Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-28-2021, 03:25 PM   #101
hotrodder1932

Default Re: Auction of Gene Hetland's mostly '32 parts

My experience has been nothing but bad. I bought multiple lots. No email or written invoice from Mecum. The shipping company informed me that 3 complete lots of parts plus one partial lot was missing. The two lots that were important to me included one lot of 7 runningboards plus another lot with 4 sets of finned aluminim heads which included a pair of rare Smith waterpipe heads. Once I brought this to Mecums attention, after several weeks of back and forth, they acknowledged that they were not there, i was charged for them. I have a balance remaining of about $14k for parts remaining. I have challenged my credit card charge . I refused to complete the transaction because Mecum refused to supply an inventory list of the parts being shipped and went so far as to say whatever I got, that was it. No complaints, no recourse. I refuse to do that so I am prepared for legal action. I will NEVER buy anything at an absentee auction again. I thought Mecum was a reputable compay but they have treated me poorly and bullied me into accepting everything on their terms, one being never responding to emails because it puts my concers and their response into writing.
hotrodder1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 03:49 PM   #102
Tim Ayers

Default Re: Auction of Gene Hetland's mostly '32 parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotrodder1932 View Post
My experience has been nothing but bad. I bought multiple lots. No email or written invoice from Mecum. The shipping company informed me that 3 complete lots of parts plus one partial lot was missing. The two lots that were important to me included one lot of 7 runningboards plus another lot with 4 sets of finned aluminim heads which included a pair of rare Smith waterpipe heads. Once I brought this to Mecums attention, after several weeks of back and forth, they acknowledged that they were not there, i was charged for them. I have a balance remaining of about $14k for parts remaining. I have challenged my credit card charge . I refused to complete the transaction because Mecum refused to supply an inventory list of the parts being shipped and went so far as to say whatever I got, that was it. No complaints, no recourse. I refuse to do that so I am prepared for legal action. I will NEVER buy anything at an absentee auction again. I thought Mecum was a reputable compay but they have treated me poorly and bullied me into accepting everything on their terms, one being never responding to emails because it puts my concers and their response into writing.
I'm sorry to hear of your issues with Mecum auction. That really stinks that it has become such a fiscal loss for you.

I'm not posting this to aggravate you, but my experience was the opposite. I was missing one item that was clearly in the lot picts. I contacted Tiffany a few times and she was able to track it down and shipped it out to me for no charge.

I was feeling pretty good about the experience since it was my first time doing anything remotely like this.

After hearing your story, I feel bad for I'm sure others are in your position.

I hope Mecum learns from all this and tries to improve their actions going forward. Some of the pictures of the offered lots and the descriptions they gave for them left a lot to be desired.

I'm hopeful you'll get it all sorted out soon.
Tim Ayers is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)