Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-03-2019, 08:28 AM   #1
Joe K

Default The Ford Century

I had the pleasure of having my Ford Ranger Airbag Module being replaced in a recall yesterday. One hour scheduled to do the work and the truck is back in service with no hitches.

While waiting the hour, I chanced upon the book "The Ford Century" which was on the coffee table in the waiting room.

The structure of the book was basically: here is a historical development - here is where Ford stands now similarly.

A lot on the Model T including pictures, development, continuous change, the assembly line, and associates of Ford who helped in development.

Not so much on the Model A, although Edsel Ford was named on this and many other progressive aspects of Ford Engineering.

Interesting to pass by the pages describing the 1937 "Battle of the Overpass" (including before and after pictures) and the next page "Ford Today with respect to the Unions" - and my reflecting on the GM Walkout currently underway.

A coffee table book which I reluctantly put down when the one hour recall turned out to be 48 minutes.

Yunno, thinking of that book, Ford is not America, but America is Ford - which I'm kind of proud of overall...

As opposed to GM who may be the heartbeat - but not the soul.

Joe K
Old 10-03-2019, 09:16 AM   #2
rotorwrench

Default Re: The Ford Century

What is amazing to me is that the Ford family is still counted among the ownership. It may only hold 2% of all the millions of shares but they still hold 40% of the voting rights. They certainly still care about the family business.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 05:03 AM   #3
updraught

Some people here are doing work for "The Henry Ford" on computer vision research.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=94Q9UbgkOKI
updraught is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 05:17 AM   #4
Synchro909

Quote:
Originally Posted by updraught View Post
Some people here are doing work for "The Henry Ford" on computer vision research.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=94Q9UbgkOKI
We have a blind member in our club who wears something VERY similar only instead of that cumbersome gizmo on their ears, his is about 1/4" square and 1" mounted on th earm of his specs. An amazing piece of equipment!
When we have eaten out with him, I am amazed at how he can "read" the menu. On one occassion, he ordered a snitzel which, when it arrived was not shaped like the usual snitzel. It was shaped more like a piece of fish. His gizmo told him it was fish so he said to his wife that they had brought him the wrong meal. She explained and all was well. The computing power in that tiny thing on his specs frame is incredible. Leaves me wondering how soon and by how much will we be superceded and when.
Old 10-04-2019, 05:47 AM   #5
updraught

I gather they only do the implants in Melbourne. So you might be up with the latest.
updraught is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 07:38 AM   #6
Joe K

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synchro909 View Post
We have a blind member in our club who wears something VERY similar only instead of that cumbersome gizmo on their ears, his is about 1/4" square and 1" mounted on th earm of his specs. An amazing piece of equipment!
When we have eaten out with him, I am amazed at how he can "read" the menu. On one occassion, he ordered a snitzel which, when it arrived was not shaped like the usual snitzel. It was shaped more like a piece of fish. His gizmo told him it was fish so he said to his wife that they had brought him the wrong meal. She explained and all was well. The computing power in that tiny thing on his specs frame is incredible. Leaves me wondering how soon and by how much will we be superceded and when.

Google Vision? I was on an airplane where someone in front of me had one of those devices on his glasses. He was sighted, I believe, but what little conversation I could hear indicated it was the eyeglass equivalent of a "smart phone."

Of course like any other "device," they can be programmed to do many things.

Joe K