Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-20-2019, 03:38 PM   #1
30 Closed Cab PU

Default Trail Tech TTO Tachometer

Friday am going to the Model A shop, will be test driving and doing initial break in on a rebuilt motor and testing other things they have done.

Will be installing an internal battery powered Trail Tech TTO Tach using Velcro. Only one lead to install. Picture attached.

I've done a quick search unsuccessfully
- how many times per motor revolution does a spark plug fire?
- How many times per motor revolution does the distributor High voltage wire fire?

Planning on trying wrapping a spark plug lead with electrical tape a few wraps, and then wrapping the Tach inductive lead around the tape. If does not work try wrapping around a spark plug ceramic insulator. If does not work try wrapping around the distributor wire.

If you or someone you know has used one of these would appreciate hearing of your experience, and any tips you may have.

Knowing how electrically noisy the A ignition is, not sure what the chance of success are.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Trail Tech TTO Tach.jpg (40.9 KB, 113 views)
30 Closed Cab PU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 07:53 PM   #2
Chris Haynes

Default Re: Trail Tech TTO Tachometer

A single spark plug fires once per two engine revolutions. Intake, compression, power, exhaust takes two revolutions.

- How many times per motor revolution does the distributor High voltage wire fire?

The high voltage wire will fire 4 times during two engine revolutions.
Speed costs money. How fast do you want to go?
Chris Haynes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 10:50 AM   #3
katy

Quote:
2 times per revolution
Old 05-23-2020, 09:32 AM   #4
Joe/Ct

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30 Closed Cab PU View Post
Friday am going to the Model A shop, will be test driving and doing initial break in on a rebuilt motor and testing other things they have done.

Will be installing an internal battery powered Trail Tech TTO Tach using Velcro. Only one lead to install. Picture attached.

Planning on trying wrapping a spark plug lead with electrical tape a few wraps, and then wrapping the Tach inductive lead around the tape. If does not work try wrapping around a spark plug ceramic insulator. If does not work try wrapping around the distributor wire.

If you or someone you know has used one of these would appreciate hearing of your experience, and any tips you may have.

Knowing how electrically noisy the A ignition is, not sure what the chance of success are.

I am also looking to add a tach to our '28 roadster. How did this unit work out for you?

"The older I get, the better I was"
Joe/Ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 09:55 AM   #5
JtownJoe

I have had a Westach Tach on my 30 Tudor for about 8 years and love it. Easy install and comes with a Steering column mount that is easy to read between the steering wheel spokes, can be used on 6 or 12 volts with only the light bulb needing to be ordered as the selected voltage for brightness. Their website will provide all needed info.
JtownJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 10:48 AM   #6
30 Closed Cab PU

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe/Ct View Post
I am also looking to add a tach to our '28 roadster. How did this unit work out for you?

Worked out good, do not know how accurate it is since I did not check it. There is a slight up date time, so RPMs are not displayed instantaneously (every second or two) . I was interested in a cheapo for seeing where my personal shift points are, and for setting up the carb idle.Had to program differently than I though so it would display correctly (do not remember the details). Had to use less wraps around the spark plug wire than instructed (think too much electrical noise messed up the readings. I got the cheapo - non replaceable battery, no back light. Hard to see with polarized sunglasses. I mounted mine with Velcro, so can take it off - have to order the right model that has a flat back), Velcro used so no need to drill holes. Nice thing about this one is you can order it with longer leads, extra length was need the way I routed the wires. Most LCD tachs are supplied with very short wring and usually warn you not to splice on longer wiring - reasons not given in their documentation. Can not be turned off to conserve battery, but is still working. I could move it onto the dash plate so it is illuminated by dash light for night driving.
Old 05-23-2020, 10:52 AM   #7
30 Closed Cab PU

Alos - I wrapped the lead around the coil/distributor wire.
Old 05-24-2020, 07:57 AM   #8
old31

Quote:
Originally Posted by JtownJoe View Post
I have had a Westach Tach on my 30 Tudor for about 8 years and love it. Easy install and comes with a Steering column mount that is easy to read between the steering wheel spokes, can be used on 6 or 12 volts with only the light bulb needing to be ordered as the selected voltage for brightness. Their website will provide all needed info.
x2..
old31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 09:29 AM   #9
Nosetime

I have a new Westach for sale in the swapmeet forum.
Nosetime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 08:44 PM   #10
CarlG

I have an AutoMeter Tachometer (12 volt) in my pickup. Works / looks great.
Model A Restorers Club
Antique Automobile Club of America
Mullins Owner's Club
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote