Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-18-2013, 10:46 PM   #1
Msaby

Default Another Charging question

I am now at the point where I would like to check out the charging system. I have read several posts and have read other publications but I am still very confused. At idle the amp guage reads slightly on the charge size. When I accelerate the guage peaks on the charging side. I placed a voltmeter on the battery and I get a reading of 6.58 volts. I am not sure what it should read. All the wiring is correct and I have cleaned all connections. I understand that the generater (powerhouse style) can be adjusted. I don't understand what is meant by removing the cover band and pry the brush to adjust it. I can't seem to find what the amp guage should read under normal conditions. I have also read if I plan to use the lights a lot I should increase it by 2amps. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Mike
Msaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 02:57 AM   #2
Tom Wesenberg

Default Re: Another Charging question

If you unsnap the wire on the rear cover you will see one brush has a slot so it can be slid up and down. Loosen the screw and slide it up to lower the adjustment. Be very careful, as the bakelit ring is very fragile, and already often cracked or broken.

My powerhouse was putting out more than I liked, so I started making electronic voltage regulators that fit inside the rear cover. With the EVR, the adjustable brush is removed, so no further adjustments will ever be needed. If I wasn't running with my EVR, then I'd try to get the amps to about 2, unless I did a lot of night driving.

Here's a picture showing the brush holder with the EVR installed on a 3 brush powerhouse and notice the adjustable brush has been removed.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg EVR Powerhouse 3 Brush1.jpg (83.0 KB, 41 views)
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 08:25 AM   #3
Jim/GA

An EVR is the way to go. Otherwise the generator puts out pretty much constant amps (once the RPM is high enough to put out anything at all) and that constant current is going to be wrong a lot of the time. You will either end up with a dead battery (that's why Ford provided the hand crank) or you will be boiling water out of your overcharged battery.

This is a hidden modification that does not detract one bit from the original look and feel of the Model A, so why not do it?

From reading the Service Bulletins, you can tell car owners of the day had to mess around a lot with batteries. They were changing the charge rate winter and summer, they were taking specific gravity readings on the acid in each cell, etc. We take them for granted today.
Jim/GA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 11:46 AM   #4
Msaby

How diffcult is it to install an EVR and where would I be able to obtain one. Once installed is there any adjustment at all?

I hope to get out in the garage this weekend to take a look at the generator.

Thanks
Mike
Msaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 06:08 AM   #5
Jim/GA

I think Tom sells one. Not hard to put in.
Jim/GA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 07:50 AM   #6
Patrick L.

Yep, Tom W sells them. Not hard to install, Tom even furnishes the instructions ! It is a good addition, just install it and go.
Patrick L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 09:55 AM   #7
Purdy Swoft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Msaby View Post
How diffcult is it to install an EVR and where would I be able to obtain one. Once installed is there any adjustment at all?

I hope to get out in the garage this weekend to take a look at the generator.

Thanks
Mike
There are at least three different EVR setups available, all good, as far as I know. I use the Fun Projects can style voltage regulator. The Fun Projects regulator looks like the early 27-28 cutout. It mounts in place of the cutout, no modifications to the generator are necessary. For the six volt version, you set the third brush for a fifteen amp maximum charge and thats it. It works like modern cars. They also have a twelve volt version. I have used both the six and twelve volt versions. I.ve been running the twelve volt regulator on our roadster for seven years and love it.
Purdy Swoft is offline   Reply With Quote