Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-30-2017, 08:33 AM   #1
Joe K

Default Epping Classic Car Swap 4-30-17

Got to the flea market (what it is really) and found it much improved over two years ago when I went.

Instead of a bunch of guys with stuff on a single N-S row, there was about 10 E-W rows with most of the available spaces taken. Only a couple of empty spots in the last (northernmost) row - and even those had been equaled in sellers "doubling up" to avoid an obvious wet spot in the flats adjacent to the drainage ditch.

I would say seller wise, the show had sold out.

Buyer wise similarly. Parking is routed off of Route 101 across Route 27 (Exeter Road) into a parking lot adjacent to Route 27 and south of the Vendors, but that parking lot was FULL. People touring up and down the rows waiting for someone to leave.

A small road parallels the drag way (more or less) on the west and people were parking along this road and walking in. In fact, if one follows this road he can park "beyond" the vendor section and walk in from the north direction.

So parking was congested, but more because the sponsors had not thought to provide any signs or direction (or parking attendants) and had simply left the visiting crowd to make their way in as best they can. This may be how it is done on "race days?"

As to the goods for sale, about 75 percent of the vendors were "motorheads" mostly of the lead-sled variety. Not too much available post 1966 and not a lot before 1948.

The usual commercial vendor trailers were there. Tam was in present (as promised) and he is looking his usual self (one thinks of Arlo Guthrie when you meet Tam.) And doing a good business.

The crowd was at best "mixed." Some motorheads, a lot of ZZ Top beards seen, and a couple of skinheads. And yet another vendor, wearing Edwardian (Harry Potter) glasses selling Model T sheet metal. Some had brought stuff from their barn to "clean out." Others bought & sold high powered blueprinted motors. And others couldn't resist throwing in some household "junque" just to capitalize on an opportunity.

I even saw "Honest John" Bradley there in front of Tam's Trailer. I have not seen John for at least 5 years and then over at Amherst where he could be found selling in his usual spot. John is now "retired" from Model A Ford restoration, but from what I overheard (I didn't get to talk to him) he continues to "dabble." True to form for John. John's appearance at the swap is a good omen.

So in a way I think this one has a good chance to be a successor to Amherst?

Be advised though that if you're critical of "rodding" Model As then you best stay away from Epping Swap. The swap meet has ancestry from the hot car crowd and the hot crowd isn't about to give ground (or sales space - or parking space) to preservation interest.

Still, if you're of open mind - and open wallet, you may find something you NEED at Epping. Buyer Admission is FREE, of course.

I passed with regret on a $10 Model A Wishbone as what would I do with a FOURTH complete Model A front axle. The loose I-Beam I have no need for will just have to wait.

Joe K

Last edited by Joe K; 04-30-2017 at 08:41 AM.
Joe K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 09:28 AM   #2
old31

Default Re: Epping Classic Car Swap 4-30-17

Joe it sounds like they have done a good job taking over Amherst.

Was it also a car show or cruise. or just parts. Did they have drag racing going on?
old31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 09:39 AM   #3
Joe K

Show is what you bring - there is more or less "special parking" set aside for these.

Which is separated from the rest of the "out back" parking I mentioned only by an orange cone. (And no sign other than "Classic Cars ->")

Since parking is free there is no "gimme" like Amherst who used to waive the $5 parking fee on cars built before 1955.

The rest is swap/parts.

No racing.

Joe K
Old 04-30-2017, 10:45 AM   #4
Keith True

At 6:30 this morning the place was packed.The dragway and town have some agreement about the time they can open the gates,but,it has always been a gray area about that when it comes to events not actually run by the dragway.The dragway is actually in Epping,but the parking lot is in Brentwood.Town line runs right through the property.Just NEVER park along RT 27.You will be towed.I know,I've towed dozens away years ago.I use to be the closest neighbor to the dragway,the place is gone now.My friend is now the closest,he has a nice Model A coupe he is going to sell.I think it's too late for today,but it is a good place to sell it.I was just there in the A,I didn't even attempt to get near the place.The road alongside the parking lot belongs to Waste Management,it goes to their facility out back.I have no idea what they feel about parking on their road.
Keith True is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 11:53 AM   #5
Joe K

Quote:
The road alongside the parking lot belongs to Waste Management,it goes to their facility out back.I have no idea what they feel about parking on their road.
I saw the "Trucks this way" sign obviously aimed at some sort of business. Everyone who bypassed the "up front" lot were parking on both sides of this road - including me.

But having parked, I saw others go in the Dragway "back door" and parking in the field beyond. The Classic Cars-> sign I mentioned was to keep the classics closer to the vending area.

One imagines Waste Management probably doesn't care on a Sunday. And probably don't on a Saturday night during Drag Season.

Joe K
Old 04-30-2017, 07:23 PM   #6
monto

There was drag racing activity going on. You could hear it and see plenty of burning rubber, with announcements via audio speakers. American Legion Post 35 (Hampton, NH) provided food service.
Having experienced the atmosphere today with many familiar faces, the vendors, etc.,etc., I suggest that the Dragway is on it's way, if not already, to becoming solid successor to Amherst. Well done, in my opinion.
Old 04-30-2017, 07:38 PM   #7
Joe K

In the pm I heard the drag racing from my house in Stratham.

I don't know their schedule - in my mind I had it that the drags are normally done on Saturday afternoon and evening. But apparently this not so.

And then late this afternoon it started to rain. One imagines that ends the drag racing. Which is all about coefficient of friction.

Joe K