Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-31-2021, 05:01 PM   #1
drfromnc

Default 34 service manuals

So I am about to embark on a daunting but doable task. My dad is letting me have his partly dissembled 34 truck to put back together. It has a 59a (1948 so I am told with only 10k miles on it) flat head but not sure what transmission and diff is in it yet. According to him it also has juice brakes and been converted to 12 volt but I gotta bring it home and ID it all. I know everyone on here will be a tremendous resources and I thank you in advance. I also know of a former colleague who owns an all original 34 Ford I can lean on information. He and I met via EFV8 club. I already told him I plan to use his car as a reference on various systems.

I already bought the 33-34 Ford book from EFV8, the Ford green book, the How to build a traditional hot rod by Bishop and Tardel, Ford flathead engines by Thacker and Herman.

I am an avid YouTuber and follow Iron Trap Garage and Wired customs as well as member of The Flat Spot Facebook group. I realize too this might be an open ended question and there won’t be any one book or reference material that will cover it all but I am looking for suggestions.

What service manuals are out there for me to buy so I can see how the various systems are put together and/or serviced? You know schematics, torque specs and how to do it.
drfromnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2021, 05:41 PM   #2
VeryTangled

Default Re: 34 service manuals

Quote:
Originally Posted by drfromnc View Post
What service manuals are out there for me...
Welcome to the FordBarn Forums drfromnc.

This here forum may be superior to what you might expect to find in most places.

Another suggestion is the service bulletins. They are available in repro form and have diagrams and procedures. Pic is from billybronco.

Here's an example of the type of info found in the service bulletins.

https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showp...8&postcount=48

Have you thought about supporting the Early Ford V-8 Foundation Museum?

Last edited by VeryTangled; 03-31-2021 at 05:48 PM.
VeryTangled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 07:52 AM   #3
totto

VeryTangled has good suggestion and it appears that you also have acquired some other good references as well. The "Ford Barn" will be another source for your "project". You will get lots of info from the "Barn". I restored a 1934 pickup, so feel free to ask. There are no "dumb questions", so ask and take advantage of all the Ford Barners!
totto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 01:18 PM   #4
drfromnc

thanks VeryTangled and totto. This morning i bought 32-37 and 38-48 service bulletin books on ebay for $33 shipped.

Totto, tell me more about your truck? either reply here or PM me but if you PM i can't reply yet....my post count is not reached the threshold.
Old 06-02-2021, 09:10 AM   #5
drfromnc

so I finally got my project truck home. Well most of it. Still need to get more pieces and parts from dads barn including coffee cans of nuts and bolts..SMH. As a test I read thru the various books I have and searched online to see how I might put together the front end. for example, what bolts, nuts and washers are the correct ones to use. I am not seeing any information for a 33-34 commercial pickup. How in world am I going to figure this out???? Am I going to have to rely on asking this forum or finding someone local that has a 33-34 commercial pickup to use a reference or both?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0031.jpg (162.6 KB, 33 views)
Old 06-02-2021, 09:20 AM   #6
deuce lover

Its still gift wrapped !
deuce lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2021, 09:29 AM   #7
rockfla

Quote:
Originally Posted by drfromnc View Post
so I finally got my project truck home. Well most of it. Still need to get more pieces and parts from dads barn including coffee cans of nuts and bolts..SMH. As a test I read thru the various books I have and searched online to see how I might put together the front end. for example, what bolts, nuts and washers are the correct ones to use. I am not seeing any information for a 33-34 commercial pickup. How in world am I going to figure this out???? Am I going to have to rely on asking this forum or finding someone local that has a 33-34 commercial pickup to use a reference or both?
Third Gen Automotive will be a good source for you to add to your speed dial on your phone. Mike will have a "good" selection of fasteners for the Ford V8 as well as a great parts source. His name is Mike Driskell, Third Gen Automotive. 844-327-5988, also has a web page and goes by 35FordTN here on the barn as well!!!
rockfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2021, 10:35 AM   #8
drfromnc

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockfla View Post
Third Gen Automotive will be a good source for you to add to your speed dial on your phone. Mike will have a "good" selection of fasteners for the Ford V8 as well as a great parts source. His name is Mike Driskell, Third Gen Automotive. 844-327-5988, also has a web page and goes by 35FordTN here on the barn as well!!!
thanks Rockfla. i have already browsed the website and related catalog. does look like a good source.
Old 06-02-2021, 03:23 PM   #9
totto

Smile Re: 34 service manuals

I restored my '34 pickup as well as a 1937 1 1/2 ton dump truck. Please feel free to ask questions. Be glad to help. The Early Ford V8 club has a 1932-34 book that will help but the 1932 book that the Early Ford v8 club has is just as good too. They are $$ but you will get a lot of good info if you want to "restore " your truck "like Henry made it". Mack's out of Moberly, MO has a nice book on photos of pickup trucks. The "Green Book" for parts is OK, but the earlier chassis book, 1928-1937 would be better(less $$). That's my "2 cents".
totto is offline   Reply With Quote