Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-14-2010, 02:25 PM   #1
ctfortner

Default Clutch Pedal Bushings

I and running the factory clutch and brake pedal in the 56. The clutch pedal was removed years ago and I just recently put it back in for my conversion. I realized after the fact I did not have the bushings that the pedal arm rides in. I cannot find them anywhere. I think the part is 7551. Anyway we were gonna just make some new ones, but if I could find some cheap enough it sure would be quicker to buy some. Its just a little sloppy without them, but barely noticeable.

Anyone know?

Thanks!
ctfortner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 03:23 PM   #2
Galaxiedriver

Default Re: Clutch Pedal Bushings

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctfortner View Post
I and running the factory clutch and brake pedal in the 56. The clutch pedal was removed years ago and I just recently put it back in for my conversion. I realized after the fact I did not have the bushings that the pedal arm rides in. I cannot find them anywhere. I think the part is 7551. Anyway we were gonna just make some new ones, but if I could find some cheap enough it sure would be quicker to buy some. Its just a little sloppy without them, but barely noticeable.

Anyone know?

Thanks!
Try this link
http://www.midwestearlyford.com/

Last edited by Galaxiedriver; 05-14-2010 at 03:42 PM.
Galaxiedriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 06:20 PM   #3
ctfortner

Did you see a part there for a 56? I am not finding anything for the 56. If you did see it could you post what part # your looking at there? thanks!
Old 05-14-2010, 07:35 PM   #4
raceron1120

According to my parts book the 7551s are bearings & weren't serviced separately by Ford for the '56s.

You might check & see if they're the same size diameter as the brake pedal; I think there's 1 or 2 nylon bushings on it. The part # for them is B5A 2481 A. Mac's has 'em listed but (GULP!) $25.95 each.

Ron
raceron1120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 09:12 PM   #5
Galaxiedriver

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctfortner View Post
Did you see a part there for a 56? I am not finding anything for the 56. If you did see it could you post what part # your looking at there? thanks!
Oops, sorry, looks like what I saw was for a truck. They used grey plastic or nylon bushings for years on many Fords and I would think other years would fit. These are for a 65 and up Mustang. Maybe you could make them work.
http://johnsmustang.com/Parts/details-1792.html
Galaxiedriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 06:30 PM   #6
rick55

Check out page 41 of the 52-59 catalogue from Dennis Carpenter. You can do it online.
This is the bit that is usually worn out.
They also have the bearings for the clutch pedal shaft.
Regards

1958 Ford Mainline Utility, 1955 Ford Tudor Sedan

Quote:
Anyone who stops learning is old, whether at twenty or eighty. Anyone who keeps learning stays young. The greatest thing in life is to keep your mind young.
Henry Ford
rick55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 02:00 PM   #7
28RPU

Ditto on Dennis Carpenter.About a buck fifty a piece.
28RPU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 10:43 AM   #8
ctfortner

Thanks for the info. Ron, that looks like what I need, however I dont understand the difference in the 2 parts in the pic below. For 57-59 its $1, the other part you mentioned is for 55-59 and is $25, but has a different name. Is it 2 completely different parts?

Old 05-17-2010, 06:53 PM   #9
raceron1120

I have no clue why the difference in price. Here's what the Ford book shows:

According to it, Ford shows only one bushing (2481) on the brake pedal. Also the footnote says those clutch pedal bearings (7551) aren't used on '56s (this illustration is multi-year so apparently they're used on the '55s). You might want to call Mac's or one of the other parts suppliers that has these bushings. Mac's has a tech support staff so maybe they can assist.

When I worked Ford Parts we usually had a half-dozen or so different sizes of those split nylon bushings, I kept them in a small box and would let the techs or customers pick which ones they needed for select fit. Those bushings were used on a wide range of vehicles. I doubt you'd find anyone who does that anymore.
raceron1120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 07:30 AM   #10
ctfortner

Yeah, see thats what I thought I needed, part 7551 because I saw that too in one of my books. Hmm I will give them a call, maybe I am assuming I am missing a part that I am not. There is not that much play there, the main reason I was looking for them is because I saw that picture you posted in a book and though, I dont have those and should get them so there is no play at all. I will post back what I find out. Thanks!