Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-06-2021, 08:47 AM   #1
bradenjasin

Default Starter Problem - caught on fire

Hello,
This is my first time on Ford Barn.
I've been restoring a 29 Model A with my dad over the past several weeks. We finally got it running this weekend and felt very accomplished. Our original engine was seized. We got a donor engine, took it apart and rebuilt the block with a new head gasket, had the flywheel resurfaced, and replaced all of the other gaskets along the way. The original trans was still good, and we kept that. At the initial startup, the engine fired up right away and we were letting it run outside our garage for about 15 minutes at idle. We pushed it outside for the initial startup, and when I went to put it into gear to drive it back inside, the engine stalled, the starter switch began to smoke, it started glowing red hot, and had a small fire right on the top of the starter!
We disconnected the battery as quickly as we could. But my question is what could cause the starter switch to do this?
On a side note, the clutch pedal feels out of adjustment as well. Its odd because it was perfect prior to the rebuild, and the trans didn't even come out of the car when we pulled the engine. I'm wondering what caused the problem here. Also, a new starter and starter switch are on the list to order this week.
Any help is appreciated guys!
bradenjasin is offline   Reply With Quote