Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-13-2022, 11:21 PM   #41
34 FORDOR

Default Re: 33 out west

Lawrie good to see you back out on the road with the 33 and caravan . Did you get to visit the power station museum in Quilpie , we’ll worth it if you have time . Enjoy your travels and keep us updated with your trip
34 FORDOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2022, 04:33 AM   #42
Mart

A testament to a well maintained machine and a considerate and knowledgeable driver.
Mart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2022, 11:38 AM   #43
hotrodcbx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawrie View Post
Good morning, this is my first time away in the 33 and caravan in a while,since my wife Carol passed , so I thought I would post some pics and thoughts along the way.
First up it痴 very hot at the moment here,most days in the 35c up .
I had done a service on the 33 before leaving and changed oil and filter and grease etc,plus I replaced a cracked rubber fuel line to the pump,
On first day out the 33 just ran out of go on a hill it normally powers over,so I spluttered into a lay by and found the new fuel line was sucking air,an easy fix by recited the old one and off we went.
At the end of the day I fitted a good new one .
Fuel here is getting dearer thanks to Mr P, at $2 per litre and I知 sure it will get dearer,but that痴 no drama,
Last night I found a really nice spot to stop for the night out in the sticks, with kangaroos and other wild life for company. I知 on a country road called Womble bank gap road, I was looking for who les but never saw any.
But there are the biggest and fastest cattle ever next to me, lucky there is a fence.
Will post some more pics as I go along, I知 heading for Quilpie and Eromanga and maybe across the border into south Australia and if I知 game a little bit .of sand.
Lawrie
We up here in Canada are at $2.00 ltr. We have PM Trudeau to thank for his insane carbon tax and fuel conservation tax largely responsible!!
hotrodcbx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2022, 11:56 AM   #44
JM 35 Sedan

Lawrie, looks like an exciting trip. Wish I could be there riding along with you. Thanks for keeping us posted on details of your trip, along with pictures.

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein

Last edited by JM 35 Sedan; 03-16-2022 at 05:21 AM.
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2022, 04:40 PM   #45
Lawrie

I had a nice drive yesterday, only about 120 klms, easy,but lots of flooded causeways, deepest one about 6inches deep, no worries, only saw 3cars, mostly work related utes,
Out here there is big oil fields with these pumpers going every where, there was also huge dinosaurs out here a while back, more than last year,Lol , and a great new museum for the remains
This town,Eromanga, is the furtherest from the sea in Australia,I will fill up here this morning so the fuel will most likely be more than 2.24 p ltr.
I have a good drive today at 310 klm and nothing in between so will need the Jerry can for sure,
Once again the locals new I was coming via the bush telegraph,so I sure could not get away unnoticed,
The 33 has not missed a beat so far and used about maybe 1/2 ltr engine oil.
As I free camped last night beside the local hall that was open for travelers use of the amenities, these where like brand new and spotless,with a never ending supply of hot water, and only 50 yards from the pub where I had dinner and a beer.
Lawrie
Attached Images
File Type: jpg A6BCBD9D-1EAA-428B-BBB8-5768F123796D.jpg (56.2 KB, 262 views)
Lawrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2022, 04:54 PM   #46
mercman from oz

Big oil fields with these pumpers going every where - Lawrie
mercman from oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2022, 07:23 PM   #47
johnboy34

What a joy to read your ride along, thanks.
johnboy34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2022, 09:57 PM   #48
flatford8

Thanks for sharing your trip!!....you folks live in an amazing country !!.......I’ve driven a trailer truck here in the States for 40 yrs, but I’ve never been close to one of those Road Trains....so much can go wrong between the front bumper and the last set of tail lights !!!
Wonderful trip that your sharing!!......Mark
Billy Joe Shaver
flatford8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2022, 10:03 PM   #49
Tinker

Mad Max was a movie. You are the living version, but in style! Thanks for sharing!
Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2022, 10:30 PM   #50
Lawrie

I have seen some of his cars out here,rusting away
On my drive this morning,which was 285klms ,only saw I road train, it came up behind and before he got to me,I got right off the road and stopped ,he was carrying oil from the refinery back at Eromanga, I was thinking about going further out to the desert ,but as there was no fuel out there decided against it,
I had to use the Jerry can this morning as one tank got me to 255 klms, not too bad as I could not fill it RIGHT up as the car was on an angle in the bowser, so was probably a few litres short,it was cheaper than yesterday at $2.12 per ltr.
I have stopped for a coffee and crackers and cheese on the roadside,and the police just pulled up , they asked if I was ok, I told them yes and was just making a coffee, nice to know they cared.
Lawrie
Old 03-14-2022, 10:38 PM   #51
Tinker

Always nice to know some care about others.
Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2022, 08:06 AM   #52
aussie merc

Lawrie their just jealous of your ride
aussie merc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2022, 01:59 PM   #53
51woodie

