Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-31-2015, 03:02 PM   #1
Cape Codder

Default Setting toe-in

I'm trying to adjust the toe-in on the car with the string method. I have the drivers side at approx. 1/16" and the right side with approx. 1/2". Been adjusting back and forth for some time but can't get it to the 1/16" +- 1/32". What am I doing wrong?
Thanks for any help.
Cape Codder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 03:27 PM   #2
Bob C

Default Re: Setting toe-in

Marco has some good information on his site.
http://www.abarnyard.com/workshop/align.htm

Bob
Bob C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 04:10 PM   #3
Patrick L.

Toe-in should be 1/16" total, not individual sides. I think we could use some more info, I don't know how you are coming up with your measurements. Each ends have different threads, one right and one left, so, the tie-rod [connecting rod] is what is turned.
Patrick L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 05:23 PM   #4
Cape Codder

BOB C. - Thanks for the response, which is great info, however I'm trying to do it with the string method.
Patrick L. - Also thanks for your response. I understand all of the measurements and how the tie-rod is turned. The measurement is from a string run from the rear wheel pulled VERY tightly to the front wheel. The string should touch at the rear of the front side wall and should have approx. 1/32" at the front. The present measurement is 1/16" toe-in on the drivers side with the passenger side having approx. 1/2" toe-in.
Old 05-31-2015, 05:32 PM   #5
marc hildebrant

Cape Codder....could you explain the "string method " ?

Marc
marc hildebrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 05:39 PM   #6
Cape Codder

As in post #4 "The measurement is from a string run from the rear wheel pulled VERY tightly to the front wheel. The string should touch at the rear of the front side wall and should have approx. 1/32" at the front." That would give a 1/16" toe-in if I could get both wheels at that measurement.
Old 05-31-2015, 06:01 PM   #7
Bob C

Sounds like you need to toe it out 1/2" then you would have 1/16" toe in total.

Bob
Bob C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 06:50 PM   #8
Cape Codder

BOB C - I don't understand how I should "toe it out 1/2" then I would have 1/16" toe in total. I thought the measurement was 1/16" + or - 1/32" total toe in.
Old 05-31-2015, 07:14 PM   #9
Barry B./ Ma.

Joe, you have to do both wheels at once by turning the tie rod underneath until the wheel alignment is close to even. Probably best to put the front axle on jack stands to get the wheels just off the ground and turn the right hand/left hand threaded rod to get them both lined up, mark the center of both tires in front with a sharp nail to mark the center by rotating the wheels. Lower the front end back down to ground level and measure where you are at that point, I do that with a set of telescoping rods around 8" from the floor evenly on both sides measuring in front then rear of the wheels. If you can't get the proper toe in you may have a bent steering arm on the left or right side. You must have a lot of outside tire wear with that much toe in.
Barry B./ Ma. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 07:22 PM   #10
wmws
BANNED

Your string method is never going to get an accurate toe measurement. because it would all depend on how straight the front wheels are and when you are dealing with 1/32 of an inch you will always be off. Stick with the tried and true methods and you won't go wrong.
wmws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 07:36 PM   #11
Synchro909

Capecodder, Have you checked the wheels for true? If one of the front wheels is not running true or the tyre is not quite straight, you will get these weird readings. It might look good at one time but if the front wheel is "wobbly" and you turn it, you might get a whole different reading.
I use a piece of masking tape stuck to the tread on each front tyre and put a pen line on it. I have a piece of angle iron just a little longer than the distance between the wheels (track) with another piece welded to it at right angles. The second piece has a pointer on the end which is half the wheel diameter off the ground. I have another piece of angle the same as the one I welded onto the long one. I lay the long piece on the ground in front of the wheels so that the pointer is on one of the pen lines. I then clamp the second "pointer" to the long piece of angle so that it is on the other pen line. Now, roll the car forward so that the masking tape is now 1/2 way up the wheel but at the back. CAREFULLY move the angle iron to the rear of the wheels taking care not to bump it and upset the spacing between the pointers. For the toe in to be correct, when one pointer is on a pen line, the other should be 1/16" inside the other. Check and recheck because when you change the toe in ot get 1/16" at the back, you have changed the reading at the front as well. This method is not affected by wobbly wheels, crooked tyres or anything else.
Hope I have explained that clearly enough. PM me if not.

