and pulling on it. I don't mean in rotation as normal, but toward the radiator and firewall. The idea is to check for play in the upper plate at the center hole. This can affect the points also. It is a less common problem to find, but I've seen it posted before.

Another issue that is known, but less often found is that the brown insulators that are riveted to the plates can become loose under their rivets. This allows intermittent shorting problems. Check both plates to make certain the insulators and their rivets are still immovable, tight.

In hopes of learning something, I'd be interested in knowing what the ammeter is showing when the car is stumbling??? If the 1929 November service bulletin is applied, the functioning of the primary ig circuit is visible on the ammeter. The ammeter is your friend in the Model A and should be monitored as you start the car and immediately on engine malfunction.

Good luck and hope this helps you.

Last edited by Rob Doe; 10-06-2023 at 06:40 PM.
Rob Doe is offline   Reply With Quote