Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-29-2018, 10:34 AM   #1
TJ97tim

Default Millennials decided on an "A"

Hello All,

New to the forum. New to A's. New to Vintage cars in general.

My wife and I were sitting down and coming up with what we would like to have/do/experience next. We have done the motorcycling thing, we have been blessed with good jobs and a DIY attitude (Large home renovation almost complete, except it is never complete). We don't have any kids yet, but will be starting that in the next few years. At this point in time, we are ready to fill an empty spot in the garage. We explored a lot of different things; mustangs, T-bird, corvettes, muscle car, British, Italian or something that runs, etc. We have come up to the conclusion of an A. We are millennials, the wisdom from Old Timers in this hobby is going to be our best help. I have a second cousin with one, but I think it is just something that sits in his barn that was a hand-me-down.

Questions:

Body Styles? We want to be able to take it for family drives. Do some long drives, weekend vacations, extended touring. We will run it a lot, probably 3 times a week to work either my wife or myself.

Years? What range is best?

6v ok or 12v a must? I know on Ford 8ns the 12v is a must for ignition.

Any club members in the Pittsburgh, PA area? I would love to stop by and get educated.

We are happy to get into this hobby and we are grateful for all the help.

Thanks to the forum,

Tim
TJ97tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 10:58 AM   #2
BillEbob

Default Re: Millennials decided on an "A"

Welcome! You WILL get an education here!

So, you thought that home renovation was expensive, right? Welcome to the world of spending lots of $ on the toy you will learn to love!

Everyone (rightfully) will tell you to look up the Model A club closest to you. "We" members LOVE to show off our cars to potential newbies to the hobby. That is where I learned that the coupe I had been considering would never work for my frame (I'm too big to comfortably fit in a coupe. )

Ask ALL the questions you can think of, someone or MANY "someone's" will HAPPILY give you their opinions! (Just don't ask about 'oil!" NO TWO PEOPLE SEEM TO AGREE!!! Lol!)

Again, WELCOME

Bill
BillEbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 11:10 AM   #3
aermotor

To me, a 28 -31 Tudor as close to original as possible and 6 volt can't be beaten, cost, parts availability, simplicity and the use you want it for to name a few reasons.

John
aermotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 11:16 AM   #4
slammin

Welcome to the Barn and the wonderful world of Model As! Check out http://www.mafca.com/ to find a local club. Read everything you can get your hands on as well as this website and several others that cover early Fords. For a family car, a Tudor will be your best bet. The Fordors are roomier, but you will learn that they have a lot of wood structure in the bodies and are expensive to repair. Have fun with your search!
slammin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 11:42 AM   #5
JayGriff

Welcome! I'm also new to the barn and to my new (to me) 30 coupe. I too endorse getting plugged in with your local club. Without them I would probably not even have my A started up yet. Prepare for a crash course in Model A mechanics. After only a few short months I can now rebuild a carb, set timing, replace a starter switch, install alternator, adjust brakes, troubleshoot headlight circuit short, etc., not to mention double clutch and downshift without so much as a whisper from the gear box! My car is a 12V conversion, and you will find opinions across the board about that.

If you intend to tour with more than 1 or 2 passengers, or if you are of large stature, a coupe or pick up is not for you, even if it has a rumble seat (which is very cool but a safety issue for me).

Good luck on your "A"dventure!
JayGriff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 11:51 AM   #6
heneste

Station wagons are good for multiple passengers but the downside to them can be if you don't have the side curtains, you do have more weather exposure than a closed car. Much the same as the coupe or pickup was mentioned, the front seat doesn't adjust so you do have limited driving room. They're still a blast to drive though!
heneste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 12:55 PM   #7
mhsprecher

Fordor or Town Sedan. Very practical and comfortable. The 31 slant window has less wood in the body construction, a plus.
mhsprecher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 01:15 PM   #8
California Travieso

Send a message via Yahoo to California Travieso

TJ,

Welcome to the Barn. You said you have a cousin that has an A. My advice is to drive it if it is running. My wife's first reaction when we bought our stock Roadster was it doesn't have enough power and it doesn't go fast enough to keep up with traffic. I recently bought a bunch of good parts for my project car from two guys who decided to strip their roadsters and put V-8 engines.

Most of the Barners have touring engines and other modifications so they can drive faster. Most millinials don't like to go slow so you should be aware you may not like it after the newness wears off.

If it doesn't run you may want to join a Model A club and see if you and your cousin can work on it and get it started. You'll learn a lot from the club members and from working on the car so you'll know what to look for when you buy one.

