Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-25-2024, 10:50 AM   #21
Kube

Default Re: Spring removal and Columbia installation

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean333 View Post
Kube, I’m sure you meant removing the RIGHT axle housing.

I don’t know what you consider “easy”, especially if it’s up on jack stands. Adjusting the gear mesh pattern is an all day job….taking it apart at least three times to get the proper shim thickness. I can’t imagine doing that on your back as well as everything else. Everyone I’ve talked to says it’s an eight hour process.
I did misstate. Actually, both housings must be removed. Thanks for the catch. I didn't mean to add confusion to this thread.
Eight hours? I can imagine that if a guy is doing this for the first time.
I'd installed so many of these, it's a fairly easy process for me. Getting up and down not so much anymore
Old 05-04-2024, 09:32 PM   #22
SoCalCoupe

I am unbelievably slow but making progress. Bought an additional pair of jack stands last month then went on vacation. Borrowed a spring spreader from a fellow EFV8 club member.

Spent the morning in the garage and detached the spring, removed the other hub and both backing plates. Was concerned about making a mess with brake fluid but didn't. Just put a paper towel under the brake line as I was disconnecting it and caught the couple of drops that leaked out.

Had to stop because I couldn't remember how to disassemble the axle. Looks like I need to drain the oil then remove the LH housing and RH housing. Then the axles come out after I remove the housings.

The differential drain and fill plugs are badly rounded out. I'll buy some new ones. I'll wrap my 3/8" drive in shim stock to wrench out the existing ones so I don't strip them out completely. Looks like I'll also have to buy some lock-wire for reassembly of the internals.
SoCalCoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2024, 03:38 AM   #23
deuce lover

The axles are all connected with the carriier along with the ring gear. It all comes out the left side after removing the left axle housing . Then remove the right axle housing.

Last edited by deuce lover; 05-05-2024 at 06:34 AM.
deuce lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2024, 06:27 AM   #24
glennpm

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean333 View Post
Kube, I’m sure you meant removing the RIGHT axle housing.

I don’t know what you consider “easy”, especially if it’s up on jack stands. Adjusting the gear mesh pattern is an all day job….taking it apart at least three times to get the proper shim thickness. I can’t imagine doing that on your back as well as everything else. Everyone I’ve talked to says it’s an eight hour process.

Agree that this is the worst part. I did mine on a workbench and wouldn't want to do it under the car. Parts get heavier as I get older :-)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~---------------
Rumble Seat's NotesTechno-Source for the 1932 thru 1953 Flathead Ford
glennpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2024, 06:44 AM   #25
Bored&Stroked

Getting the backlash and gear mesh correctly set is really important for the overall noise and life of the gears. Preload on the pinion is important as well - though you're probably not taking the pinion out of the banjo, so you might get away with leaving it alone.

I can't imagine doing it on the floor of my garage and actually believe it would not be easy to know you had it correctly set. I'd take the whole unit out of the car and work on it where you can really see what the heck you're doing.

I make a wooden "box" out of 2" x 6" boards and stand 1/2 of the unit on it (no axles in it) - vertically (with backing plate on). Now that it is supported and about waist high, I can work on the setup of the gears and differential (side gaskets) to get the gear mesh where it needs to be. Once this is all correctly setup, then I put the whole unit together with the axles.

I also made a plate that picks up the banjo bolt-circle - so I can work on the unit on an engine stand. This makes a lot of the work a bit easier as well. The only bad part is my stands are not tall enough to completely rotate the unit . . . Oh well!

IMG_7500 copy.jpg

IMG_7732.jpg

IMG_7747 copy.jpg

Last edited by Bored&Stroked; 05-05-2024 at 06:50 AM.
Bored&Stroked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2024, 12:17 PM   #26
motordr

Oh boy Dale, that Chuck key.
motordr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2024, 02:14 PM   #27
petehoovie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bored&Stroked View Post
Getting the backlash and gear mesh correctly set is really important for the overall noise and life of the gears. Preload on the pinion is important as well - though you're probably not taking the pinion out of the banjo, so you might get away with leaving it alone.

I can't imagine doing it on the floor of my garage and actually believe it would not be easy to know you had it correctly set. I'd take the whole unit out of the car and work on it where you can really see what the heck you're doing.

I make a wooden "box" out of 2" x 6" boards and stand 1/2 of the unit on it (no axles in it) - vertically (with backing plate on). Now that it is supported and about waist high, I can work on the setup of the gears and differential (side gaskets) to get the gear mesh where it needs to be. Once this is all correctly setup, then I put the whole unit together with the axles.

I also made a plate that picks up the banjo bolt-circle - so I can work on the unit on an engine stand. This makes a lot of the work a bit easier as well. The only bad part is my stands are not tall enough to completely rotate the unit . . . Oh well!

"Silver rings, your butt! Them's washers!"
"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NReUd2_0u0
petehoovie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2024, 06:24 AM   #28
Bored&Stroked

Quote:
Originally Posted by motordr View Post
Oh boy Dale, that Chuck key.
I usually never leave it in the lathe . . . but I guess I did on this particular day! LOL
Bored&Stroked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2024, 06:31 AM   #29
motordr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bored&Stroked View Post
I usually never leave it in the lathe . . . but I guess I did on this particular day! LOL
I’m sure that it wasn’t you, must have been your helper. lol.
motordr is offline   Reply With Quote