Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-12-2013, 03:03 PM   #21
MichaelSchwarzer

Default Re: French Ford Model A Town Sedan

Terry,

there seems to be a Breitenbach in Hessen, near Fulda. Is that what you mean?
Unfortunately I cannot take more pictures of original condition, as everything has alrady been taken apart. I think the car had been brought back to working condition in rough farm restoration respective quick fixes!
MichaelSchwarzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 03:05 PM   #22
MichaelSchwarzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Ehrenhofer View Post
Bonjour, Gutentag,
Do you have to speak French when you are driving a French Model A????LOL
Welcome and if we can be of some help please let us know,
Ken
I do not speak a word of French. I tried to get in contact with French A people, but is is not easy as I have to find somebody for the translation of each email!
Old 05-12-2013, 03:05 PM   #23
MichaelSchwarzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30Ford View Post
I'am heading to Germany in 23 days ...it would be great to see a A
Whre do you go to in Germany?
Old 05-12-2013, 03:38 PM   #24
Bob C

Just go to Google Translate cut and paste you email and it will translate it for you.
Nur um Google gehen Übersetzen Ausschneiden und Einfügen Ihre E-Mail und es wird es für Sie übersetzen.

http://translate.google.com/#auto/de/

Bob
Bob C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 12:26 AM   #25
Brad in Germany

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelSchwarzer View Post
Sorry, I have never heard about that!
Yes, this is true according to the era "Revue Ford" and "Le Fordiste". This vehicle code was effective May 1930 and that is when the French built Model A's started being delivered with Marschal headlights. The light buckets are similar to the US type headlights, but the lens is completely clear with no fluting (only a small Ford script etched on the bottom of the lense.)

Have you tried the COFF (Club Obsolete Ford France) for any assistance:
http://www.club-obsolete-ford-france.com/

Depanauto in France used to have some stock of original (used) parts for French Model A's. At one point they even reproduced the unique French Model A radiator badge: http://www.depanoto.fr/ They have moved since I last visited them and narrowed their focused to French cars, so I'm not sure what they have left, but it would be worth a call or email.

Fordially,
Brad in Maryland (I used to live in Germany)
Brad in Germany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 08:12 PM   #26
Brad in Germany

Hallo Michael,

Can you tell me does your ammeter say "DISCHARGE" (English) or "DECHARGE" (French) (or maybe "Décharge")?

The drawing of the ammeter in the French owners manual show the writing on the face plate spelled in French however I have yet to see one with the French spelled "Decharge".

Danke,
Brad in Maryland
Old 05-14-2013, 01:47 AM   #27
MichaelSchwarzer

Brad,

sorry, but almost evreything which could be removed easily was missing, including the instrument panel and all instruments. So I cannot answer your question.

Michael
Old 05-14-2013, 08:52 AM   #28
Terry, NJ

Michael, As an owner of a 1930 Town Sedan that needed almost all the wood replaced, I can give you some help on it. First, Most of the wood is Ash. Some is Walnut and Maple. I would not use Oak for reasons of acidity. Ash seems to be the best, if you can get it. I took an Ash tree down on my property and I have plenty.

Next, Henry Ford had been a Toolmaker and he appreciated precise measurements. In checking (With a vernier caliper) sizes of the old wood, I found it to be within .005 of nominal English sizes in inches. I found it to be astounding that wood would be this precise, especially after 83 years.

Although, I was a toolmaker, I have many wood working tools and equipment. But I found a "Bridgeport" milling machine, Or a similar machine (Lagun, Beaver etc) to be necessary for cutting some surfaces. This is especially true of some of the body wood. I could not have made the center posts with out one. Final finsh on the wood is not too important, but sizes are.

You will find that there are not many "Square" angles on the pieces. I bought a used planer to create many shapes and sizes. Also you will need a hand sander (Electrical)
to create some shapes. Watch the run of the grain on corner pieces. I used wood from where there was a branch coming off the trunk and the grain was already "going around a corner".
That should get you started.
Terry
Terry, NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 01:30 PM   #29
Brad in Germany

Default Here is an original photo of your car!

Michael,

I think I have an era photo of your car :

This was taken somewhere in France after WWII.

Fordially,
Brad in Maryland

PS: Maybe not. This is probably a commercial vehicle judging by the rusty radiator shell and the apparent lack of any back window remnants. Can anyone help out identifying the body style?
Old 05-14-2013, 01:45 PM   #30
Brad in Germany

Default French Ford Model A radiator badge.