You should also read as much as you can. Some of the clubs also have seminars and tech sessions where you can learn a lot.

Good luck,

David Serrano
California Travieso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 01:39 PM   #9
jwilliams81

Tim,

Welcome!
I am 36 year old DINK (Dual Income No Kids) and have had my 31' Town Sedan for a year. Last year I drove my car everywhere I could, including to work everyday. I put 5,000 miles on her in my first year of ownership. Over the winter I torn in the brakes, engine, and transmission fixing everything I had made note of all year. While not needed to keep her going the same, I knew some things could be better. I can not recommend an A enough. The initial price of the car is less than most hobby cars. The price of parts is significantly less. The knowledge need to work on the cars is less, no computers. And the overall "simplicity" of the car is staggering. It is truly amazing to see how well engineered the cars are and to see what Henry did almost 100 years ago.

If and when you buy a car, keep it 6V.

My wife and I have really enjoyed taking the car to car shows, participating in a local 1940's day, and most of all joining our local Model A club.
I can not stress how important it is to join your local club, even before you buy a car.

I would recommend joining both national clubs, MAFCA and MARC. There is a wealth of information to be found on both coasts. Nothing against MAFCA, I am a member of them as well, but since you are on the east coast I would start by joining MARC.

Here is the list of local MARC clubs:
http://model-a-ford.org/regions/region-list/

Join the MARC Facebook Page:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/MARCFordGroup/
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20170812_145140.jpg (34.0 KB, 206 views)
File Type: jpg Helen together.jpg (68.5 KB, 306 views)
File Type: jpg exterior1.jpg (68.6 KB, 231 views)

Last edited by jwilliams81; 03-29-2018 at 03:46 PM.
jwilliams81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 01:47 PM   #10
1930artdeco

Welcome Tim,

Glad you caught the addiction. I will give you my opinion on your questions:

Years: How big are you? The 28/9 seem to be a little smaller than the 30/1's. Other than that it is preference.

6v/12v: Opinion here, the system was designed for 6v and works just fine that way. However, if you want to drive at night then 12v will give you brighter headlights and a faster starter but that generally is about it. Oh yeah, batteries are easier to get.

Body style? I agree with the other suggestions about a sedan. Like it was said the 28-early 30 fordors have a wood body, clad in steel. If the wood has been redone already go for it. If is bad then that can get REALLY expensive.

Grab some books, get into a local club (search the MAFCA or MARC websites) and have fun buying it and the tools. Then just enjoy the smiles and fun.

Mike
Old 03-29-2018, 02:02 PM   #11
antiquepa

Welcome to the Barn, lots of questions, lots of answers..join a club, every model A is different, i have a roadster and a 4 door..like im both. we love going in the model A. The only problem is if you got more then one..which one to take. what ever you buy, im sure you will enjoy..drive them and have fun. Again..WELCOME TO THE BARN..!!
antiquepa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 02:50 PM   #12
SSsssteamer

I have owned most of all of the model A Ford body styles an my first choice is the Tudor. The model A Tudor I have found is the easiest for me to get in and out of, good for all weather enjoyment, it is easy to load, it has the room for company, it handles well in modern traffic, and it is the most enjoyable to drive.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2018 Valentine's Day Tour snow small file.jpg (76.1 KB, 130 views)
SSsssteamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 04:11 PM   #13
30ccpickup

Body Styles http://www.gwcmodela.com/bodyphotos.asp

Fordbarners, Feel free to use the pictures on my site to answer questions and create tutorials/tech articles.
30ccpickup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 04:31 PM   #14
flatford39

31 slant window would be my pic. They have very little wood and are pretty comfortable cars to drive in with plenty of room for suitcases and or kids. You are going to want one with a Mitchell overdrive to make touring enjoyable on the highway.
flatford39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 04:39 PM   #15
Synchro909

Advice here from the other side of the world might seem strange at first glance but the international part of owning one (or more) of these cars and the contacts/friends you make is not to be forgotten.
If it gets cold where you are, I agree with the recommendations for a closed car, a Tudor or Fordor would be my suggestion too. You said that you intend starting a family soon and I assume you intend bringing the "younguns" along with you. When they are still babies, you will have to reach into the back of a Tudor to get to them which might be a hassle but a 4 door car will make that easier. As has been said above though, there is plenty of wood in them though. Once the kids are a little older, a Tudor is a better idea because they won't be able to open a door at the wrong moment and fall onto the road. I think I'd put up with a couple of years reaching into the back of the car for even more years of peace of mind. Check out the various bodies at your local club and talk to owners, even go for a ride.
I second those who suggest a Tudor.
Old 03-29-2018, 05:03 PM   #16
Jim M

