Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-07-2020, 10:47 AM   #1
d.j. moordigian
Senior Member
 
d.j. moordigian's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Fresno, Ca.
Posts: 3,613
Default drive shaft re-spline

Who is the fellow in Paso Robles that re-splines drive shafts? He also does
the torque tubes.
Were doing a Quick Change and need a shorter shaft to fit..

Thank you,
djm
d.j. moordigian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2020, 12:10 PM   #2
19Fordy
Senior Member
 
19Fordy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Coral Springs FL
Posts: 8,296
Default Re: drive shaft re-spline

Is it not possible with todays welding methods to actually cut and reweld a solid drive shaft to a desired length? A sleeve could also be welded over the "joint" to give it more strength.

I would think that would be less expensive than cutting new splines and heat treating.

Here's an interesting Fordbarn thread about this.
https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showt...3261&showall=1

Last edited by 19Fordy; 10-07-2020 at 12:18 PM.
19Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 10-07-2020, 01:42 PM   #3
Karl Wolf
Senior Member
 
Karl Wolf's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Mill Valley,Ca.
Posts: 1,404
Default Re: drive shaft re-spline

Mitchell Overdrive did one for me a bunch of years ago, some waiting for the machining set up to come around to the configuration for my job. Reasonable cost, probably different now so I won't quote.

Karl
Karl Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2020, 01:54 PM   #4
d.j. moordigian
Senior Member
 
d.j. moordigian's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Fresno, Ca.
Posts: 3,613
Default Re: drive shaft re-spline

Well yes,...that could be done,...BUT that's not what we want to do. IF you weld it your
committed. We'er doing 3 quickchange rears,..(1) "101" and (2) "201",..and I'm sure
that the customers will have a good / serviceable unit that won't fail on the road.

Yes I read that also..

We have found the fellow,..thank you for the help..
d.j. moordigian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2020, 01:58 PM   #5
d.j. moordigian
Senior Member
 
d.j. moordigian's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Fresno, Ca.
Posts: 3,613
Default Re: drive shaft re-spline

Good to know Karl,...hadn't thought of them !
Thank you..
d.j. moordigian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2020, 04:55 PM   #6
Bored&Stroked
Senior Member
 
Bored&Stroked's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Central Ohio
Posts: 2,839
Default Re: drive shaft re-spline

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Quote:
Originally Posted by d.j. moordigian View Post
Well yes,...that could be done,...BUT that's not what we want to do. IF you weld it your
committed. We'er doing 3 quickchange rears,..(1) "101" and (2) "201",..and I'm sure
that the customers will have a good / serviceable unit that won't fail on the road.

Yes I read that also..

We have found the fellow,..thank you for the help..
Would greatly appreciate you posting some more information as to whom is doing the work and the approximate cost. This might help some of us with our own goofy projects.
Bored&Stroked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2020, 06:11 PM   #7
F1 MIKE
Member
 
F1 MIKE's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: PETALUMA CALI
Posts: 64
Default Re: drive shaft re-spline

Try Moser Engineering Axles a friend just had one done .
F1 MIKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020, 12:54 PM   #8
d.j. moordigian
Senior Member
 
d.j. moordigian's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Fresno, Ca.
Posts: 3,613
Default Re: drive shaft re-spline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bored&Stroked View Post
Would greatly appreciate you posting some more information as to whom is doing the work and the approximate cost. This might help some of us with our own goofy projects.
I think you'd be better of with Midget crew chief that's local,..a "short track"
racer. Those guy have done it for years,..and you could be in on the job.
Most Midget's have Model A's...but some have V8's...

Try this for some great info...tutorial..

www.ocmafc.org Orange County Model A Ford Club (Tom Endy's Technical Articles) (California)

Last edited by d.j. moordigian; 10-08-2020 at 02:45 PM.
d.j. moordigian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020, 02:28 PM   #9
Pete
Senior Member
 
Pete's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Wa.
Posts: 3,902
Default Re: drive shaft re-spline

Quote:
Originally Posted by d.j. moordigian View Post
I think you'd be better of with Midget crew chief that's local,..a "short track"
racer. Those guy have done it for years,..and you could be in on the job.
Most Midget's have Model A's...but some have V8's...
All true but the last sentence.
Midgets haven't had model A or V8 engines or rear ends since the Roman Empire was at it's peak.
Now, except for vintage racing they use inline aluminum 4 bangers made by Fontanna, Esslinger, Gearte and others. These things make 500 hp.
The rear ends are open axle quick change with one inboard brake.
The drive shaft is splined on both ends.
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020, 02:43 PM   #10
d.j. moordigian
Senior Member
 
d.j. moordigian's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Fresno, Ca.
Posts: 3,613
Default Re: drive shaft re-spline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete View Post
All true but the last sentence.
Midgets haven't had model A or V8 engines since the Roman Empire was at it's peak.
Now, except for vintage racing they use inline aluminum 4 bangers made by Fontanna, Esslinger, Gearte and others. These things make 500 hp.
The rear ends are open axle quick change with one inboard brake.
The drive shaft is splined on both ends.
Pete,

Were talking OLD quick change rears for 1928 - 1948 Fords.
Yes I know about those engines and the rear ends. I built the second or third Arias engine for a Midget back in the early 80's with the old head..and I still
remember the old AND new stuff...!

Last edited by d.j. moordigian; 10-08-2020 at 04:16 PM.
d.j. moordigian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 01:09 AM   #11
frnkeore
Senior Member
 
frnkeore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: Southern Oregon
Posts: 529
Default Re: drive shaft re-spline

I'm sorry to add to the off topic but, I gotta know. Which of these engines make 500 hp?

1. Pushrod Type Engines

a. Four cylinder in-line, two valves per cylinder, water cooled, with intake and exhaust ports on the same side of the head using an aluminum block and approved non-cross flow aluminum “Fontana” cylinder head.

Maximum of 174 CID (2934)

Maximum RPM N/A

b. Fontana (Rhino) sealed spec engine.

Maximum of 200 CID (3278cc)

Maximum RPM (factory set and sealed) 7800

Must Run MSD Ignition #6214

c. Four cylinder in-line, two valves per cylinder, water cooled utilizing an aluminum block and/or approved cylinder head.

Gaerte Block - Maximum of 177 CID (2900)

Mopar Block- Maximum of 171 CID (2803)

Toyota Engine- Maximum of 166 CID (2721)

Maximum RPM 8700

d. All other push rod engines, using billet blocks, Non-Gearte or Non-Mopar blocks,

Maximum of 166 CID (2721)

Maximum RPM 8700

2. Single Overhead Camshaft Type Engines

a. Four cylinder in-line, aluminum block and head, 2 valves per cylinder.

Esslinger TST, ST, XT & RSI Only

Maximum of 166 CID (2721cc)

Maximum RPM 10300

Esslinger BB7 Maximum 161 CID (2639)

Mopar SR11 / SR11X

Maximum of 161 CID (2639cc)

Maximum RPM 10000

3. Double Overhead Camshaft Type Engines

a. Honda K-Series four cylinder in-line, water cooled, four valves per cylinder, must use Honda OEM cylinder block and cylinder head.

Maximum of 154.6 CID (2533.5cc)

Maximum RPM 9400 (probationary) Maximum Stroke 99mm (3.98”)

b. The stock production “Cosworth Vega” four cylinders, in-line, four valves per cylinder, utilizing the stock production block and head. Alteration of the basic design of the head or block is prohibited.

Maximum 127 CID (2082 cc).

c. Ecotec four cylinders, in-line, four valves per cylinder.

Maximum 146 CID (2400cc).

4. Complete engines and/or major components must be available in a reasonably sufficient supply to all competitors at comparative prices.

5. All engines must be normally aspirated, internal combustion, four cycle, reciprocating piston type, incorporating a maximum of six cylinders. Only one spark plug per cylinder will be allowed. Camshaft timing must be fixed. Any device used to alter camshaft timing during engine operation is prohibited. Sever penalties will be issued to the entrant and engine builder if such devices are found.
__________________
Frank
'35 Ford Model 51
'48 Ford F3
frnkeore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 01:28 AM   #12
Pete
Senior Member
 
Pete's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Wa.
Posts: 3,902
Default Re: drive shaft re-spline

Quote:
Originally Posted by frnkeore View Post
I'm sorry to add to the off topic but, I gotta know. Which of these engines make 500 hp?

1. Pushrod Type Engines

a. Four cylinder in-line, two valves per cylinder, water cooled, with intake and exhaust ports on the same side of the head using an aluminum block and approved non-cross flow aluminum “Fontana” cylinder head.

Maximum of 174 CID (2934)

Maximum RPM N/A

b. Fontana (Rhino) sealed spec engine.

Maximum of 200 CID (3278cc)

Maximum RPM (factory set and sealed) 7800

Must Run MSD Ignition #6214

c. Four cylinder in-line, two valves per cylinder, water cooled utilizing an aluminum block and/or approved cylinder head.

Gaerte Block - Maximum of 177 CID (2900)

Mopar Block- Maximum of 171 CID (2803)

Toyota Engine- Maximum of 166 CID (2721)

Maximum RPM 8700

d. All other push rod engines, using billet blocks, Non-Gearte or Non-Mopar blocks,

Maximum of 166 CID (2721)

Maximum RPM 8700

2. Single Overhead Camshaft Type Engines

a. Four cylinder in-line, aluminum block and head, 2 valves per cylinder.

Esslinger TST, ST, XT & RSI Only

Maximum of 166 CID (2721cc)

Maximum RPM 10300

Esslinger BB7 Maximum 161 CID (2639)

Mopar SR11 / SR11X

Maximum of 161 CID (2639cc)

Maximum RPM 10000

3. Double Overhead Camshaft Type Engines

a. Honda K-Series four cylinder in-line, water cooled, four valves per cylinder, must use Honda OEM cylinder block and cylinder head.

Maximum of 154.6 CID (2533.5cc)

Maximum RPM 9400 (probationary) Maximum Stroke 99mm (3.98”)

b. The stock production “Cosworth Vega” four cylinders, in-line, four valves per cylinder, utilizing the stock production block and head. Alteration of the basic design of the head or block is prohibited.

Maximum 127 CID (2082 cc).

c. Ecotec four cylinders, in-line, four valves per cylinder.

Maximum 146 CID (2400cc).

4. Complete engines and/or major components must be available in a reasonably sufficient supply to all competitors at comparative prices.

5. All engines must be normally aspirated, internal combustion, four cycle, reciprocating piston type, incorporating a maximum of six cylinders. Only one spark plug per cylinder will be allowed. Camshaft timing must be fixed. Any device used to alter camshaft timing during engine operation is prohibited. Sever penalties will be issued to the entrant and engine builder if such devices are found.
I have the same rule book you do Frank.
3 years ago all of the announcers on TV kept saying those engines were making
450 hp. They must be up to 500 by now. Same way the top fuel dragsters keep going up every year. They are up to 10000 now. I am waiting for the 410 World of Outlaws to reach 1000. They only seem to go up about 25 to 50 a year.....
I need to put my weed trimmer on that TV dyno. Maybe I could get it to cut through a fence post....
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 06:22 AM   #13
john in illinois
Senior Member
 
john in illinois's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Illinois
Posts: 1,942
Default Re: drive shaft re-spline

Hot Rod Works also resplines driveshafts and shortens torque tubes.

John
__________________
Welcome each day
john in illinois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 07:38 PM   #14
Bored&Stroked
Senior Member
 
Bored&Stroked's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Central Ohio
Posts: 2,839
Default Re: drive shaft re-spline

Quote:
Originally Posted by frnkeore View Post
I'm sorry to add to the off topic but, I gotta know. Which of these engines make 500 hp?

1. Pushrod Type Engines

a. Four cylinder in-line, two valves per cylinder, water cooled, with intake and exhaust ports on the same side of the head using an aluminum block and approved non-cross flow aluminum “Fontana” cylinder head.

Maximum of 174 CID (2934)

Maximum RPM N/A

b. Fontana (Rhino) sealed spec engine.

Maximum of 200 CID (3278cc)

Maximum RPM (factory set and sealed) 7800

Must Run MSD Ignition #6214

c. Four cylinder in-line, two valves per cylinder, water cooled utilizing an aluminum block and/or approved cylinder head.

Gaerte Block - Maximum of 177 CID (2900)

Mopar Block- Maximum of 171 CID (2803)

Toyota Engine- Maximum of 166 CID (2721)

Maximum RPM 8700

d. All other push rod engines, using billet blocks, Non-Gearte or Non-Mopar blocks,

Maximum of 166 CID (2721)

Maximum RPM 8700

2. Single Overhead Camshaft Type Engines

a. Four cylinder in-line, aluminum block and head, 2 valves per cylinder.

Esslinger TST, ST, XT & RSI Only

Maximum of 166 CID (2721cc)

Maximum RPM 10300

Esslinger BB7 Maximum 161 CID (2639)

Mopar SR11 / SR11X

Maximum of 161 CID (2639cc)

Maximum RPM 10000

3. Double Overhead Camshaft Type Engines

a. Honda K-Series four cylinder in-line, water cooled, four valves per cylinder, must use Honda OEM cylinder block and cylinder head.

Maximum of 154.6 CID (2533.5cc)

Maximum RPM 9400 (probationary) Maximum Stroke 99mm (3.98”)

b. The stock production “Cosworth Vega” four cylinders, in-line, four valves per cylinder, utilizing the stock production block and head. Alteration of the basic design of the head or block is prohibited.

Maximum 127 CID (2082 cc).

c. Ecotec four cylinders, in-line, four valves per cylinder.

Maximum 146 CID (2400cc).

4. Complete engines and/or major components must be available in a reasonably sufficient supply to all competitors at comparative prices.

5. All engines must be normally aspirated, internal combustion, four cycle, reciprocating piston type, incorporating a maximum of six cylinders. Only one spark plug per cylinder will be allowed. Camshaft timing must be fixed. Any device used to alter camshaft timing during engine operation is prohibited. Sever penalties will be issued to the entrant and engine builder if such devices are found.
Easy answer . . . ALL of them in the right hands, and more than 500 HP for many of them.
Bored&Stroked is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:09 AM.