Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-26-2022, 08:57 PM   #1
RickInVA

Default Seat belts is a 1930 Coupe

Hi All, I have searched our forum, on line, and in model a books and I still do not have a clear picture of how to install seat belts in my car. So far I have learned that some people have decided that the seat frame is a suitable structure to attach the seat belts to. A piece of angle iron is attached to the back of the seat frame and the belts are attached to this angle iron. Assuming that this is correct, how is the angle aron attached to the seat frame. The seat moves as the seat is adjusted back and forth but the bottom half of the frame remains stationary. If you consider attaching the angle iron to the seat frame you are attaching them to wood. I need some help and advice!
Thanks!
RickInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2022, 09:22 PM   #2
Gary WA

Default Re: Seat belts is a 1930 Coupe

Les Andrews Vol 2 has instructions

Last edited by Gary WA; 12-30-2023 at 02:37 PM.
Gary WA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2022, 10:26 PM   #3
JoeCB

Maybe someone will find it, or search again, as there is a very good tutorial on the subject somewhere here on the forum.

Joe B
JoeCB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2022, 04:58 AM   #4
Bruce of MN

Some want the belts attached to the frame, others feel that in a crash, that would hurt you as the seat broke free and squeezed your waist against the seat belt. In my opinion, if the crash is that bad, you are in great overall danger; my belts are mainly for if the doors fly open during a turn.

My coupe's center attachments are as shown in this pic. The belts go between the cushion and the back through a window I cut and trimmed in the curved panel there and to the body.

Bruce of MN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2022, 05:37 AM   #5
nkaminar

In my opinion, the belts can be attached almost anywhere as long as you use a large washer underneath. The washer will spread the load out and prevent the bolt from pulling through. The belts available from the suppliers come with a large washer. Bruce is right that the belts are there mostly to prevent you from being thrown from the car.
The clutch always sticks, and starts with a jerk.
My car grows red hair, and flies through the air.
Driving's a blast, a blast from the past.
nkaminar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2022, 08:22 AM   #6
denis4x4

Just finished re-installing seat belts in my CCPU. I used a piece of 2" X 1/4" C channel iron fitted between the frame rails. The outboard belts are fastened through the frame and channel iron and the middle belts are bolted to the channel iron. Using the seat frame and/or the floor pan with a big washer is wishful thinking.
Old 06-28-2022, 05:56 PM   #7
RickInVA

Thanks everyone! I finially have a picture in my mind of what needs to be done. When pictures are taken up close without surrounding details it is hard for me to see where things fit in. But, I have it! Thanks.
RickInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2022, 07:00 PM   #8
ndnchf

Quote:
Originally Posted by denis4x4 View Post
Just finished re-installing seat belts in my CCPU. I used a piece of 2" X 1/4" C channel iron fitted between the frame rails. The outboard belts are fastened through the frame and channel iron and the middle belts are bolted to the channel iron. Using the seat frame and/or the floor pan with a big washer is wishful thinking.
Can you share some photos of your seat belt installation and how the C channel is mounted? I'd like to do somthing similar in my early '31 CCPU. Thanks.
ndnchf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2022, 12:25 AM   #9
PotvinV8

Here's a shot from underneath my '30 coupe of the seatbelt washers and their location. The take away is that you don't want the bolt ripping through the sheetmetal upon impact.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Model A Five-Speed Install-28.jpg (79.2 KB, 86 views)
PotvinV8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2022, 04:54 AM   #10
Bruce of MN

Your belt mounts are near to where I chose:

Bruce of MN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2022, 10:44 PM   #11
Bill Z

During my installation, I mounted the center seatbelts of my ‘30 coupe with a bracket I fabricated from 3” wide X 3/16 steel with 1”X 3/16” stiffeners. The outer belts were mounted with nut plates that I slid between the sub rails and the splash shields after drilling holes for the bolts, then pop riveting them in place. Cut outs in the curved lower seat pan, to allow the belts to pass through, we’re finished with vinyl edging. It’s important that the seat belts have a straight path from the mounts to your lower body when in use.
Bill Z
Bill Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2022, 05:21 AM   #12
Bill Z

I should also mention that my seatbelts are mounted further back than usual. I modified the package shelf and moved the seat tracks rearward 4 1/2”. I’m 6’ 3” and now have a decent amount of legroom.
Bill Z
Bill Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2022, 11:01 AM   #13
1930artdeco

You can also 3 point the seat belts if you wish. Bob Grady did that in his coupe and it looks great.

Mike
Old 07-01-2022, 04:47 PM   #14
Kevin in NJ

So a seat belt need to handle hundreds of pound of force with minimal forward movement. In the A it is kind of tight, that is you dont have to move far to hit something hard in front of you.

First rule of seatbelts. The mount must be as close to the shear of a bolt as possible. That is where the bolt is strongest. This means the belts need their mount point behind the seat a bit.

The seat belt path must be striaght through. I have seen several installs were they did the S turn around along the seat bottom. For my cabriolet I cut a hole in the metal curved part of the seat so the belt can go straight through.

You must be in something solid. Since the belt is behind the seat the force is going to be pulling mostly forward with some up pull. I have a 1/2 steel plate attached to a couple of cross members and under them. I have some wood sills and that is a bolt through the wood.

There are a lot unsafe belt installs using just all the wrong materials and attachment options. By unsafe they are not likely to be much for even just holding you in the car let alone keeping you in place.

The belts in the A are going to be a compromise in the end.

Remember that 25 MPH would be the same as taking your car up by the rear bumper with a crane and putting the front bumper at the level of the peak of a 2 story house. Then letting go. You need the parts you are attaching to to hold for that hit. I use 25 cause that is the speeds where you are most likely going to hit. Much above that it is kind of a crap shoot. Based on past accident pictures, the A does survive well on frontal impact. You are going to be injured, but more likely to survive.
Kevin in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote