Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-08-2021, 08:59 PM   #21
4537wpr

Default Re: Radiator Recommendation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Bjarnason View Post
I bought a 3-row aluminum radiator from China for $350. They painted it black for me at no extra charge. I have not yet run the car, but it looks to be a perfect fit.
Hello, I was considering buying an aluminum radiator for my driver model a and I saw your post. I was wondering what you thought of it after having it for a while? how did you attach the original cap or at least make it look right? would you get one with the neck in the original position or off to the side? how did it end up looking in the car, did you paint it black? thanks

Herve B
4537wpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 12:49 AM   #22
ahirt

I have a Bratton's heavy duty radiator. Bought about 3 years ago. Fit like a glove and almost runs too cold! Could not be happier!!
ahirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 05:11 AM   #23
shew01

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahirt View Post
I have a Bratton's heavy duty radiator. Bought about 3 years ago. Fit like a glove and almost runs too cold! Could not be happier!!

Same here. For me, it was money well spent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
shew01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 06:51 AM   #24
Bob-A

Wink Re: Radiator Recommendation

A few years ago the bottom tank on my "A's" radiator started leaking. Nobody around here could fix it. Car was not over heating just needed a flush and resolder. I ordered a $350 new radiator from Snyder's. It works and fits Okay, but the top inlet on the tank does not line up correctly with the
water neck on the head. You get what you pay for I guess.

Bob-A
Bob-A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 07:16 AM   #25
nkaminar

I just bought an original used radiator for my 1930 car from a friend. Cost was $50. He tested it for flow and leaks and overall condition. So far I am happy with it although the temperature here has been in the 30's. It was a perfect fit in all respects. Shipping across the US was about $100. My friend did a fantastic job packaging it and there was no damage due to shipping.

I should add that the repo radiator that came with the car, source unknown, did not fit and had some other issues.
The clutch always sticks, and starts with a jerk.
My car grows red hair, and flies through the air.
Driving's a blast, a blast from the past.
nkaminar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 03:13 PM   #26
Dick M

Send a message via Yahoo to Dick M

Three years ago I bought a 4 row radiator from Bert's. I have since routinely driven my A in 100+ degree weather. My A never went over 180 degrees even when climbing a 7,500 elevation summit for over 20 miles in 95 degree weather. Such a relief not to overheat!!!

Last edited by Dick M; 02-09-2021 at 04:29 PM.
Dick M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 06:50 PM   #27
Gene F

Over the years I have bought 2 of the top notch ones from Snyders, and very happy with both of them. That "little too cool" statement comes to mind with me too. It's like buying an air-conditioning unit for a streetrod. Buy one too big. If it's too cold, you can always crack the window. If it won't keep up yourscrewed. Please do yourself t a favor and buy the good one.
Gene F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2021, 12:34 PM   #28
The Brassworks

Sorry - Late to the party again. We should try to check these forums once in a while.

The 2 row core is used for the Model As because the Ford design is limited to 2 1/16" depth. Our 3 row would hit the fan due to the tube shape and layout which is designed to maximize coolant surface area and fin to tube contact.

Additionally, we may overcool a conventional Model A engine with a 3 or 4 row radiator.

All tubes shapes and tube layouts are not equal so we avoid using that terminology (1) Personally I despise being marketed to with empty words e.g. desert cooler, pictures of eskimos, the words "heavy duty" etc. and (2) selling people what they ask for is pointless if it causes a fan interference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30 Closed Cab PU View Post
If showing for fine point judging, Brassworks make theirs per Ford prints. Some have had Past issues with fit, necks being on wrong angle, and necks not being correct diameter, bracket mounting holes not lining up, (undersize for correct hoses). Read their website completely, follow all info on their site, measure carefully, etc. and give them a call. For best chances of everything being correct you may want to send your radiator to them in so they get things matched up correctly.

I prefer Bergs, drop in replacement, excellent cooling, high quality, Nice looking but not made exactly per Ford Prints. No known issues/complaints.

If your cooling system is in good shape, there are other vendors that will work. The key is to insure your Block/Head are clean of Rust/Scale/Oil-grease.

Brassworks is the only recommended 2 row tube core. Issues with all other 2 row tube cores with overheating. A good 3 or 4 row Core is recommended.
The Brassworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2021, 01:05 PM   #29
vangorde

I put in a Brassworks radiator in my 31 coupe and am very happy with its fit and function.
vangorde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2021, 01:13 PM   #30
nkaminar

Brassworks makes good radiators. I had one on my Model T and it never overheated.

For my Model A I bought a Bergs. The fit was good and the quality was good. It replaced the stock radiator that I bought for $50 mentioned in a previous post. The stock radiator boiled over at 70 mph on a 90 degree day. The Bergs radiator is not any thicker that the stock one so it does not interfere with the fan. I took it up a 5 mile long 8% grade on a 80 degree day with the pedal to the metal in high gear and the water at the goose neck was 180 degrees, even with a 160 degree thermostat (with 6 holes drilled in the flange).

Be careful when buying radiators from off brands as they may not fit. The radiator that came with the car, brand unknown, was too thick and hit the fan nut causing a leak. It also interfered with the hand crank bearing so the previous owner broke off the casting. The top tube did not match up with the goose neck.
The clutch always sticks, and starts with a jerk.
My car grows red hair, and flies through the air.
Driving's a blast, a blast from the past.
nkaminar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2021, 03:06 PM   #31
old31

Bergs for me.

It's been 3 years, and I don't care if it parades in 100-degree temps or constant highway at 60mph for long distances the car stays cool. The fit was great.
old31 is offline   Reply With Quote