Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-28-2022, 12:17 PM   #1
highbeams

Default my post apology.

I apologize to all regarding my post regarding facebook post Henry Ford, Harvey Firestone and Tom Edison.

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000206169264

I didn't realize the facebook account would be presented. But hopefully the 1929 video was entertaining to you. Tom Edison was stone deaf; in the video Mr. Firestone is speaking directly into Mr. Edison's hand-cupped ear;
(Mr. Edison passed in 1932.)

(possibly view the video online using key words in search.)

Thank you for 'listening'!

highbeams.
highbeams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2022, 02:01 PM   #2
RKS.PA

Default Re: my post apology.

Think your heart was in the right place!!
RKS.PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2022, 02:36 PM   #3
Charlie ny
BANNED

hb,
Those three titans would smoke most elites today, they made THINGS.

It's all good !
Charlie ny
Charlie ny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2022, 10:42 PM   #4
highbeams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie ny View Post
hb,
Those three titans would smoke most elites today, they made THINGS.

It's all good !
Charlie ny
Thank you, Charlie!

highbeams.
Old 06-28-2022, 10:45 PM   #5
highbeams

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKS.PA View Post
Think your heart was in the right place!!
Thank you. RKS,PA!
Old 06-28-2022, 11:15 PM   #6
Tinker

Didn't go to the link.... so

The Edison Ford Winter Estates museum in Fort Meyers Fl is interesting.

They were polar opposites in some respect. Henry was a health nut, Edison thought the only reason you have a body was to hold your head upright or straight. Both thinkers and some how they were still friends and liked each other.

Don't sweat it, people react very quickly now and forget just as quick. It's social media. 1929 was a long time ago. Really less you posted something super racist, people get over it. We live in a goldfish online world. There was a reason the previous administration always said we have a health care plan ect, in two weeks we are rolling it out.... two weeks is our goldfish bowl. haha It's all fubar.

Last edited by Tinker; 06-28-2022 at 11:36 PM.
Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2022, 11:48 PM   #7
cas3

I've been to Edison's winter lab/ home in...I forget, Florida somewhere ! Very interesting. The light bulbs burning in the shop were supposedly made by Edison, and still burning today "they don't make em like they used to ". Please have no remorse from your post, it's interesting history, always happy for that, but i personally believe in de funding the billionaires. No facebook, No twitter, No amazon. The world was a better place before these jerks got so much power
cas3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2022, 11:59 PM   #8
Tinker

Couple shots from the summer Edison workshop.

I don't think there is anything wrong with social media or online shops. Progressed some of everything we do today. The world too for all the good and a lot of bad. This place wouldn't exist (maybe that's a good thing, but I don't think so). I look at it like a tool. A thought I have is, it is a tool... or it makes you the tool. Fine line I guess..

Monopolies are adverse to capitalism. Small companies can't grow if they are drowned out. It's what happens over time big companies drown the small. Just look to russia, china, ect. Economic oligarchs. They just get smashed here in the usa and new things happen and grow out of it. It's a strength over time. Don't worry the billionaires keep their money and companies. It just allows growth and new innovation.

Standard oil. microsoft... all were divided.

Only constant is change.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0576.jpg (68.3 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0578.jpg (63.2 KB, 28 views)

Last edited by Tinker; 06-29-2022 at 12:24 AM.
Old 06-29-2022, 12:35 AM   #9
Tinker

I think Elon Musk is a interesting guy in his early years. Think he might be a bit zonkers lately. Money corrupts ideas absolutely.

When they started Tesla they open sourced all the patents to the electric car development to anyone that wants to build them. Partly due to assistance they received from the government under Obama. Progressive idea to heavily advance development. Made amazing strides. Let's not forget (like oil, airlines, and agriculture) Tesla and SpaceX were and are very much funded by tax payer money to grow.

Don't get his obsession with twitter lately. Might be a personal thing that happens when you have a ton of money and react to personal things and not a solid innovative idea. Seems a bit self involved lately and less engaged in real things.

Last edited by Tinker; 06-29-2022 at 12:55 AM.
Old 06-29-2022, 02:11 AM   #10
Fortunateson

If those light bulbs are indeed the original ones great. But if he could make his personal ones last then he should have sold “everlasting” bulbs to the general public! Phillips did the same thing...their bulbs were lasting too long so they were adjusted so they wouldn’t last.