I would suggest at least looking at a roadster with a rumble seat. Plenty of room for a young couple in the front and a lot of fun to haul friends in the rumble seat. No matter where I go with mine there is soon a crowd gathered round looking at it and the top is ALWAYS (except when we get the occasional unexpected black cloud that come over) down and you get to see all the scenery. Guess we are all prejudiced for our cars but I would not trade my roadster for anything. And even if you are not really mechanically inclined they are still fun to work on and you can find EVERY answer to any question here on the forum. Good luck and you really can't make a wrong decision.
Jim M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 05:17 PM   #17
mhsprecher

If you are like many of us, you will end up with more than one. I bought my TS first and than a roadster came along and I had to have it. I love them both.
mhsprecher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 05:42 PM   #18
JDupuis

Welcome to the Barn. Jeff
Old 03-29-2018, 06:30 PM   #19
daveymc29

I haven't read all the posts so maybe I am repeating some. You can join the Model A Ford Club of America (mafca) free, as you have never been a member. Just go to mafca.com and I'm sure there will be instructions or search for Jim Cannon's post on this site for a link. I live in Danville, CA and belong to both mafca and mark. I have lot's of knowledge gleaned from the magazines that they put out and from fellow members. This site is wonderfull. Not all of us have every answer and on some subjects you will find you set off a firestorm by asking a simple question. Don't be put off by that, at some point we learn whom to listen to and when to say thanks and walk away. Welcome to our family of friends. Personally, I like the 6V, positive ground system, though I do use an alternator. Also, if your machine has the original two bladed fan I'd pull it off and buy an aluminum one from Snyder's, Bert's of Bratton's. Keep it in case you decide to make a high point car but that is about all they are good for. Oh, they will help you in deciding if you need to work on the radiator or replace the hood. Don't bother to ask how so many of us know this. Again Welcome. If you ever come to CA look up Henry's A's. We'll make you an officer in a heart beat.

Dave Mc Arthur
http://bit.ly/FromtheShadows Click on it.
daveymc29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 08:42 PM   #20
michael a

Oh hell yes jump in and get your feet wet

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk
michael a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 09:49 PM   #21

I’d say that the “A’s” are more popular than ever before. 20 years ago, I thought that they would be dying off but I was wrong. Reason being is that it is easy to get into for not too much money compared to other cars plus it really has quite a history on it, relatively cheap and fun, totally special and unique.

I went with 12 volt system to make it easier to get parts down the road. My car will be left to the next geners that will not have the same knowledge that I have and I am building in a lot to make things more versatile for them in the next 50 years. I have a 28 fordor and it is small for me, when I was growing up it was huge but now, I’m the huge one. 30’s& 31’s are a little larger for modern man I hear.

Fairly good community of us even though some of us are a little touched and really into our hobby. I’d say we don’t take ourselves too seriously, just really focused on the cars and that’s where the fun comes in.
28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 09:49 PM   #22
old car guy

Tim welcome to the Barn. One suggestion is to buy the best that you can afford. In the long run you will be money ahead. And get a club member or members in your area to go With you to help on the purchase of your garage baby. And another thing to remember is when you sell the house all you get to take with you is the memories, but when you leave the house for the last time your model A will be in your new garage. A good car will and can stay with you and your love ones a lifetime. Enjoy the hobby there are none better,
Old 03-29-2018, 11:21 PM   #23
Dodge

Hi Tim and welcome also. I can’t add much to what has already been said It’s all good advise. I also can’t stress enough that you take some one knowledgeable with you when you find one you think you are going to buy.
Good luck and let the fun begin.
Dodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 11:37 PM   #24
3.6rs

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwilliams81 View Post
Tim,

Welcome!
I am 36 year old DINK (Dual Income No Kids) and have had my 31' Town Sedan for a year....
You have so much good things to say about the Ford A, but you talk in the past... Why ? You only drove it one year.
3.6rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2018, 05:41 AM   #25
Del in NE Ohio

I see you are in Butler, PA. So you are 25-30 min from Snyder’s Antique Auto Parts. I would suggest a visit and meet the folks there. See what kind of support is right in your neighborhood. I retired from Snyder’s 3 years ago and my little shop is just down the road. Would be glad to “consult” PM me if you would like.
Del in NE Ohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2018, 09:49 AM   #26
burner31

If you are planning on driving you and your freinds around, and later kids, I think you have but one choice...1931 town sedan, the Murray would be nice.
Of course I'm biased, less wood, more room, and they look and drive great, very classy.
burner31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2018, 09:51 AM   #27
rosenkranswa

I completely endorse the idea of a sedan for space, weatherproofing, and touring. Keep it 6v and as original as possible - in my experience its the new add-ons that seem to go wrong the most on tours and then its hard to fix because everybody else has tools/parts for original equipment.

