Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-27-2016, 10:41 AM   #1
MGG

Default 2 Stromberg 97 questions

1. I have a 1934 truck with a Stromberg 97 carburetor. When I removed it from the intake manifold recently I noticed a smaller hole maybe 3/8 +/- (did not measure it) which went down into the manifold. It is toward the front and between the two larger holes in which the fuel mixture travels to the cylinders. Neither the carburetor nor the gasket between it and the manifold have a corresponding hole. What is it for?

2. I have a 4 other Stromberg 97s one of which has a smaller base that is of a different shape than the others (less contact area with the manifold). Otherwise it appears to be identical on the outside with the others. What gives?
MGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 02:38 PM   #2
Terry,OH

Default Re: 2 Stromberg 97 questions

The hole in question goes to the engine block exhaust for heating the manifold Nearly all of the Ford manifolds of the time have the chamber for heating the intake, not all have the hole under the Carb. If your manifold has the hole you can not use a 94 Carb unless you block the hole. The exhaust gases would cook a 94 Carb and cause power valve damage unless blocked.
The correct base for the 97 should be marked EE-1. There is a EE-1-1 that has additional idle circuits it is also improper for the 97.
Terry,OH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 02:00 PM   #3
MGG

Terry,OH - Thanks for your quick reply. I do have the EE-1 under my 97, so I guess I am ok with that set up. The Stromberg supplied gasket under the carburetor blocks off the manifold hole. Looking at the bottom of the bases of my spare 94s (I have about 6 of them, all from big trucks), I see a channel between the two barrels and a small hole which lines up with the hole coming up through the manifold and connects to the channel. This seems to contradict what you said about not using that type of base with a 94. Please advise.
Old 08-29-2016, 02:11 PM   #4
Bruce Lancaster
Member Emeritus

That hole in a 94 type is a vacuum passage that operates the power valve...routing the exhaust up there would fry the power valve diaphragm and probably boil the fuel in the bowl while sending exhaust through the two little passages, creating an unplanned and uncontrolled EGR system...not much good news in any of that!
Bruce Lancaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 05:21 PM   #5
Terry,OH

MGG: You can use the 97 without blocking the hole in the manifold because the gasket as well as the EE-1 base will block the hole. If you ever plan to use the later Holley Ford type 94 Carb you will then have to block the hole in the manifold. Hope this is what I said in my first post.
Terry,OH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 08:50 PM   #6
MGG

Got it. Thanks for the clarification Bruce and Terry,OH.