Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-11-2019, 03:44 PM   #1
rocket1

Default Rim flaps

I'm finally getting around to changing the back wheel that has a bad wobble it has only been 40 years.I found a good almost true rim in my parts stash but it has some major rust pits on the inside of the rim.I see coker sells flaps that cover the entire inside of the rim giving you a nice smooth surface for the tube to sit on,I'm wondering if any one has tried a flap in the rim before i order one,the rim is 21 inch.
rocket1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 04:57 PM   #2
fundytides

Default Re: Rim flaps

Wood wheels or wire? Flaps are mandatory on wood wheel rims. Wires only use rim liners in the "gutters"
fundytides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 05:00 PM   #3
fundytides

Sorry. Thinking of Model T's. Please disregard.
fundytides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 05:17 PM   #4
RUNNERBUN

Yes I have used them for the same reason you mention and they do work. Unfortunately they are very difficult to insert and more so when they have been in there for some time they become very stiff and even more difficult to work with. Be prepared to loose some skin off your knuckles.
Old 05-11-2019, 07:34 PM   #5
Synchro909

The only time I use a rim liner is after I repair a wheel after a spoke is pulled off the rim. I drill a hole about 1/4" dia where the spoke should be, hold it in place while I plug weld it from the outside. I then grind off any roughness and for good measure, use a rim liner to see that the tube is OK. I have done that several times.
Old 05-12-2019, 06:27 AM   #6
John in SATX

I used them when I replaced my tires a while back. I agree they are tough to work with but definitely worth it in my view. It just takes patience, good tire "irons" and some good tube-lube to get them right. They will make for a more firm tire it seems but I have driven many a mile touring and in general use with no problem. I highly recommend them!
Old 05-12-2019, 11:44 AM   #7
Purdy Swoft

I've used them on pitted wheels . I make my own flaps from used modern type inner tubes . I cut most of the used tube off and stretch the remaining part of the tube over the inner pitted part of the rim . Pitted or rough rims will cause flats , sooner than later . flaps can be expensive . I don't need flaps on smooth non rusted wheels .
Purdy Swoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 11:58 AM   #8
barkleydave

I use them on my 29. I replaced them when I put on new Firestones. Best part my local tire store (small town) one of the owners owns Model A's did all 4 tires tubes and flaps for installation fee of 5 bucks per wheel! (That included removing the old tires and cleaning rims. Can't beat that!!!!
barkleydave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 12:27 PM   #9
Purdy Swoft

Quote:
Originally Posted by barkleydave View Post
I use them on my 29. I replaced them when I put on new Firestones. Best part my local tire store (small town) one of the owners owns Model A's did all 4 tires tubes and flaps for installation fee of 5 bucks per wheel! (That included removing the old tires and cleaning rims. Can't beat that!!!!

You got a great deal !!!!!!! I see that Snyder lists the flaps at $24.95 each . Flaps can be expensive , depending on where you get them .
Old 05-12-2019, 04:57 PM   #10
Mad Mac

Just use an old tube, cut down to fit - free.
Mad Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 10:44 PM   #11
holdover

I have had good luck over the years with 3M All weather Flashing tape 8067 it comes in different widths, 3 or 4" works great for most wheels and it is remarkable how well it sticks and is flexible. I usually make two turns around the wheel to cover rough spots or ground welds. The nice part is that it doesn't interfere with the tire or tube mounting process. I got the idea from years of working on road and mountain bike rims, using a liner that is like medical adhesive tape. the 3m product can be purchased at Home Depot or on line. Lowes sells the Pella brand tape which also works good.
holdover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 03:35 PM   #12
rotorwrench

I've seen everything from duct tape to nothing at all. Where they are most important is on a spoked wheel with removable spokes. The spoke nipples stick up rather proud on some wheels and will wear a hole through the tube over time. A lot of folks don't use them on Ford cars with wood or welded spoke wheels unless there is something that sticks up and will cause problems. It certainly doesn't hurt to use them even if they aren't necessary but it can sometimes complicate installation of a tire if they are too large or thick.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 06:27 PM   #13
1930 coupe

Has anyone tried to smooth out a pitted rim by using body filler or anything similar. Were your results good or bad.
1930 coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 08:12 PM   #14
Mikeinnj

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1930 coupe View Post
Has anyone tried to smooth out a pitted rim by using body filler or anything similar. Were your results good or bad.
Yes , I used an epoxy body filler to smooth out the rough and pitted inside rim surface then sanded it smooth and brushed on a coat of "West" Marine Epoxy , let it dry well and then installed the21 inch tubes and tires. Lasted 28 years until I sold the car.
Mikeinnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 01:23 AM   #15
redmodelt

It's rim liners and tire flaps, one goes on the rim and the other in the tire, and just wait till you have to clean that duct tape off your wheel. Hope the other suggestions are nothing like duct tape!
Old 05-15-2019, 09:24 AM   #16
rotorwrench

I don't recall seeing anyone suggest duct tape here but I've found in a lot of wheels from leaky Truespoke aftermarket rims to motorcycle rims. Folks tend to use whatever is at hand when they are inexperienced and in a hurry.

I've also noticed that the tube type tires tend to hold moisture against the rim just by design whether there it a protective barrier or just a tube. This is where all the rust pits come from. I don't care for flaps since they can impede installation of a tire but some tires were designed to use them like it or not. I like the rim strips better but in any case I usually spread a thin coat of Lubriplate grease between the barrier and the wheel rim so that they won't corrode as bad. I don't put a lot in there and I avoid getting any on the tube but I do coat the area of the rim where the barrier makes contact. I haven't experienced any problem due to this yet.

Last edited by rotorwrench; 05-17-2019 at 08:44 AM.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 11:04 AM   #17
Purdy Swoft

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1930 coupe View Post
If the wheel has been sandblasted , A good grade of body filler will work . I only mix a small amount of filler at a time . I only mix enough that I can smoothly spread with my finger before it begins to harden . I repeat the process until done . It takes much less sanding if the filler is smoothly applied . I've never had a problem with this method .
Old 05-16-2019, 04:32 PM   #18
redmodelt

"I've seen everything from duct tape to nothing at all." I posted what I did in case anyone thinks about using duct tape, what a mess it makes.

Last edited by redmodelt; 05-16-2019 at 06:41 PM.
redmodelt is offline   Reply With Quote