But Edison didn’t “invent” the incandescent bulb. He perfected the idea he bought from two Canadians who couldn’t get the financial backing to do it at home. Edison was like the big tech companies of today, but out the rising stars and then complete the design.
Fortunateson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2022, 02:33 AM   #11
Tinker

Nikola Tesla ac/dc. Elephant in the room.

I'd guess my led is brighter and uses less energy.

History is interesting and has it's place.

MS-Dos was pretty much open source. Same with Apple. It was bought cheap and marketed. Created by inventors.

Like most things... Henry Ford got credit for the 32 ford. How much engineering do you think he did.

Last edited by Tinker; 06-29-2022 at 02:43 AM.
Old 06-29-2022, 07:06 AM   #12
oldandtired

Fortunateson...Back in the 1960's I worked for the lamp division of a major manufacturer of lightbulbs. I have no way of verifying the truth of what I was told back then. What I was told was that they did a study on how long a light bulb should last and the answer came back as when the typical purchaser could no longer remember when they had made the purchase. I have always been amazed at the longevity of some light bulbs compared to others. As examples, I do not recall ever having to change the lightbulb in my refrigerators over the years or in the ovens. I just replaced the oven last week because the oven quit after over 30 years and replacement parts are no longer available. The lights in it still worked just fine.
oldandtired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2022, 07:10 AM   #13
Charlie ny
BANNED

His genius was not in nuts and bolts but in vision. Tough and smart !

Charlie ny
Charlie ny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2022, 10:30 AM   #14
rotorwrench

The battery development by Tesla is what has made a dangerous combination of elements very useful for electric cars and all other modern electrical storage needs related to them.

I don't know all that much about Elon Musk but I do know that he grew up in South Africa. This makes him one of the few white African/Americans and that confuses some. Things have changed a lot in South Africa since he was born. I'm sure that puts a different perspective on how he views the United States. Even as messed up as this country can get at times, it's still a land of opportunity. Elon didn't invent the Lithium Ion battery but his company developed it in a process that is still active today to make them more efficient and safer to use. This is much the same as the development of the Edison light bulb. Henry Ford was slow to improve on the model T because he thought it the perfect car but his son Edsel and ever slowing sales gave him the initiative to get on with newer and better models.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2022, 04:48 PM   #15
swoopNZ
MEMBER EMERITUS

There's only one thing worse than dying poor, and that's dying rich.
I'd buy a Chevrolet before I'd buy a Tesla.
swoopNZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2022, 12:03 AM   #16
Tinker

2 things I'd throw out here.

First off people that are white really like to make a point that Elon is from Africa and white. Making him an African-american. So what. Heard that 20urs ago from a great creative french mind I worked with that was born in worked in johannesburg and moved to Florida. Thought it was very clever. The great Melting pot. No offense. Agree he is taking all that is available and making some since of it. I hope someone else comes along to carry that torch as he is not projecting as much forward confidence lately being preoccupation with how he looks lately. Granted him and Bezos doubled their worth over the covid thing.

Just a little bit of looking at history you might find great minds may not end well. Alan Turing comes to mind. Tesla too.

Second. dying poor is certainly worse then dying rich. Much better bed and healthcare. Being "middleclass" might be another discussion.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q3cUmHAs3yY

Like most things. It takes a village. But being we need a quick answer to a question we just put it all on one individual. But it's never how things are really done. Good to be the king "sometimes". As we say.

guy I like sometimes talking... Lot of thoughts... explore https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lHGOO4dXUvg

Last edited by Tinker; 07-01-2022 at 01:39 AM.
Old 07-01-2022, 12:30 AM   #17
Tinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie ny View Post
His genius was not in nuts and bolts but in vision. Tough and smart !

Charlie ny

I agree completely. and a few lawyers too. I can still be a fan of Henry without being myopic or singular.

There is something to be said for right place, right time. Stacked with straight forward mind set. Henry once said "if I asked what the people wanted, they would have said faster horses". But in later years he fell to that same thought.

No doubt a great innovator. Standing on a lot of great innovators at the same time. Normal stuff. Dodge brothers come to mind.

Last edited by Tinker; 07-01-2022 at 12:41 AM.