Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-12-2020, 04:35 PM   #1
TFB

Default Electronic Voltage Regulator

I recently installed a 12v generator and I'm in the process of converting everything to 12v neg gr.
I don't want a voltage regulator on my '35 firewall, and currently I have a 6v one mounted inside on the wall.
I always liked the look of the original cutout, and might consider this electronic one that's available.
Does anyone know how well they work and if they're dependable long-term?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg electronic voltage reg 12v neg gr.jpg (69.8 KB, 49 views)
TFB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 05:02 PM   #2
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Default Re: Electronic Voltage Regulator

If it is the FunProjects I think they have been out of stock for a while now and may not be currently produced. (as in the company is not making them anymore) They were considered a good product.

Just checked, their site still shows them, but list them as "backordered". And again, I believe they have been on backorder for sometime.

http://funprojects.com/products/10505v.aspx

Last edited by JSeery; 08-12-2020 at 05:08 PM.
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 07:44 PM   #3
terry

The Fun Project voltage reg was intended for the early 3 brush generators that were made up till 1939. They were much better than the original cutouts. They could be bought for converting these 6v generators to 12 v, but the amps output had to be lowered by the 3rd brush to around 9 amp maximum, if i remember right. And you could buy them for neg ground. Worked well for me, as i didn't have any radio or heater that would increase needed amperage. Terry
terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 07:47 PM   #4
MGG

I installed one about 5 years ago. It works exactly as advertised as long as you install it per the instructions.
MGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 07:54 PM   #5
Aarongriffey

I put a few on old Fords for a car collector.
Never had a problem with one. They worked as advertised.
Aarongriffey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 01:02 PM   #6
TFB

Thanks for the history. So this, being 12v, would be used on cars which had 3 brush generators that had the fields and arm converted to 12v? Was that a popular mod?

Years back my '35 had the original 3 brush, but after cutout issues I converted to a later 2 brush generator from '40, using a '38 standard sheave to keep my fan in the original location. Recently I've swapped out a post '55 12v unit by changing the front cover.

So I guess I need to stick with the 3 wire voltage regulator but a 12 volt model.

Most that I see are mechanical, and I was interested in a solid state unit since I'm hiding this under the dash.

I've looked at some Bosch units in service on VWs but I know there is an issue when the field is internally grounded as the Ford's are.

Is anyone using any currently oem mass produced ss regulators, and if so, what's their performance?
Old 08-14-2020, 01:22 PM   #7
tubman

After experiencing serious over voltage problems in my '67 Corvette and running through several defective VR's, I switched to a solid state unit. (I think it was an Echlin from NAPA.) It was small enough to install in the stock Delco case, so it is undetectable from an original. That was about 6 years ago and I have not had a problem since.

I can dig the number up if you need it.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 02:03 PM   #8
Automotive Stud

Possibly an unpopular opinion, but if you are going to 12v negative ground, and don't want an external voltage regulator on the firewall, than go with a powermaster or even better an EJ Whitney alternator/generator that will just hook up with one wire and retain the generator look.
Automotive Stud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 05:23 PM   #9
terry

I am going with a 3 brush generator conversion on my 36. Was having trouble overheating with it until i went with a Bosch electronic volt. reg for 68-94 VW's. It solved my problem. No matter how fast i go, it shuts down the charging at 13.7 volts. Instructions were only in Spanish (it's made in mexico) but a U tube video helped me with where to put the wires. Terry I have it under the dash.
Old 08-14-2020, 06:11 PM   #10
Will D

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSeery View Post
If it is the FunProjects I think they have been out of stock for a while now and may not be currently produced. (as in the company is not making them anymore) They were considered a good product.

Just checked, their site still shows them, but list them as "backordered". And again, I believe they have been on backorder for sometime.

http://funprojects.com/products/10505v.aspx
I was able to get a fun projects 6v pos ground from mac auto parts. Was listed temporarily unavailable, waited over a year but was notified a few months back more came in. It always lists them as temporally unavailable on their webpage but they do appear every now and then....
Will D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 07:51 PM   #11
terry

TFB, I reread your 2nd post and no, the 6v generator was not converted. A 6v generator can put out 12v but you have to be careful. They tell you in the Fun Project VR for 12 volts that you must limit the amps (about 9) or you'll burn out the generator. This isn't good if you have a lot of things in your car that require electricity...radio, heater fan, etc. It worked for me even driving at night. But that is about all I ever used that was requiring extra amps. Terry
Old 08-16-2020, 09:45 PM   #12
TFB

A lot of interesting experiences and opinions. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Automotive Stud View Post
Possibly an unpopular opinion, but if you are going to 12v negative ground, and don't want an external voltage regulator on the firewall, than go with a powermaster or even better an EJ Whitney alternator/generator that will just hook up with one wire and retain the generator look.
A.S., I looked at the Powergen a few years back but you couldn't mount the fan on one, or at least you couldn't back then. From what I recall it was either the rpms or bearing issues, but I know for a fact that tech support said no fan.