By the way the Model T International Club is having their national tour in Butler in July. Worth going over to look at the cars and chat with the folks, maybe even get to ride along for the day. Lots of T drivers have A's as well.

'19 T Speedster
'26 T Touring
'29 A Roadster
'30 AA Stakebed
'30 A Pickup
'30 A Town Sedan
'31 A Station Wagon
'38 Columbia Girls bike (WWII)
'40 Elgin Boys bike (WWII)
'42 Super Deluxe Tudor
'42 Willys MB Jeep
'43 Willys MBT Trailer
'43 M3A4 Hand Cart
'43 Harley Davidson 42WLA with sidecar
rosenkranswa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2018, 10:08 AM   #28
burner31

[QUOTE=daveymc29;1611327] You can join the Model A Ford Club of America (mafca) free, as you have never been a member.

Davey, tell me more on how to join for free, I find nothing on how to do that
burner31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2018, 11:46 AM   #29
LeroyM

30-31 coupe or roadster since they have more leg room then the 28's & 29's. Convert it over to 12 volt and change the brakes to hydraulics. Change the drive train over to something modern so you have fewer problems and can keep up with highway traffic at speed.

I would avoid hauling any kids in an older car like a Model A because of the people on the roads theses days and the lack of safety features.
LeroyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2018, 12:10 PM   #30
Charlie Stephens

Quote:
Originally Posted by burner31 View Post
If you are planning on driving you and your freinds around, and later kids, I think you have but one choice...1931 town sedan, the Murray would be nice.
Of course I'm biased, less wood, more room, and they look and drive great, very classy.
Is there any reason you specified the Murray? I thought both builders were basically the same.

Charlie Stephens
Charlie Stephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2018, 12:27 PM   #31
Dick M

Send a message via Yahoo to Dick M

I would recommend the Tudor. You can always move the drivers seat back a bit for more leg room if needed. Any Model A year will work well for you. I strongly suggest you buy the best A you can afford. The more done by the previous owner the less you have to deal with. An overdrive unit is a real plus for touring. It will keep the rpms down and extend your engine life. It would also be to your advantage to find an experienced Model A person to help you with your purchase. They can guide you to your best option. Welcome and good luck!!
Dick M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2018, 12:33 PM   #32
SeaSlugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeroyM View Post
30-31 coupe or roadster since they have more leg room then the 28's & 29's. Convert it over to 12 volt and change the brakes to hydraulics. Change the drive train over to something modern so you have fewer problems and can keep up with highway traffic at speed.

I would avoid hauling any kids in an older car like a Model A because of the people on the roads theses days and the lack of safety features.
geez at that point sounds like they should just restore a 1992 Taurus..

To me the whole point of owning a vintage car is so you get to experience it in the full.

If a model A is properly restored from tires to roof you wont have many problems and will be reliable. If you do have an issue most can be fixed on the side of the road. You can install seatbelts front and back, add turnsignals, add pass side brake/taillight and battery shutoff as safety features and wont detract from the experience.

yes i probably wouldnt daily drive one with kids in it but a weekend toy would be great.

Yes stock they are not really interstate cars - but thats a great thing as you get to explore the old highways and backroads. Even in a modern antique those roads are fun to explore and see alot of neat stuff along the way - or spy on hidden cars in barns
Old 03-30-2018, 02:41 PM   #33
Mike Peters

I looked at your profile and you state that your occupation is medical devices. That's good, because if you can fix medical devices, then you can also fix Model A's. Our first Model A was a 28 Tudor back in the 80's. Our two kids spent half their childhood in the back seat of that car. Great memories. Others say the same thing. Listen to them. Keep it stock. Six volts and mechanical brakes. The model A Ford is no longer a Model A with modern updates. Welcome!!!!!!!!
Mike Peters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2018, 04:19 PM   #34
TJ97tim

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome.

Looks like Tudor or Town Sedan is the consensus for the sake of 2+ driving. Keeping the 6v and originiality makes sense.