Ford radiator badges for French Model A's. The top one is a repro (made in China) and the bottom one is an original (made in France).

The fine print translates to: "Imported from the United States of America."

Fordially,
Brad in Maryland
Old 05-15-2013, 03:13 PM   #31
MichaelSchwarzer

Hi Brad,

have a look on that webpage: http://fordaf1930.free.fr/images/compteur_1.JPg, the ammeter of the french Ford AF says discharge.

Thanks for the photo of my car in its natural environment

Michael
Old 05-15-2013, 03:17 PM   #32
MichaelSchwarzer

Thank Terry, we use ash for all parts. My brother is a cabinet maker, he is a hell of a help for that project.
The wooden header was completely gone, so we have no pattern for this one. Bought a reproduction part at Macs, but not sure whether the connection to the side rail is correct. Do you have a picture of that connection?

Michael

Last edited by MichaelSchwarzer; 05-15-2013 at 03:27 PM.
Old 05-15-2013, 03:32 PM   #33
plind

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelSchwarzer View Post
Hi Brad,

have a look on that webpage: http://fordaf1930.free.fr/images/compteur_1.JPg, the ammeter of the french Ford AF says discharge.

Thanks for the photo of my car in its natural environment

Michael
Hi.
This link do not Work on my PC...!!
plind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 03:46 PM   #34
MichaelSchwarzer

Strange, the link does not work indeed. Try http://fordaf1930.free.fr/interieur.php and scroll down until the close-up picture of the instrument panel.
Old 09-02-2013, 10:23 PM   #35
youngs1

Michael, It is a pleasure to finally find another French Model A owner. I have a 1929 Tudor built in the same plant as yours. There are several links I can share and a fair amount of information I have gleaned from the internet and the Obsolete Ford Club of France. The Marchal headlights are present on my Tudor as well as a number of Ducellier electrical parts such as the wiper motor, a distributor body (not currently installed but came with the car), a Ducel coil still in operation and a WWII era taillight of undetermined manufacture. It has the specific yellow tag light lens, however, required by French law from 1936-1993. My car was brought over from France by a Lt. Colonel in the Air Force in the late 1960's. The car even spent some time at Remstadt AFB! I have spoken with the Lt. Colonel as well as the two intervening owners before I purchased it in 2007. There are two missing French parts still with a previous owner, the French horn that mounts to the firewall that I think is a Bosch unit and that Special French radiator emblem.

If I may be of assistance, please do not hesitate to contact me. I have not found any other USA owners of a French Model A to date.

Links: A French Model A: http://fordaf1930.free.fr/restauration.php
Translation site I use that can translate an entire web page and can handle French to German: http://www.free-translator.com/

Xavier in the French Ford Club was helpful. He told me many Model A's were scrapped after WWII for reasons seen in the photo posted before as well as just being old and scrap metal being of high value. Not many Model A's survived so we own a couple rather rare pieces of Ford history. I have not found a body type breakdown for 1929 but would be interested to find one. Less than 6,000 total were assembled in the Asnieres plant in 1929. I also have the 40hp version. I still have a Swiss Firestone spare tire and a Michelin tire valve cap. The original French tags came with my car as well as the USA tags used overseas when the car was driven by the Lt. Colonel. I just found two French 10 cent pieces (minted with hole in the middle) dated 1936 (copper/nickel) and 1941 (zinc) being used as washers in the interior. I am still working through some steering issues but the car appears to have 30,000 original miles (50,000 km by the European speedometer) and has been stored well. Only two spots of rust in the lower cowl on each side. Please let me know if I may be of additional help. I hope to find one of the original radiator emblems to complete my car's French specific items. It also had a French reflector on the passenger rear fender that needs repair to put it back on. Please let me know if I can help in any way.
youngs1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 11:04 PM   #36
DougVieyra

There was a 4 or 5 page article about European-built Ford Model A's in the MAFCA "Restorer" magazine - text and photos. This was about 30 years ago. You might want to check the RESTORER index to locate the article. It has been awhile (a third of a century) since I wrote the article. If you have an interest, I will try and dig down a bit and retrieve some of my original source material.