Lawrie. Thank you for sharing your adventures with a chilled Northern Ontario Canadian. Your post caused me to go through my pictures of the trip I did in October 2012, with my daughter and family, from Sydney to Perth. She was living in Cobar at the time. They drove their Ute, and I rented a Toyota AWD pop -up camper from Britz in Sydney. Both were diesels. We hit a number of the hot spots (no pun intended) along the way. We drove the Strzelecki and Oodnedatta (+45C) tracks, and learned what bull dust was. On through Coober Pedy, Ghan, Ayers Rock (Uluru), King's Canyon, Painted Desert, Kalgoorlie then Perth. Learned what a bowser was, as well as Opal gas.
It is amazing to me, that you pull a caravan and travel the distances you do with your '33. I get nervous when I take my '46 Coupe 300km from home. I have to ask, do you mind sharing a short list of spare parts that you take with you on these adventures?
Travel safe and have fun!
Brian
51woodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2022, 01:42 AM   #54
T Scott

Hi Lawrie, I'm not sure you realize the value of your posts and photos. In these days of viruses and geopolitical strife (war) a diversion is well welcomed. What could be better than a trip through beautiful country in an old Ford, a priceless link to a simpler time that you have managed to hang on to. Hat's off and good for you.
T Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2022, 04:31 AM   #55
danliveshere

Good stuff Lawrie. Keeping the dream alive. ��
danliveshere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2022, 04:58 AM   #56
Lawrie

Brian,spares in the tool box on the firewall, spare set up distributor complete with coil and condenser,fuel pump,water pump,carb gasket set,inner tube, gasket set,plus some relevant tools ,and of corse the jack and wheel brace,, a few bits of electrical wire and a set of generator brushes.
On all the trips away the thing that has been used a few times is the distributor,
and a few bits of wire when the generator chewed one up.
I do a full service before I leave home ,eng oil and filter, trans and rear axle oil change and full grease.,
BEST sight of the day today by far,was when I moved over to let a road train pass me, he had three trailers on,as he passed ,his passenger was out side standing on the passenger side running board having a fag, like it was the normal thing, he waved as they passed, I was then doing 52 mph and they left me for dust,
I took a pic to show my family,if you look close you can see the passenger on the passenger side ,left side guys.
This morning I put a litre of eng oil in just to be sure, after 1300 miles since home.
And at a way out fuel stop at Eulo they only had 95 fuel ,it was the dearest to date at 2.45 per litre,I had to drive some way with the hand brake on to keep it from getting away on the hi octane fuel,(laughing).
The 33 needs a wash but will wait till I get home in a week or so.
Lawrie
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 05B72911-ECC2-4126-AAC9-BB287A457E85.jpg (33.4 KB, 206 views)
Old 03-16-2022, 12:24 PM   #57
petehoovie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawrie View Post
BEST sight of the day today by far,was when I moved over to let a road train pass me, he had three trailers on,as he passed ,his passenger was out side standing on the passenger side running board having a fag, like it was the normal thing, he waved as they passed, I was then doing 52 mph and they left me for dust,Lawrie

"Silver rings, your butt! Them's washers!"
"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NReUd2_0u0
petehoovie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2022, 05:15 PM   #58
Lawrie

Thought you might like a look inside at my humble home made caravan,it has some special features that make it unique,it has a 40 amp altinator driven off one of the wheels via a vee belt,so I have a 12 v supply to power the caravan brakes ,fridge and other stuff, has a toilet and shower ,the 12v also goes up to the 33 where it feeds the trailer brake controller and UHF radio, the radio has to be .insulated as the 33 is still 6 v pos earth. I have two solar panels on the roof that keep two lithium iron batteries charged via a redac battery controller, and a 1000 watt 240v inverter to supply 240 v if needed, this stuff was put in so we could run the PD dialysis machine over night for wife Carol,The setup has worked well since 2014 ,and allowed us to still travel all over and we could be away for up to a month at a time.
Yesterday I had one couple talk at a fuel stop, his partner tried really hard to get me to sell the caravan ,or make her one, she even gave me her card if I changed my mind,we compared fuel usage, they were towing a 2.8 ton caravan with a v8 petrol powered Toyota,fuel 38 l/100 , I was embarrassed to tell him mine was less than 18 l/100,,we had a good laugh about progress.
I知 doing some tourist stuff today in Charleville
Lawrie
Attached Images
File Type: jpg D309CA1B-09F9-43C2-9387-DEFF94E1F03E.jpg (57.7 KB, 172 views)
File Type: jpg BA4CB695-A032-479D-80B3-C5FA6CBE4E74.jpg (67.6 KB, 169 views)
Old 03-16-2022, 06:18 PM   #59
petehoovie

[QUOTE=Lawrie;2113464]Thought you might like a look inside at my humble home made caravan,it has some special features that make it unique,it has a 40 amp altinator driven off one of the wheels via a vee belt,so I have a 12 v supply to power the caravan brakes ,fridge and other stuff, has a toilet and shower ,the 12v also goes up to the 33 where it feeds the trailer brake controller and UHF radio, the radio has to be .insulated as the 33 is still 6 v pos earth. I have two solar panels on the roof that keep two lithium iron batteries charged via a redac battery controller, and a 1000 watt 240v inverter to supply 240 v if needed, this stuff was put in so we could run the PD dialysis machine over night for wife Carol,The setup has worked well since 2014 ,and allowed us to still travel all over and we could be away for up to a month at a time.

"Silver rings, your butt! Them's washers!"
"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NReUd2_0u0
petehoovie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2022, 01:02 PM   #60
51woodie

Laurie. Thank you for the list of parts and pieces you take with you on your trips. Also, thanks for sharing your travels.
Brian
51woodie is offline   Reply With Quote