Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-26-2017, 07:40 AM   #1
LizardsA

Default Will not start after engine rebuild

I'm having trouble starting an 'A' after an engine rebuild.

Here is a list of what I have been through already:
1. Timing gear and crankshaft gear aligned correctly
2. Distributor lower shaft and upper shaft aligned correctly
3. Voltage checks:
a. 6v at both terminals of the coil
b. 6v at the coil wire on the distributor cap
c. 6v at the points
d. Spark at the spark plug connectors to the spark plugs
e. Points set at .020"
f. Spark plugs set at .035"
4. Timing set correctly - timing dimple is the only "mark" on the timing gear
5. Fuel:
a. Carburettor cleaned out twice with compressed air
b. Carburettor fixed firmly to intake manifold
c. Strong flow of fuel to the carburettor
d. GAV set correctly

There isn't even as much as a fire when cranking the engine.

What am I doing wrong?
LizardsA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 07:45 AM   #2
RonC

Default Re: Will not start after engine rebuild

Gas spark and air will get you a pop. Which don't you have?? Pull a plug is it firing? Maybe it's flooded?
RonC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 07:51 AM   #3
Greg Jones

If you have consistent spark at the plugs, then you must not be getting fuel. Make sure your carb float valve needle is not stuck, and that you are getting proper fuel flow into the bowl of the carb. You can check this quickly by unscrewing the bottom half of the carb, then opening your fuel valve under the dash. If you get a flow of gas that is a good sign. (You should do this outdoors, in the driveway, and only long enough to confirm flow.) Make sure your fuel line is not "pinched at the end" where it screws into the carb. Make sure the fuel line does not protrude too far into the carb at the fuel inlet port. This all assumes the carb is a stock Zenith. You could also have a plugged jet in which case you will have to investigate.
Greg Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 08:05 AM   #4
emf

I'm sure you are aware of two types of timing... Spark and Valve. Are your valves completely closed at the right time with the Piston? What kind of compression numbers do you have?

Frank
emf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 08:09 AM   #5
SeaSlugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by emf View Post
I'm sure you are aware of two types of timing... Spark and Valve. Are your valves completely closed at the right time with the Piston? What kind of compression numbers do you have?

Frank
yes check compression - im wondering if the valve lash isnt set right if they reground the seats...
Old 07-26-2017, 08:50 AM   #6
BoysToys1928A

I did this very thing and after turning rotor to fire on #4 instead of #1 the engine started right up. And mine was also after an engine rebuild. Just a thought to look at... Larry
Old 07-26-2017, 09:21 AM   #7
Marshall V. Daut

After checking all the things recommended so far, remove the spark plugs and spray some starter fluid into each cylinder. Replace the plugs and start the engine. If it doesn't start or at least pop-pop-pop, you still have electrical problems, not fuel. Once the engine starts after spraying in the starter fluid, the engine should stay running, aided by you moving the spark lever down and tweaking the GAV to get the best mixture. Often new engines can't suck the fuel in enough to start up, even though everything is up to snuff. If the problem is the carb, the jiggling of the engine vibrations often frees up a stuck float valve. I have had to resort to starting fluid a couple times with newly-rebuilt engines, usually with hand-cranked Model T engines, which are notoriously difficult to start after a rebuild.
Try the starter fluid before panicking. It may take two or three applications before the engine stays running by itself.
Marshall
P.S. You won't know if the "GAV is set correctly" until after the engine starts. Each engine's adjustment is different. Be prepared to do some GAV twisting while getting the engine to idle properly and stay running. Better to be too rich at start up than too lean.
Marshall V. Daut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 09:54 AM   #8
Boston Bruce

I had a problem with an engine that wouldn't start. Long story but I eventually found it had a later B type timing cover.

http://www.fordgarage.com/pages/timingcovers.htm
Boston Bruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 09:58 AM   #9
Jim/GA

As a quick test, instead of trying to start with the spark lever up, pull it down. If the initial ignition timing has accidentally been set very retarded, this might get it back into the range where it will at least start.
Jim/GA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 10:04 AM   #10
Bill in SoCal

