Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-03-2011, 12:30 PM   #1
1928Pickuppain

Default Snow Chains

So a few of you may have read my (I did it this time) post and know i got my truck stuck. you guys gave me a few ideas but havent actualy had the time to try the rope trick yet and it got me thinking why buy rope for a one time use when i could buy chain and make a set up for permante use. Now I have herd that tire chains damage the rim paint so i plan to design a set that wont even touch the rim. Ill probley make up a set on saterday to try and if they work good and dont damage the rim paint ill make a 2nd set. Would any one be interested in the other set if my endvor proves sucsessfull, and what would be a fair price for a pair?
1928Pickuppain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 01:29 PM   #2
JD Miller

Default Re: Snow Chains

If a set of tire chains touch the edge of the rim then they are too big for that application. Properly fitting chains will not touch the edge of the rim.

Folks are digging out all manner of chains and using them on a Model A without regard to proper size.

Another alternative would be a set of the chains that were made for emergency use to get a car moving that was stuck in the snow. These chains used the chain slots on 15 or 16 inch wheels. These chains had heavy canvas straps that had the cross link attached. The canvas strap went through the chain slot and were fastened in place. You would end up with four chains per tire. These chains would not damage rim paint.

The canvas strap chains could be used on a Model A. From time to time you will find these canvas strap type chains for sale a flea markets.

Seems folks don't know or can't remember that chains were sold by wheels size and when properly fitted did not damage rim paint.
JD Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 01:29 PM   #3
Aerocraft

I'll attach a few pictures of the chains that I use on my cars. I purchased them for a Model A in the mid-fifties from Western Tire. These chains fit both the 21" and 19" tires. The side chains are 72 inches long and, as you can see, have a special locking fitting on one end and a number of links on the other. The cross links are roughly 11 1/2 inches long which is the shortest length shown on the web site for chains and replacement parts. http://www.tirechainsupply.com/replacement-parts.html

It would be my guess that it will be very hard to insure that the chains will not mar the wheels. I personally only use the chains on my winter "beater". The chains do move around quite a bit and relocate themselves especially when changing direction such as backing up or "rocking" the car to get it out of deep snow.

Hope this helps............. Gar Williams
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Tire chains 001.jpg (54.5 KB, 53 views)
File Type: jpg Tire chains 002.jpg (65.2 KB, 50 views)
File Type: jpg Tire chains 004.jpg (66.5 KB, 56 views)

Last edited by Aerocraft; 02-03-2011 at 01:35 PM.
Aerocraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 02:11 PM   #4
Tom Wesenberg

Bar chains will give the best grip. They will cost more, but are the best. As Gar said, the hard surfaced roads will wear out the chains very quickly, so I'd try to use them only on gravel roads or on snow covered roads.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 02:23 PM   #5
Ted in MN

The chains I have used have a rubber "tensioner" that tends to keep the chain from creeping around the circumfrence of the tire. The "tensioner" is like a 10 inch diameter heavy "O" ring with 5 hooks that fasten it to the side chain.
Ted in MN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 03:00 PM   #6
hardtimes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerocraft View Post
I'll attach a few pictures of the chains that I use on my cars. I purchased them for a Model A in the mid-fifties from Western Tire. These chains fit both the 21" and 19" tires. The side chains are 72 inches long and, as you can see, have a special locking fitting on one end and a number of links on the other. The cross links are roughly 11 1/2 inches long which is the shortest length shown on the web site for chains and replacement parts. http://www.tirechainsupply.com/replacement-parts.html

It would be my guess that it will be very hard to insure that the chains will not mar the wheels. I personally only use the chains on my winter "beater". The chains do move around quite a bit and relocate themselves especially when changing direction such as backing up or "rocking" the car to get it out of deep snow.

Gar,
You don't show any 'spanners'..a rubber circle with metal hooks for keeping such chain taut and in place...do you have/use such?
When living/driving in snow/ice country, and when using chains..we always used spanners. I think that they are still available/sold for this purpose..no?
hardtimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 03:24 PM   #7
MrTube

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Wesenberg View Post
Bar chains will give the best grip. They will cost more, but are the best. As Gar said, the hard surfaced roads will wear out the chains very quickly, so I'd try to use them only on gravel roads or on snow covered roads.
I have a set of V-bar chains we use occasionally where my parents live in north east PA. They work very well on ice.

