Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-01-2018, 03:14 PM   #41
Fast31

Default Re: Millennials decided on an "A"

I bought an “older restauration”. I am a trained engineer and have a fully equipped workshop with welders, lathe etc. and I need it! I have spend a year of my free time and my A is still not running. I like inspecting and repairing all the worn parts. But if you do not have the experience and drive to do so, buy a fully restored Model A. It’s cheaper in the end and you’re on the road instantly. Join a club and take an experienced member with you when you check out a potential car. Good luck, happy hunting!
Fast31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 09:21 AM   #42
ryanheacox

Just to chime in as another millennial (I'll be 24 at the end of the month), I agree with everyone else that says to keep it stock. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised with just how well an A performs in its stock form.

I got lucky and spent a majority of my formative years with my grandfather (my Fordor was his) who taught me old tips and tricks that you just can't learn from any book. He also always said, "Fix it when it breaks don't fix it till it breaks".

I'm sure you'll be happy with whatever model you decide on and welcome to the hobby!
ryanheacox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 09:06 PM   #43
fordf1trucknut

I am about an hour away from Pittsburgh..(and store my A even closer)If you want to take a ride in an A shoot me a message when the weather gets a bit nicer. 37 here with a wife and 2 kids, our coupe with rumble seat fits us fine but not much room to take much more than ourselves.
30 coupe (traditional hotrod)
31 pickup
38 standard
42 gpw (ford army jeep)
48 f-1
52 f-1
52 f-1 4x4
55 chevy
55 m38a1
56 Victoria
68 bronco
70 land rover
72 club wagon
fordf1trucknut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 10:04 PM   #44
TerryH

I happen to agree that the Town Sedan is a great choice....very comfortable and roomy. If you buy a very nicely restored one, like I did about 12 years ago, you can also buy an earlier one, where the wood structure will not be an issue....you don’t have to buy a 1931. I also have 6 younger granddaughters, who get lots of rides in the A, and I have never had an issue or concern with the rear doors opening...again, a nicely restored car will avoid many of these issues. If you intend to drive it frequently, and on anything but rural roads, I would sure recommend buying one with an overdrive. Mitchell makes an outstanding unit, and many Town Sedans will have one. But be very careful, and ask to see pictures and a list of what was in the restoration. Even better, find someone in your local club to look at the cars with you.....their experience with Model A’s will be well worth it!
TerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 08:08 AM   #45
1930artdeco

I have a 30 Townsedan (love her), and I don't have a Mitchell OD-YET! For now, this is what I have done to help keep up with modern traffic. Snyder's High Compression head, 'B' cam and a Marvel carb. With this configuration, I can drive 55 all day long on the freeway and she seems comfortable at that speed. Although I generally cruise at 50-52. So yes an OD is preferred for this body style as she is heavy for the little engine we have. But it is not required. It WILL, be easier on the bearings in the long run and just easier on the engine.

Mike
Old 04-03-2018, 03:20 PM   #46
2935ford

I have not read all the posts here but........
as simple as the Model A appears to be there are lots of things you will need to know and get to know soon enough.

Have a good look around....do your research just like you would with any car.

Model A's in stock form are unique and can give lots of (s)miles.
Keep in mind many of todays drivers have no patients for these cars and get antsy being behind one.

My suggestion......after deciding what year/model, buy a good, properly restored A. It puts you on the road right away.
If you decide to buy one to work on or restore keep in mind it can get expensive and some of the new repop parts aren't near as good as originals.

Good luck with your decision.
2935ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 12:24 AM   #47
Karl

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeroyM View Post
30-31 coupe or roadster since they have more leg room then the 28's & 29's. Convert it over to 12 volt and change the brakes to hydraulics. Change the drive train over to something modern so you have fewer problems and can keep up with highway traffic at speed.

I would avoid hauling any kids in an older car like a Model A because of the people on the roads theses days and the lack of safety features.
Jeez Leroy they might as well just buy a modern car.
I've done 10's of thousands of miles in various Model A's
Mine are/were all stock and cruise at 55 + mph all day plenty fast enough for me to be on national highways.

I see no advantage in hydraulic brakes over properly set up mechanical brakes . All mine have mechanical brakes and I can lock the wheels up at any speed I'm travelling at . Once the wheels are locked up and skidding on those narrow tires hydraulics aren't going to stop you any faster ! The issue is that most peoples brakes aren't set up properly or have been set up with worn or inferior repo parts -Hydraulics are better than those brakes but what wouldn't be.

All my cars are 6v and it works fine - 12v has the advantage that replacing bulbs on tour is easier as you can find them at any parts outlet -I carry spare 6V bulbs

I share your concerns re safety , I guess you are safer than a motorbike but again what isn't . I do worry when I have my family in the car and sometimes will make them travel to our rally destination in a modern and I will take the A on my own particularly if it is a long way to travel on a busy road . Otherwise I just drive very defensively and pray a little

Karl
Karl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 08:08 AM   #48
denis4x4

As Karl said, "I just drive very defensively and pray a little"

There are places where I will no longer drive my A's due to the traffic. It doesn't matter if your car has 12v or 6v, the bimbo on her cell phone doesn't know the difference. On the other hand, there are plenty of places in rural southwest Colorado where I can enjoy a drive without any stress.
Old 04-04-2018, 09:17 AM   #49
Barry B./ Ma.

If you are going to buy it to drive I would recommend you stay off the interstates, they just aren't designed to travel at 80 mph in stock form. I travel arond 50 mph max always thinking of the near 100 year old wheels rotating under me. There are other considerations also like seatbelts, steering and suspension that don't compare to modern vehicles. Those half asleep drivers behind you can come up too fast. Good luck and be careful.
Barry B./ Ma. is offline   Reply With Quote