Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-20-2015, 05:52 PM   #1
Mikeinnj

Default Model T Related

I know this is not Model A related but it does mention the Model T Ford as being very unsafe and i know quite a few A owners that also own a T.

http://www.cheatsheet.com/automobile...html/2/?ref=OB

http://www.hemmings.com/hmn/stories/...rs_guide1.html

Last edited by Mikeinnj; 12-20-2015 at 06:04 PM.
Mikeinnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 06:00 PM   #2
ericr

Default Re: Model T Related

I wondered about that too....what could have made it more dangerous than its contemporary competitors such as Dodge Brothers or Chevrolet?
ericr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 06:06 PM   #3
FrankWest

Model T's are very interesting, but I had not heard that they are unsafe. If you think back to that day when they were used maybe they were safer than the horse carriages that filled the dirt streets. Funny, the article you referenced talks about Mr. Ford not putting breaks on the front wheel to save a few bucks. I own a 1933 standard fordor and recently realized that the windows in my car are NOT safety, Laminated, glass. That was extra!
FrankWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 06:09 PM   #4
29spcoupe

Cars like Dodge and Chevy had sliding gear tranny's, whereas the Model T had a planetary transmission. The Ford had a transmission brake, the others had brakes on the wheels. The brake on the rear wheels was only an emergency brake. The system worked well for the times, but the problem was if anything between the engine and wheel failed, there would be no brakes, i.e. pinion, u-joint, axle key. This is why rocky mountain brakes are a must. One must remember the technology of the day. At that time no car had front brakes! It was thought that front brakes would cause the passengers to be catapulted from the seats. When driving any antique car, one must consider the capabilities of the machine and drive accordingly.
29spcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 06:21 PM   #5
2manycars

Front brakes were thought to be dangerous by virtue of them skidding and being unable to steer.
Over 15 million model T fords were built and sold, and they were a great car for the time. Today.... not so much.
2manycars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 06:31 PM   #6
29spcoupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2manycars View Post
Over 15 million model T fords were built and sold, and they were a great car for the time. Today.... not so much.
I agree that they were as good as any car on the road when they first came out. After the assembly line, they started to decline in fit and finish due to the speed at which they had to be built. I own 2 Model T's and have driven on many national tours. The problem today is not the Model T's, but others on the road that do not have any idea of the older cars limitations.
29spcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 07:20 PM   #7
2manycars

Quote:
Originally Posted by 29spcoupe View Post
I agree that they were as good as any car on the road when they first came out. After the assembly line, they started to decline in fit and finish due to the speed at which they had to be built. I own 2 Model T's and have driven on many national tours. The problem today is not the Model T's, but others on the road that do not have any idea of the older cars limitations.
That is why I sold my model T. Even on back roads I would get scared when cars came zooming up behind. On the other hand, my friend Herb drove his over 110,000 miles before he died at 91. The car is still on the road with a new owner.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg herb.jpg (82.4 KB, 99 views)
2manycars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 08:06 AM   #8
FrankWest

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2manycars View Post
Front brakes were thought to be dangerous by virtue of them skidding and being unable to steer.
That is a good point about the front brakes, they could lock up and these top heavy cars could flip over!

The Things Ya Gotta Know!
Old 12-22-2015, 01:36 AM   #9
dumb person

Why would you believe anything written on a click bait website?
"Worlds fastest cars, click here 34 time to learn the top 10"
Websites made purely to sell advertising space to other clickbait websites.

"I'm Convinced that no one really reads posts anymore; they just fabricate what they think the post says then ramble on about red herrings."--Bob
Outcasts rules of old cars
#1 Fun is imperative, mainstream is overrated
#2 If they think it is impossible, prove them wrong
#3 If the science says it impossible you are not being creative enough.
#4 No shame in recreating something you never had
#5 If it were not for the law & physics you would be unstoppable
dumb person is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 09:21 AM   #10
FrankWest

There goes those front wheels again
Attached Images
File Type: jpg vintage-ancient-accident-fail-01.jpg (70.5 KB, 34 views)
Old 12-22-2015, 06:04 PM   #11
redmodelt

I drive in city traffic all the time! I have too, I live in the big city of Portland Oregon so if I want to drive my T that's what I put up with.
redmodelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 03:59 PM   #12
Cool Hand Lurker

I have a Model A and a Model T. The Model A is similar to modern conventionally shifting cars and is just as easy to drive but it is not as safe at the higher speeds. The Model T is very much different. It is primitive and went 20 years without much change mechanically. The wooden spoke wheels are known to collapse when taking a corner at speed if they are not well maintained. The transmission requires a "pedal dance" to drive it and if you are inexperienced and your mind is not on the job when you come to the end of the driveway, terror will strike!

I think the most dangerous time is when you are on a two lane highway with a lot of traffic. You have to drive with your windshield AND your rear view mirror and have GOOD tail lights. Move over to let traffic pass frequently.

A few years ago at the national tour in the Black Hills, South Dakota I saw an older fellow in an open-top Model T enter the two-lane highway at the top of a long hill without looking for traffic. Traffic backed way up behind him real quick, trucks included, as he went downhill at about 25mph for a couple of miles. Not once did he pull off to the side and let the others pass.

If you drive a Model T or Model A you should drive like they used to back in the old days but really, really watch what is happening around you. Your life could depend on it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Grandpa & Devyn.jpg (90.8 KB, 16 views)
Cool Hand Lurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 08:20 PM   #13
Karl

I have both a 1913T and a 1930 Model A (plus a 1934 V8) . The T is certainly a dangerous car in modern driving conditions. They do tend to break rear axles and if you don't have accessory outboard brakes then you have lost all transmission braking. Forget the parking brake it won't stop you. Look for something soft to hit to slow down.! Even when the brakes are working they are not that good and the moment drivers turning out form a side street see you they try and turn in front of you so not to be held up . Has caused me some scary moments !-Still love driving my T just very defensive when I am -Karl
Karl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 10:14 PM   #14
Bruce,Upstate NY

I can't think of anyone else who carried a 1908 design for 20 years. They served a purpose. If not for the T, where would the average family have been?
Bruce,Upstate NY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2015, 12:54 PM   #15
Cool Hand Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce,Upstate NY View Post
I can't think of anyone else who carried a 1908 design for 20 years. They served a purpose. If not for the T, where would the average family have been?
And dang, they are fun! And when you drive a Model A past people on the street they all turn and look, but when you drive a Model T past they all turn and look with their mouth open!
Cool Hand Lurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2015, 03:16 PM   #16
Pinesdune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool Hand Lurker View Post
I think the most dangerous time is when you are on a two lane highway with a lot of traffic. You have to drive with your windshield AND your rear view mirror and have GOOD tail lights. Move over to let traffic pass frequently.

If you drive a Model T or Model A you should drive like they used to back in the old days but really, really watch what is happening around you. Your life could depend on it.

This poor guy found out about this the hard way

http://www.portagedailygraphic.com/2...ermens-reunion
Pinesdune is offline   Reply With Quote