Last edited by Synchro909; 05-31-2015 at 08:23 PM.
Synchro909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 07:47 PM   #12
Mitch//pa
BANNED

Cape
The only way to accurately set the toe PERFECTLY is on a rack. Do u have a shop in your area that can throw it on for u. I am not suggesting going to a tire chain, pep boys or alike whistler shops.. Maybe a private proffesional place or just drive it down .

I have used my duby toe gauge and was never able to be right on... It's hit and miss
Mitch//pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 09:40 PM   #13
RonC

This gauge works well for setting the toe-in

http://www.wheel-a-matic.com/page6.html
RonC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 09:56 PM   #14
Tinbasher

Hi Cape Codder. Wheel alignment has some basic rules to follow.
1. Check and make sure all of the suspension parts are without wear.
2. Make sure the steering wheel is centred and the wheels in a straight ahead position.
3. Mark a spot on the front and rear of the front tires in the same location as high up as you can get them.
4. Measure across the front width of the tire. (With a Tape Measure)
5. Measure across the back width of the tire.
6. The difference is your toe. If the front is wider then the back it is Toe-ed out.
If the back is wider then the front then the front it is Toe-ed in. The front distance should be 1/16' less then the rear to get a correct setting. (A car with the steering arms behind the King pin will have Toe-in. When the friction on the wheels occur, the wheels will come to a zero or slight Toe-in condition.)

Hope this helps. John Poole
Tinbasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 10:11 PM   #15
cw253748

I've used the string method and I think I got good results. Cape Codder what you do is hook the string to one rear wheel and set one front tire to be at zero to in or out (the string should touch the front and back of the front tire at the same time). Then move the string to the other rear tire and set the other front tire to 1/16 toe in(back of the tire should touch the string and the front will have 1/16 gap between the tire and the string). Then you have a total toe in of 1/16
cw253748 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 10:37 PM   #16
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by cw253748 View Post
I've used the string method and I think I got good results. Cape Codder what you do is hook the string to one rear wheel and set one front tire to be at zero to in or out (the string should touch the front and back of the front tire at the same time). Then move the string to the other rear tire and set the other front tire to 1/16 toe in(back of the tire should touch the string and the front will have 1/16 gap between the tire and the string). Then you have a total toe in of 1/16
I'm assuming you measure 6" up and I would think you would want 1/32" each side from square for a total of 1/16"

\---/

Seems like your method would give you;

|--/

With the steering box centered, am I understanding your procedure incorrectly?
Old 05-31-2015, 11:08 PM   #17
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Codder View Post
I'm trying to adjust the toe-in on the car with the string method. I have the drivers side at approx. 1/16" and the right side with approx. 1/2". Been adjusting back and forth for some time but can't get it to the 1/16" +- 1/32". What am I doing wrong?
Thanks for any help.
After an adjustment are you rolling the car forward to check the measurement?
Old 05-31-2015, 11:10 PM   #18
Brian T

You need to set the toe and not be concerned as to whether the steering wheel is centered, if the wheel is off center it may have to be centered on the column, you cannot adjust one side then the other.
Old 05-31-2015, 11:31 PM   #19
31Abone

I tried string method as shown on youtube with bad results..do not use string method is my advice ..sc
31Abone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 01:26 AM   #20
Tom Wesenberg

Do not attempt to set toe-in by using the rear tires, as there are far too many variables that will throw off your results.

One easy method is to put a piece of masking tape on the front of each tire, and draw an X on the tape. Measure the distance between the two X's, then roll the car forward and measure the distance again. Since the rear can't be measured half way up due to the frame being in the way, just roll the car forward to measure the X's as high as you can just below the frame. This measurement is further from the tire center than the Ford method of 1/16", so if you make it 1/8", it will work fine.

In other words, if Ford's method is measured 1/16" toe-in at two points 15" apart, and my tape method is measured 1/8" toe-in at two points 30" apart, the tow-in will be the same. Using the tape method takes care of any slight wheel bend or tire problem having any effect on the end result.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote