Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-15-2016, 01:35 PM   #1
dusahayabusa

Default Electric Fuel Pump Issues?

So i have a 1949 mercury(stock), recently had an electric fuel pump put on due to the mechanical fuel pump cam worn down. The car ran fine for a few weeks, now the car is struggling to run. I replaced both fuel filters because they were dirty, but still no dice. Im not sure if something is going on with the electric fuel pump, does anyone have any ideas as to what might be causing the issue?
dusahayabusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 01:52 PM   #2
Lawson Cox

Default Re: Electric Fuel Pump Issues?

What is the fuel pressure on the electric pump? Could be too high or too low.

It is better to be seen, than viewed.

"We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm".
Lawson Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 02:05 PM   #3
19Fordy

Loose rust or debris in the gas tank blocking the outlet opening. Plus make sure your tank is not close to empty. Check all hoses to make sure they are not cracked or sucking air where clamped to filters and pump.
Disconnect fuel line at carb and see if fuel is being pumped out by pump. Be sure to catch the fuel in a can. If pump is pumping then it's a carburetor problem.
You may have to rebuild the carburetor. Also, I don't know if Mercs have that little flexible cloth covered fuel hose on the firewall that connects the fuel line from the tank to the fuel line on the carb, but if it does have one, check it for cracks and clogging. That line does wear out and dissolve with today's gas.
19Fordy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 02:13 PM   #4
dusahayabusa

I'm not sure what the pressure is, i need to check that tonight. The carb was rebuilt when the new electric fuel pump was added.
Old 12-15-2016, 02:16 PM   #5
Joe Immler

X2 on 19Fordy. Check everything for Ethanol damage.
Joe Immler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 02:23 PM   #6
dusahayabusa

So the pump was installed underneath the drivers side door, i can here it on when i turn the ignition on but i will definitely check it tonight to see if gas is pumped out at the carb.
Old 12-15-2016, 02:37 PM   #7
papanomad

possible vacuum leak. since carb was rebuilt, nuts may have loosened.
papanomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 02:45 PM   #8
dusahayabusa

Not sure if this information will help, my brother took the airbath cleaner off, was able to get the car started with his hand over the carb air intake. The engine continued to run so not sure if that will help diagnose the issue.
Old 12-16-2016, 12:19 PM   #9
blucar

Quote:
Originally Posted by dusahayabusa View Post
So the pump was installed underneath the drivers side door, i can here it on when i turn the ignition on but i will definitely check it tonight to see if gas is pumped out at the carb.
As a general rule electric fuel pumps should be installed as close to the tank as possible, they pump fuel better than they can pull fuel.
Not all fuel pumps are of equal quality, Carter makes a very good one. You should also make sure that the electric pump is compatible with ethanol based fuels..
The suggestion to check all of the fuel lines for quality is a good one. The ethanol based fuels that we are forced to use now is very hard on fuel lines and carbs. One thing that many people overlook in this day and age is the fuel cap. It must be a vented cap. If the cap is unvented a vacuum will be created in the tank which will prevent the fuel pump from being able to draw/pump the fuel out of the tank.
Old 12-16-2016, 11:46 PM   #10
Drbrown

Both my mechanical pump and my Airtex electric pump individually put out a steady flow at 3 psi. I use the Airtex for pre-start only but could use it in an emergency if the mechanical pump misbehaves.
Drbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2016, 12:30 PM   #11
dusahayabusa

So I hooked up the fuel pressure gauge, the car is on but the motor isn't running but the gauge is showing around 1 psi. Would it show diffently if the car is running?? I also disconnected the fuel line from the carb, turn the ignition on and fuel was coming out of the line. I'm not sure if the fuel pump is making enough pressure or if it's my carburetor.
Old 12-18-2016, 01:38 PM   #12
Marvin/TN

Send a message via AIM to Marvin/TN

Maybe move the pump closer to the tank, they push better than they pull. Oops, I didn't read Blucar's post before I made mine
Marvin/TN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2016, 01:55 PM   #13
V8COOPMAN

Quote:
So I hooked up the fuel pressure gauge, the car is on but the motor isn't running but the gauge is showing around 1 psi. Would it show diffently if the car is running?? I also disconnected the fuel line from the carb, turn the ignition on and fuel was coming out of the line. I'm not sure if the fuel pump is making enough pressure or if it's my carburetor.
You originally stated that the engine is "struggling to run". In this recent post, you note that without the engine running (which means the carburetor should be full of fuel, which also means that the needle and seat should be closed) that the fuel pressure is only 1 psi. It makes sense to me that with the needle and seat closed, the pump should be showing it's HIGHEST pressure reading. It sounds like this pump, for whatever reason (worn-out, broken, too far from tank, or sucking air), has a serious problem.

I would suggest re-plumbing the pump NEAR the supply tank, with good, tight fuel line (no sucking air) between tank and pump. If you still show a 1 psi (or very low) reading after that, the pump is likely FUBAR internally. DD

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2016, 02:59 PM   #14
papanomad

Quote:
1 psi is too low. from other threads on this forum 2 to 3 psi to carb. I set to 2 1/2 psi and works fine. car running would not affect electric pump.
papanomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 03:14 PM   #15
dusahayabusa

any suggestions on the electric fuel pump i should use, it will be flowing through the mechanical fuel pump so not sure which on to use to make sure pressure is correct?
Old 12-19-2016, 04:35 PM   #16
19Fordy

A lot of folks use this one.
http://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showth...tric+fuel+pump
If you put in a new pump you might want to install a shut off valve between the tank and the pump to make it easier to change fuel pump and filter when needed. I used a radiator pet cock (1st photo).
There is also a fuel filter under the car between the pet cock and the electric fuel pump (3rd photo). This fuel filter is attached directly to the fuel pump. AND, there is another filter in the fuel line just before the gas enters the carburetor (2nd photo). After all, fuel filters are your friend. The metal heat and stone shield around the fuel filter under the car has been removed for the photo.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5836 (Small).jpg (54.8 KB, 38 views)
File Type: jpg DSC07297 (Small).JPG (50.0 KB, 39 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5838 (Small).jpg (38.7 KB, 36 views)

Last edited by 19Fordy; 12-22-2016 at 12:16 PM.
19Fordy is online now   Reply With Quote