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoysToys1928A View Post
I did this very thing and after turning rotor to fire on #4 instead of #1 the engine started right up. And mine was also after an engine rebuild. Just a thought to look at... Larry
I did the same thing with a rebuilt engine. I had the cam set 180 out (backwards). Even set that way the engine would pop and backfire. I checked and checked. I stopped working on it. Two weeks later I thought about the cam, and decided to try changing it - started right-up. Good luck with your project - let us know, Bill
Bill in SoCal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 10:30 AM   #11
frank mcdaniels

Make sure your not 180 degrees out with the distributor. Frank
frank mcdaniels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 11:17 AM   #12
H. L. Chauvin

"Exact" and "detailed" reasons for "won't start", after an engine is "altered" by any "unknown" engine re-builder can possibly be endless and difficult to resolve by people guessing from miles away who cannot touch, see, or hear this engine.

If I were in your situation, I would:

A. First, click on "Search" above; click on "won't start"; and read some of these responses, especially to try to narrow this problem down to either an "electrical" problem or a "fuel" problem; and,

B. Second, seek possible help from another Model A owner in your area who is mechanically knowledgeable; and,

C. Third, seek help from any responsible, "experienced" automobile mechanic, tractor mechanic, lawn mower engine mechanic, or any gasoline engine engine mechanic, because all gasoline engines are so simple for them to diagnose, and are all basically similar.

D. Won't start because of either fuel or electrical problems is so very common and an everyday occurrence for "any" gasoline mechanic.

E. If any mechanic, anywhere in the World, cannot quickly resolve "won't start", he will never be in business long ... not much different from a dentist going out of business because he cannot remedy a toothache ...... just ask around ..... people everywhere have no problems relating their good and bad experiences with others in business.

Hope this helps to quickly get your engine going.
H. L. Chauvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 11:36 AM   #13
tinkirk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim/TX/GA View Post
As a quick test, instead of trying to start with the spark lever up, pull it down. If the initial ignition timing has accidentally been set very retarded, this might get it back into the range where it will at least start.

also some Gav's have to be opened more than others, so try opening it one full turn and see what happens because it sure sounds like it is gas related

Tinkirk/Terry
tinkirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 11:37 AM   #14
Ernie Vitucci

Good Morning all...I don't see mention of a fresh condenser which could look like what is happening. Also check to see that your battery connections are good and the battery is putting out a full charge...A little holly water on the radiator can't hurt! Ernie
Ernie Vitucci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 12:10 PM   #15
30 Tudor

Run a compression check to eliminate mechanical possibilities.
I have seen new parts that are wrong on occasion.

Start there, then go to spark,and spark timing, a can of ether will cover the volatiles.
30 Tudor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 12:15 PM   #16
Keith True

You say gas to the carb,now,do you get gas THROUGH the carb?Are the plugs getting wet?If you take the drain plug out of the bottom of the carb does gas run out steadily?For a full minute or two?What we have here,and is very common,are mice nests in the muffler when the car sits around for a month or two.If it can't puff the air out it can't pull the gas in.You cleaned the carb with compressed air,does that mean you blew into the openings while on the car,or did you take it apart and run a wire through the passages before blowing them out?
Keith True is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 12:18 PM   #17
Big hammer

I never worked on a jet ski, and two strokes don't like me, but my brother in law had one that would not start! I took off the air filter tube,put my hand over the carb throat, turned it over and it started! Don't have a clue why, we did have the choke on, but the extra choking with my hand did the trick!
Old 07-26-2017, 12:32 PM   #18
Jacksonlll

Send a message via ICQ to Jacksonlll

You said that the timing dimple was marked on the pulley. I assume you know the pulley goes around twice to one of timing gear. Make sure on TDC
Jacksonlll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 12:53 PM   #19
H. L. Chauvin

Also, just another humble and "simple" hint to add to reply no. 12 above:

1) If the engine re-builder is not you, and is not far away, he should have a "quick" clue to your engine problem .... that is .... if he knew what he was doing in the first place.

2) Could be worth a try to contact him prior to spending more money and spending time investigating and changing out thousands of individual Model A components and Model A parts.

Last edited by H. L. Chauvin; 07-26-2017 at 12:56 PM. Reason: typo
H. L. Chauvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 12:53 PM   #20
tinkirk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim/TX/GA View Post

also some Gav's have to be opened more than others, so try opening it one full turn and see what happens because it sure sounds like it is gas related

Tinkirk/Terry
tinkirk is offline   Reply With Quote