Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-11-2013, 08:53 AM   #1
ctfortner

Default Installing Stainless Trim Molding

Was just wondering what yall do when you remove, polish, then reinstall your side mouldings. Taking it off was easy. but I hear putting it back on is trickier due to over tightening will dent it, can easily scratch new paintjob, etc.. Some tell me to use tape under it first.

One thing I noticed was the old stuff had the black flexible (sealer) around all the clips. I think I finally determined what that was for, to keep water out. I ordered a box of 3M strip caulk and was going to use that around all the clips when I re install it. Anything I am missing here, or does this sound about right?
ctfortner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 06:58 AM   #2
frank long island

Default Re: Installing Stainless Trim Molding

that is what you need as for tightening just snug them no need to overtighten as for the strip caulk make a circle around the fastener and install have fun and take your time
frank long island is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 07:31 AM   #3
mikhett

I hope you have the original clips as the repo clips available do not work!I bought 50 clips for the side molding for my 62 galaxie and they would not stay tight in the hole,I used spring clips from Restoration Specialties in Winber ,PA.They worked great I might use them on my 56 Victoria restoration.
mikhett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 10:22 AM   #4
ctfortner

Ok, thanks. I do have the clips off the old trim and will re-use them. If any are defective or lost I will give RA a call about their spring clips.
Old 09-12-2013, 04:16 PM   #5
raceron1120

I've got a bunch of leftovers from when my '56 was done. Some I had to buy in boxes of more than I needed so might have some you'll need. I got some from Restoration Specialties, others from Motor City Fasteners. So I you need some, shoot me a pm with a picture and I'll see if I have any.
Ron
raceron1120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 05:15 PM   #6
ctfortner

Will do Ron, thanks! I will try to look tonight or weekend and see how mine are and if I need any, I hope to reinstall soon. If mine are even questionable I may like having new ones so I will holler at you. Spraying lizard skin this week .

Quote:
Originally Posted by raceron1120 View Post
I've got a bunch of leftovers from when my '56 was done. Some I had to buy in boxes of more than I needed so might have some you'll need. I got some from Restoration Specialties, others from Motor City Fasteners. So I you need some, shoot me a pm with a picture and I'll see if I have any.
Ron