We are thinking about buying fully restored. $20-30k, from what I am seeing pricing wise we should be getting into something close to an upper level driver. Going to keep it for generations so we don't mind spending a little extra.

Are there better restored that I should be aware of?

We will check out Snyder's!

Thanks Fordbarn!
TJ97tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2018, 07:02 PM   #35
devoreb

TJ97Tim
I have three model A's. The first was a 29Tudor I bought and restored in 97. Then I bought a 28 roadster in 2003 for $400 with a tree growing through it. I restored it over a three year period. Two years ago I purchased a 31 Cabriolet. If I had started with the Cab I would not have the other two. I love to look , drive and tour in all three. My suggestion is get what you want, and I hope you and your family enjoy it. My son is now 23 and he will tell you he grew up in the back seat of a 29 Ford. Also I am originally from Pittsburgh (Monongahela) and sorry I don't know anyone that can help you.
devoreb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2018, 07:14 PM   #36
Jacksonlll

Send a message via ICQ to Jacksonlll

Check your messages
Jacksonlll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2018, 07:37 PM   #37
slammin

Daveymc29,
I can't find anything about a free membership anywhere on the MAFCA website. The only perk I find for new members is:
For New Members Only! (for an extra $11.00, above the $50.00 one year membership)
1 - Back issue of The Restorer
1 - MAFCA Lapel Pin
1 - MAFCA Decal
1 - Name Badge
slammin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2018, 09:05 AM   #38
Doug Linden

MAFCA is continuing to offer a free 1 year membership for those Model A'ers who have never been a MAFCA member. All local Chapters were sent application forms earlier, but if you didn't see them or are not a members of a local chapter please email me at:

[email protected]

and I will be happy to send you a form.
Doug
Doug Linden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 09:46 AM   #39
Lona

Welcome to the Barn!

For the price you are willing to pay, you can get a really nice fully restored model style of your choice. Thing to ask yourself.... are you ok with the heavy amount of mileage you expect to travel in a pristine vehicle which likely will not be pristine after a year or so of on road driving? Many barners pay far less for daily drivers that are mechanically top notch and reliable vehicles but not necessarily show winners to look at. They are not worried about taking them anywhere nor of any dings and scratches they all seem to accumulate along the way.

Also, any Model A and its passengers will come out on the losing end of a collision with another car or truck. It might be wise to consider one with already existing seat belts and shoulder harnesses or at least determine how you or someone else will be able to mount them after the purchase.

These cars are beauty in their style and simplicity and once you have one, they will be in your blood forever.

Glen
'36 Auburn Boattail Speedster replica
Lona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 11:18 AM   #40
Terry, NJ

Welcome to the Barn! And Happy Easter! An "A" is an excellent choice for many reasons. As a Family heirloom for one! Availability of parts and knowledge. But I will contend that they are not easy to work on. Some things, yeah, but drivelines are a pain. Make sure all your fluids and oils are topped off. Also, when dealing with a 85 year old car, funny things happen, like rust in the gas tank that clogs your fuel system, or the chassis rusting out. Things that you never have happen to a modern car. Also, you must deal with"oldtimers" who genuinely believe things like straight weight, non detergent oil is best because that what "Henry" said to use, Yeah, 80 years ago! Keep the 6 volt and the mechanical brakes. Just be aware that it sometimes needs an auxiliraly ground cable to the engine it's self. The old paths for the ground get "Clogged" up with dirt and rust (mainly rust) and don't carry the current so well any more. Good luck! and we do have all the answers!
Terry
Terry, NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 03:14 PM   #41
Fast31

I bought an “older restauration”. I am a trained engineer and have a fully equipped workshop with welders, lathe etc. and I need it! I have spend a year of my free time and my A is still not running. I like inspecting and repairing all the worn parts. But if you do not have the experience and drive to do so, buy a fully restored Model A. It’s cheaper in the end and you’re on the road instantly. Join a club and take an experienced member with you when you check out a potential car. Good luck, happy hunting!
Fast31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 09:21 AM   #42
ryanheacox

Just to chime in as another millennial (I'll be 24 at the end of the month), I agree with everyone else that says to keep it stock. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised with just how well an A performs in its stock form.

I got lucky and spent a majority of my formative years with my grandfather (my Fordor was his) who taught me old tips and tricks that you just can't learn from any book. He also always said, "Fix it when it breaks don't fix it till it breaks".

