Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-12-2021, 04:38 PM   #1
grumppyoldman

Default Failing health

I'm having some health problems BPPV (Vertigo} which keeps me from getting around and doing my car thing. Seems like turning 83 was the turning point, spent 4 days in hospital thinking I had a stroke. So i don't guess I'll be getting on the Ford Barn like I've been doing. I'll still check the site to keep my mind busy and see what you guys are up too. Probably wind up selling both cars, if it's not safe for me to drive. I've really enjoyed visting The Barn and sharing ideas with y'all, Have learned a lot from everyone. Thanks Al
grumppyoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2021, 04:43 PM   #2
ford38v8

Default Re: Failing health

Al, Here's hoping your vertigo becomes more tolerant for you, and that we'll hear lots more from you in the future. We are all getting on in age and condition, and this Forum becomes more and more valuable to us all!
Old 02-12-2021, 04:43 PM   #3
KiWinUS

Thanks for you FB friendship. So sorry to hear of your condition. Prayers for you. Thanks
KiWinUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2021, 04:59 PM   #4
Mart

Hello Al.

I had a bout of vertigo, I didn't know what it was and thought I'd had a stroke. It took a while but it did wear off, and I haven't had any effects lately so keep your chin up. I'm not sure if age is a factor, but it was just over a year ago and I'm 62 now. It can be something as simple as a viral infection affecting the inner ear.

I think it can come and go rather than be a permanent thing. It was so bad I found it difficult to walk without help. I could drive though, because sitting still in the car didn't trigger it.

Hope this may be of some reassurance to you.

Mart.
Mart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2021, 05:31 PM   #5
Zeke3

Al, thanks for letting us know. All the best to you, may your condition improve soon. Know that we are praying for you.
Zeke3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2021, 05:32 PM   #6
flatford8

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
I had a hard time with it a few years ago also. I’m sure this sounds silly but I changed to a flat pillow and haven’t had any real issues since. It was probably an inner ear thing like Mart mentioned. I hope you get well. Keep checking in and let us know how you are...... Mark
Billy Joe Shaver
flatford8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2021, 05:36 PM   #7
Lawrie

Mate had it, he is 65 ,changed his diet and lost a bit of weight and so far he is fine.
Take care ,
Lawrie
Lawrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2021, 05:40 PM   #8
hope

DITTO at 85 years,
hope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2021, 05:47 PM   #9
Ol' Ron

Yes, I've been up in the VA several times over the past coupla months for similar reasons. They seem to have the bP under control, so I'm back on the shop on limited basis now. Got my covid shot last Monday. Trying to find some photos of someof the modifications I've made over the years.
Gramps
Ol' Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2021, 05:47 PM   #10
fifty-one f-1

Very sorry to here you have vertigo. I also have it. I had to go to the Dizzy and balance center it helped alot. They have exersizes that retrain your brain. Drink lots of water!!! No caffeine. Its a big deal. I hope this helps and you feel better soon.
fifty-one f-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2021, 06:53 PM   #11
Lawson Cox

Take care of yourself Grumpy. I know the grumpy part but haven't experienced vertigo thankfully. I'm in my 90th year and in pretty good shape for the shape I'm in.

It is better to be seen, than viewed.

"We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm".
Lawson Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2021, 07:25 PM   #12
Ggmac

Had vertigo so bad , I was on all fors trying to find my mouth with my hand . No joke , everything was spinning , sick to my stomach, sweating. Finally had some tests and came up with Minars disease ? Spelling may be off . It passed , changed my caffeine intake , salt and diet sodas .
Prayers to you my friend. Stay positive and hydrated.
Ggmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2021, 10:48 PM   #13
drolston

Had a bad session with Vertigo a little over a year ago. Went to the Dizzy Clinic. They figured out which ear was the problem and taught me the Epley maneuver. Google it. I did it two or three times a day for a month and the problem completely cleared up. Just be sure you know which direction to do it.
drolston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2021, 10:56 PM   #14
Craig CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by grumppyoldman View Post
I'm having some health problems BPPV (Vertigo} which keeps me from getting around and doing my car thing. Seems like turning 83 was the turning point, spent 4 days in hospital thinking I had a stroke. So i don't guess I'll be getting on the Ford Barn like I've been doing. I'll still check the site to keep my mind busy and see what you guys are up too. Probably wind up selling both cars, if it's not safe for me to drive. I've really enjoyed visting The Barn and sharing ideas with y'all, Have learned a lot from everyone. Thanks Al
Hi Al; Years ago I drank every day so you could say I suffered self induced vertigo. I've also had some vertigo in sobriety not too often but I have an understanding of what you're going through. Around a year ago my thinking got a little sideways for awhile, that was weird. At the end of the day you have alot of people that really care about you and that's priceless. God bless, Craig.
Old 02-12-2021, 11:18 PM   #15
Scotty's 52 F3

Breaks my heart to read posts like this. Reading other's experience with the same condition AND getting better at least gives you some hope. I'm praying you DO get better.
Scotty's 52 F3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2021, 11:19 PM   #16
Aarongriffey

We all look forward to you getting over it.
Keep us posted. Many of us will be checking this site a couple times a day waiting to read the good news that you are getting over everything.
There is hope, others have gotten over it.
Aarongriffey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2021, 11:30 PM   #17
papanomad

when you read about the epley maneuver it sounds weird, but it works.
papanomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2021, 11:42 PM   #18
Fortunateson

I had the vertigo thing about 15 years ago. I was teaching a Math class and I just felt wobbly but thankfully it was just before recess. At th break I informed the vice principal and said I'd need to lay down for a few extra minutes. He Calle dan ambulance and as I was being wheeeled out I could swear the students were cheating! LOL. Anyway it cleared up after a few hours and never returned. Have faith and take care.
Fortunateson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2021, 12:21 AM   #19
JM 35 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ggmac View Post
Had vertigo so bad , I was on all fors trying to find my mouth with my hand . No joke , everything was spinning , sick to my stomach, sweating. Finally had some tests and came up with Minars disease ? Spelling may be off . It passed , changed my caffeine intake , salt and diet sodas .
Prayers to you my friend. Stay positive and hydrated.
I came down with the same thing (Meniere's Disease) in 2007, about 3 years into retirement. Completely disabled me for nearly 2 years. Sick as a dog almost every day. Lost about 45-50 lbs. Severe tinitius/ringing in both ears, then severe loss of hearing in both ears. Finally came out of most of the dizziness and nausea through medication and diet, but still suffer with severe tinitius and loss of most hearing. Having a great family for support was probably the biggest factor for getting me back on my feet. Getting old is no fun, but we just do the best we can, for as long as possible.

Grumppyoldman, wishing you the best with your health issues. Hang in there....stay positive, and good luck!!

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein

Last edited by JM 35 Sedan; 02-13-2021 at 12:42 AM.
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2021, 12:24 AM   #20
TomT/Williamsburg

I do not know you and I do not mean to presume anything. However, I have always been of the opinion that a body in motion stays in motion, no matter what age or condition, and laughter is wonderful medicine. Do not throw in the the towel just yet. Give it some time (as we get older we need a little more time to heal), have your hearing checked just to be sure there is no issue there, and deal with it the best you can. A positive attitude and a forward outlook that things can and will get better is your best medicine. Get on the Barn here and talk with people as much as you can her, by phone, whatever way you can. This pandemic has shuttered in way too many of the kids and the over 65 crowd. Stay social, stay engaged, and “stay in the game”! Feel free to message me here whenever just to chat - no problem!

Never give up ......
TomT/Williamsburg is offline   Reply With Quote