The set I have is for a 265\75\16 tire so they won't fit the A.

Perhaps they are available in the proper size for the A?
MrTube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 04:45 PM   #8
Special Coupe Frank

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerocraft View Post

Wow... I'm surprised that Model A chains are that wide !

Been thinking about making-up a set; have yet to find any purpose-built chains.

With the "double-hook link" at each end of the cross-chain, it wouldn't be impossible to narrow a chain for skinny tires...

I do remember putting them on the Ford 9N each winter...

Last edited by Special Coupe Frank; 02-03-2011 at 04:57 PM.
Special Coupe Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 05:06 PM   #9
Aerocraft

I have not used the "spanners". They may be available from the web site that I mentioned.

The bar chains look like a great idea but I would expect them to wear very quickly on hard surface. I measure the longevity of a set of chains in hundreds of miles, certainly not thousands.

When a cross link breaks, and it will happen, be prepared for some serious noise. I have had them break "off center" where the end of a broken link starts doing a number on the underside of the fender. That is the main reason I won't use chains on a restored car. You can easily install a "beater" set of rear wheels and not worry about the rims. Fenders are another matter. Gar Williams
Aerocraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 06:19 PM   #10
1931 flamingo

Gar: I was wondering when someone was going to mention what you just did. If you keep driving you can really screw up sheet metal.
Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 07:40 PM   #11
JD Miller

Broken cross links are a reason to carry "monkey" links. When a cross link breaks a monkey link can be installed. They can also be used if the side chain breaks. A monkey link is a link that can be installed, forced closed with a pair of pillars and you continue on your way without destroying a fender.
JD Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 07:15 PM   #12
Gene F

I thought about this again this winter when I wanted to get my A out. Ya know being couped up with the COVID-19 thing, some of us need to go for a nice little drive to keep our sanity.
Gene F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 07:20 PM   #13
Gene F

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages...tml?1451393761
Gene F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 07:46 PM   #14
McMimmcs

I have a set of strap on snow tires. I will photograph within the week.
McMimmcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 08:16 PM   #15
doa44green

I have a box of short cross links that I am sure were meant for 5" tires. If you would like I can measure them and give you a count.
Thank you!
Don
doa44green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 08:22 PM   #16
David R.

I ran a lot of tire chains over the years on work trucks. The strap on ones not so good, they will destroy themselves if you spin wheel any.
David R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 08:08 AM   #17
ronn

Why not a spare set of wheels, with the big nobby tires mounted? You just swap out and no damage to paint or metal.

I have a spare set of wheels with just studded snows for up here in Syracuse, for the wifes Altima. Runs super well. ZSwap them out every 6 months with the reg rims and tires.
ronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 08:29 AM   #18
nkaminar

Here is a picture that the person I bought my car from supplied, along with the rope in a box along with other parts and supplies. I don't drive my car when it is wet or where there is salt on the roads because of ice.

I like the idea of using show tires. In the 60's we ran 19 inch Model A snow tires on the back of Honda dirt bikes.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2021-02-23 at 8.35.09 AM.jpg (20.0 KB, 55 views)
The clutch always sticks, and starts with a jerk.
My car grows red hair, and flies through the air.
Driving's a blast, a blast from the past.

Last edited by nkaminar; 02-23-2021 at 08:38 AM.
nkaminar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 08:47 AM   #19
WHN

You guys are just writing these posts for the fun of it, RIGHT?

Tire chains, snow, ice, and salt on the roads?

Back in the day we drove what we called winter rats during the long snowy Syracuse winters. Left the good car in the garage until spring.

Are Model A’s now winter rats?
WHN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 09:38 AM   #20
Big hammer

1970 when my A was a daily driver, it had 6.50 x16 tires that when we'll in snow but not good on ice. Leaving school one day with ice on the roads, I turn a corner and around I went stuck against a curb. Well what to do other cars now waiting for me........ put it in reverse get out and push it, jump in and head for home!