Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-20-2010, 06:57 PM   #1
Bill in Al

Default Blue engine

I've been reading the posts about green engines and blue ones. My '41 was built about 300K from end of production and has a blue engine and has a ledge in the block above the timing cover. Is this the ledge spoken about that will hold a pencil and designate it as a true blue engine? I can't tell yet if the paint is factory or not.Also when the new tires get here I will put on duel exhaust. Thinking of gutted mufflers of days gone by for me! Is anyone running them now? If so,how do they sound to my fellow "old guys"? I guess if I don't like the sound I can always change to Smithies.
Bill in Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 07:12 PM   #2
havi

Default Re: Blue engine

Porters make a nice sound as well. No affiliation.
Old 08-20-2010, 07:45 PM   #3
ken ct
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill in Al View Post
I've been reading the posts about green engines and blue ones. My '41 was built about 300K from end of production and has a blue engine and has a ledge in the block above the timing cover. Is this the ledge spoken about that will hold a pencil and designate it as a true blue engine? I can't tell yet if the paint is factory or not.Also when the new tires get here I will put on duel exhaust. Thinking of gutted mufflers of days gone by for me! Is anyone running them now? If so,how do they sound to my fellow "old guys"? I guess if I don't like the sound I can always change to Smithies.
Run small original size tailpipes with NO mufflers,you will be surprised at the quietness of it. You can alwaws run Brockmans [the best] if you want mufflers on it later. Smithies rot out real quick,made in China. ken ct. Blue is supposed to be 42 up?
ken ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 09:03 AM   #4
flatjack9

Starting later in 41, the Merc engines were painted blue. Yes the ledge should hold the pencil. Also there should be an area between the heads and manifold surface that is not machined. This was also on the later 41 engines.
flatjack9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 05:04 PM   #5
Kube

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Quote:
Originally Posted by flatjack9 View Post
Starting later in 41, the Merc engines were painted blue. Yes the ledge should hold the pencil. Also there should be an area between the heads and manifold surface that is not machined. This was also on the later 41 engines.
I had just recently found evidence at the Ford Archives that the raised surface on the intake (plane) came about in late August, 1940 destined for 1941 production.
This has always been a point of contention amongst '39 & '40 Ford owners. Well, as soon as the new '40 book is published for the Ford Club of America this contentious point can finally be laid to rest. That, along with many other points that have been controversial for decades...
Kube is offline   Reply With Quote