As for the EJ Whitney alternator/generator, what do they cost? No prices on their website, so it's probably high. I can tell you I have 50 bucks wrapped up in the rebuilt '56 genny and a couple hours swapping out the front cover and trimming the mount ear off the back and sanding and buffing it out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by terry View Post
TFB, I reread your 2nd post and no, the 6v generator was not converted. A 6v generator can put out 12v but you have to be careful. They tell you in the Fun Project VR for 12 volts that you must limit the amps (about 9) or you'll burn out the generator. This isn't good if you have a lot of things in your car that require electricity...radio, heater fan, etc. It worked for me even driving at night. But that is about all I ever used that was requiring extra amps. Terry
Terry, When I looked and compared the internals between the 6 & 12 volt generators there wasn't anything obvious. However I remember seeing a part listing which showed distinct 12v and 6v field coils so I thought there must be a difference. But the housing are identical.

Last edited by TFB; 08-16-2020 at 09:55 PM.
Old 08-16-2020, 11:07 PM   #13
koates

Comparing 6 & 12 volt generators, the field coils and also the armature windings are a different gauge wire. The 6 volt windings are a heavier or thicker gauge wire. Regards, Kevin.
koates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 09:40 AM   #14
Automotive Stud

Quote:
Originally Posted by TFB View Post
A lot of interesting experiences and opinions. Thanks.

A.S., I looked at the Powergen a few years back but you couldn't mount the fan on one, or at least you couldn't back then. From what I recall it was either the rpms or bearing issues, but I know for a fact that tech support said no fan.

As for the EJ Whitney alternator/generator, what do they cost? No prices on their website, so it's probably high. I can tell you I have 50 bucks wrapped up in the rebuilt '56 genny and a couple hours swapping out the front cover and trimming the mount ear off the back and sanding and buffing it out.

Terry, When I looked and compared the internals between the 6 & 12 volt generators there wasn't anything obvious. However I remember seeing a part listing which showed distinct 12v and 6v field coils so I thought there must be a difference. But the housing are identical.
I bought an EJW about two years ago, and it was slightly more than a powermaster, maybe another $100. But they use a stock Ford front mount/bearing, so I don't think running a fan with theirs would be an issue. I'd call and talk with Tom, it's worth a phone call.
Automotive Stud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 10:34 AM   #15
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Automotive Stud View Post
I bought an EJW about two years ago, and it was slightly more than a powermaster, maybe another $100. But they use a stock Ford front mount/bearing, so I don't think running a fan with theirs would be an issue. I'd call and talk with Tom, it's worth a phone call.
They use the front and rear of your original generator and replace the center section. They can make the unit up as a one wire or several wires. I like the second option and retain the original Voltage regulator (gutted out inside and use the terminals for connection point). That retains the original look, but if you like the one-wire hook-up that is the normal configuration they build.

Each one is custom built using your generator (I think you can purchase a core for them if need be). There is often a lot of talk on the Barn here about quality and US make parts, but when someone provides both there is a complaint about wanting mass-produced China pricing! These units are custom built to your specifications using original Ford parts and built in the US.
Old 08-17-2020, 10:59 AM   #16
Merc Cruzer

Is there such a thing as a solid state, positive ground, 6 volt, voltage regulator?
Merc Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 11:16 AM   #17
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc Cruzer View Post
Is there such a thing as a solid state, positive ground, 6 volt, voltage regulator?
That is what the Fun Projects Cut-out is. It is just inside an original looking case. Problem is the are almost always out of stock.
Old 08-17-2020, 11:44 AM   #18
tubman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc Cruzer View Post
As I said in an earlier post, I have a modern 12 V negative ground unit in the original dated Delco case in my Corvette. I liked it so much, that I did an extensive search for a similar 6 V positive ground unit, but came up empty. I did find the "Fun Products" unit, but they seem to be unavailable at present or ever, from what I can see. There is no one unit that you can buy from Amazon that will do the job. One could be put together (I have spoken to my partner about this), but in the quantities that would sell, the cost of making them would be too high for the average enthusiast to stomach. I think that the "Fun Products" folks have found that it is difficult to sell them at a price that justifies making them.

I have experienced the same phenomenon with my 6 V positive ground Tach Drivers. I got into making them because it seems that on just about every applicable old car board, people were clamoring for such a device. We figured out how to do it (which was more difficult than we originally thought) and made a prototype, and then a pre-production run of 10. This sold out rather quickly at a break-even price, so we made another 20, and they have been just sitting. I sell one about every 3 or 4 months to someone who wants to put the finishing touch on his completed vehicle, but it is just not practical for us to continue making them. We have most of the required components in stock, and when the remaining stock is depleted, will be offering them on a one by one basis for about twice the price of the current offerings.

What "JSeery" said about "There is often a lot of talk on the Barn here about quality and US ma(d)e parts, but when someone provides both there is a complaint about wanting mass-produced China pricing!" is absolutely true in my experience.
Old 08-17-2020, 06:51 PM   #19
TFB

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubman View Post
After experiencing serious over voltage problems in my '67 Corvette and running through several defective VR's, I switched to a solid state unit. (I think it was an Echlin from NAPA.) It was small enough to install in the stock Delco case, so it is undetectable from an original. That was about 6 years ago and I have not had a problem since.

I can dig the number up if you need it.
I'd be interested in checking that unit out if you can post the info. Thanks Tubman
Old 08-17-2020, 07:53 PM   #20
tubman

You can use a Wells VR-715 or an Echlin VR-142; the Wells is quite a bit cheaper. Lately, this product has been released. I have read some good things about it : https://www.zip-corvette.com/63-68-v...onversion.html