Also - the Ancient Ford Club of Belgium may be of some help in your restoration. There was a Paul Verstappen who was involved and introduced me to several Model A owners who had mostly French-built cars. - Doug Vieyra
DougVieyra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 02:30 AM   #37
juke joint johnny

Default Re: Here is an original photo of your car!

Brad
I have seen that car It is in Oradour sur Glene near Limoge That town was burnt to the ground during the War and has been preserved as a museum and tribute to the people who lost their lives . The car is a 28-29 Tudor sedan which I believe was being used as a Taxi due to the roofrack fitted to it. I took some photos I will try to dig them out, It looks much worse now after 60 plus years outside with no paint.

John Cochran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad in Germany View Post
Michael,

I think I have an era photo of your car :

This was taken somewhere in France after WWII.

Fordially,
Brad in Maryland

PS: Maybe not. This is probably a commercial vehicle judging by the rusty radiator shell and the apparent lack of any back window remnants. Can anyone help out identifying the body style?
juke joint johnny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 04:28 PM   #38
MichaelSchwarzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngs1 View Post
Michael, It is a pleasure to finally find another French Model A owner. I have a 1929 Tudor built in the same plant as yours. There are several links I can share and a fair amount of information I have gleaned from the internet and the Obsolete Ford Club of France. The Marchal headlights are present on my Tudor as well as a number of Ducellier electrical parts such as the wiper motor, a distributor body (not currently installed but came with the car), a Ducel coil still in operation and a WWII era taillight of undetermined manufacture. It has the specific yellow tag light lens, however, required by French law from 1936-1993. My car was brought over from France by a Lt. Colonel in the Air Force in the late 1960's. The car even spent some time at Remstadt AFB! I have spoken with the Lt. Colonel as well as the two intervening owners before I purchased it in 2007. There are two missing French parts still with a previous owner, the French horn that mounts to the firewall that I think is a Bosch unit and that Special French radiator emblem.

If I may be of assistance, please do not hesitate to contact me. I have not found any other USA owners of a French Model A to date.

Links: A French Model A: http://fordaf1930.free.fr/restauration.php
Translation site I use that can translate an entire web page and can handle French to German: http://www.free-translator.com/

Xavier in the French Ford Club was helpful. He told me many Model A's were scrapped after WWII for reasons seen in the photo posted before as well as just being old and scrap metal being of high value. Not many Model A's survived so we own a couple rather rare pieces of Ford history. I have not found a body type breakdown for 1929 but would be interested to find one. Less than 6,000 total were assembled in the Asnieres plant in 1929. I also have the 40hp version. I still have a Swiss Firestone spare tire and a Michelin tire valve cap. The original French tags came with my car as well as the USA tags used overseas when the car was driven by the Lt. Colonel. I just found two French 10 cent pieces (minted with hole in the middle) dated 1936 (copper/nickel) and 1941 (zinc) being used as washers in the interior. I am still working through some steering issues but the car appears to have 30,000 original miles (50,000 km by the European speedometer) and has been stored well. Only two spots of rust in the lower cowl on each side. Please let me know if I may be of additional help. I hope to find one of the original radiator emblems to complete my car's French specific items. It also had a French reflector on the passenger rear fender that needs repair to put it back on. Please let me know if I can help in any way.
Steve,

Thanks for that information and please apologize my late answer. We have been on holiday until just now.
Please give me some time to answer you mail.
May be you could have a look into http://www.ebay.de/itm/161017358019?...84.m1423.l2649
Are these the correct headlamps? May be you could post some photos of your headlamps?
Intersting story about the horn. What does it look like? Is the inside wiper motor original or is it a later replacemnent?
Looking forward to communicate with you!

Best regards,

Michael
Old 09-06-2013, 04:29 PM   #39
MichaelSchwarzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougVieyra View Post
There was a 4 or 5 page article about European-built Ford Model A's in the MAFCA "Restorer" magazine - text and photos. This was about 30 years ago. You might want to check the RESTORER index to locate the article. It has been awhile (a third of a century) since I wrote the article. If you have an interest, I will try and dig down a bit and retrieve some of my original source material.

Also - the Ancient Ford Club of Belgium may be of some help in your restoration. There was a Paul Verstappen who was involved and introduced me to several Model A owners who had mostly French-built cars. - Doug Vieyra
Doug,

that sounds very intersting. I would be very happy about more information!

best Regards

michael