Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-28-2018, 02:17 PM   #21
Mikeinnj

Default Re: What is safest way to remove a rear end that has a broken rear spring center bolt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corley View Post
Almost every time that I've taken a car for repair, it has not been fixed, but screwed up by an incompetent "mechanic". Mind you, I've only rarely taken one in, I'd much rather do a bit of research and fix it myself. Modern cars are actually pretty easy to work on once you understand how to make use of the diagnostic tools. Very rarely is there a problem it doesn't diagnose for you. The worst part is how tightly things are packed in.
Agreed on what you said about taking a car to a "mechanic" to repair it.
I took my car to a Chevy dealer in Paramus N.J. for a seat belt recall. I waited for two hours in the waiting room and the service manager came out and said they would need to keep the car for the rest of the day because the mechanic broke the windshield when he flipped the passenger seat forward. When I demanded a ride home they made me wait another hour because the driver "was eating his lunch". At the end of the day I returned to pick up the car and asked if there would be any compensation for the damage, the manager laughed and said "hey,we lost $400. on your car today." acting like the victim. Never again will I do business with that dealership.
I still do most of my own work on my cars.
Mikeinnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 08:19 PM   #22
Neil Mylar LakewoodCA

Default Re: What is safest way to remove a rear end that has a broken rear spring center bolt

Broken rear spring center bolt follow up (one year later):

A gentleman in post number 4 suggested that I try to drive out the old rear spring center bolt and install a new one.

That's what I did.
I first made sure that the 4 nuts holding the spring to the cross member were tight (they weren't).
I used a stud that was the same diameter as the upper part of the new bolt and knocked the old bolt up and out.
I then drove the new bolt down and in (forcing the stud out) and installed the new nut.

Now I just need to find the time to remove the rear end, safely with a spring spreader and then I can finally install my rebuilt Tom Endy transmission.

I appreciate all the good advice.

Last edited by Neil Mylar LakewoodCA; 03-27-2019 at 08:22 PM. Reason: Spellcheck
Neil Mylar LakewoodCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 03-27-2019, 09:19 PM   #23
Railcarmover
BANNED

As long as your main leaf is captured by the spring shackles and your center bolt is good there is no need for a spring spreader to change the transmission..or changing the center bolt for that matter,the danger in a model a rear spring is when you are removing or installing an assembled spring on the rear axle at the spring shackles,that's when you have to spread the spring.
Railcarmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 06:43 PM   #24
BILL WILLIAMSON

Jake was screwing the leaves together with a NEW, longer bolt. THEN, as it was almost done, the bolt ran of threads!!!---+8+=63*^*#$@--(PROFANITY SET IN, PROFUSELY!!!!)
Bill W.