I'm sure you'll be happy with whatever model you decide on and welcome to the hobby!
ryanheacox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 09:06 PM   #43
fordf1trucknut

I am about an hour away from Pittsburgh..(and store my A even closer)If you want to take a ride in an A shoot me a message when the weather gets a bit nicer. 37 here with a wife and 2 kids, our coupe with rumble seat fits us fine but not much room to take much more than ourselves.
30 coupe (traditional hotrod)
31 pickup
38 standard
42 gpw (ford army jeep)
48 f-1
52 f-1
52 f-1 4x4
55 chevy
55 m38a1
56 Victoria
68 bronco
70 land rover
72 club wagon
fordf1trucknut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 10:04 PM   #44
TerryH

I happen to agree that the Town Sedan is a great choice....very comfortable and roomy. If you buy a very nicely restored one, like I did about 12 years ago, you can also buy an earlier one, where the wood structure will not be an issue....you don’t have to buy a 1931. I also have 6 younger granddaughters, who get lots of rides in the A, and I have never had an issue or concern with the rear doors opening...again, a nicely restored car will avoid many of these issues. If you intend to drive it frequently, and on anything but rural roads, I would sure recommend buying one with an overdrive. Mitchell makes an outstanding unit, and many Town Sedans will have one. But be very careful, and ask to see pictures and a list of what was in the restoration. Even better, find someone in your local club to look at the cars with you.....their experience with Model A’s will be well worth it!
TerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 08:08 AM   #45
1930artdeco

I have a 30 Townsedan (love her), and I don't have a Mitchell OD-YET! For now, this is what I have done to help keep up with modern traffic. Snyder's High Compression head, 'B' cam and a Marvel carb. With this configuration, I can drive 55 all day long on the freeway and she seems comfortable at that speed. Although I generally cruise at 50-52. So yes an OD is preferred for this body style as she is heavy for the little engine we have. But it is not required. It WILL, be easier on the bearings in the long run and just easier on the engine.

Mike
Old 04-03-2018, 03:20 PM   #46
2935ford

I have not read all the posts here but........
as simple as the Model A appears to be there are lots of things you will need to know and get to know soon enough.

Have a good look around....do your research just like you would with any car.

Model A's in stock form are unique and can give lots of (s)miles.
Keep in mind many of todays drivers have no patients for these cars and get antsy being behind one.

My suggestion......after deciding what year/model, buy a good, properly restored A. It puts you on the road right away.
If you decide to buy one to work on or restore keep in mind it can get expensive and some of the new repop parts aren't near as good as originals.

Good luck with your decision.
2935ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 12:24 AM   #47
Karl

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeroyM View Post

Jeez Leroy they might as well just buy a modern car.
I've done 10's of thousands of miles in various Model A's
Mine are/were all stock and cruise at 55 + mph all day plenty fast enough for me to be on national highways.

I see no advantage in hydraulic brakes over properly set up mechanical brakes . All mine have mechanical brakes and I can lock the wheels up at any speed I'm travelling at . Once the wheels are locked up and skidding on those narrow tires hydraulics aren't going to stop you any faster ! The issue is that most peoples brakes aren't set up properly or have been set up with worn or inferior repo parts -Hydraulics are better than those brakes but what wouldn't be.

All my cars are 6v and it works fine - 12v has the advantage that replacing bulbs on tour is easier as you can find them at any parts outlet -I carry spare 6V bulbs

I share your concerns re safety , I guess you are safer than a motorbike but again what isn't . I do worry when I have my family in the car and sometimes will make them travel to our rally destination in a modern and I will take the A on my own particularly if it is a long way to travel on a busy road . Otherwise I just drive very defensively and pray a little

Karl
Karl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 08:08 AM   #48
denis4x4

As Karl said, "I just drive very defensively and pray a little"

There are places where I will no longer drive my A's due to the traffic. It doesn't matter if your car has 12v or 6v, the bimbo on her cell phone doesn't know the difference. On the other hand, there are plenty of places in rural southwest Colorado where I can enjoy a drive without any stress.
Old 04-04-2018, 09:17 AM   #49
Barry B./ Ma.

If you are going to buy it to drive I would recommend you stay off the interstates, they just aren't designed to travel at 80 mph in stock form. I travel arond 50 mph max always thinking of the near 100 year old wheels rotating under me. There are other considerations also like seatbelts, steering and suspension that don't compare to modern vehicles. Those half asleep drivers behind you can come up too fast. Good luck and be careful.
Barry B./ Ma. is offline   Reply With Quote