Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-29-2015, 05:28 PM   #21
Tom Wesenberg

Default Re: Who's running a Mitchell Transmission?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttoldcarbuff7 View Post
Everyone seems happy with the Mitchell, but is there anyone who wishes they didn't swap out to a Mitchell? I am just trying to get a feel before dropping big dollars.
What's your goal? Do you not want to double clutch, or are you looking to lower the engine speed like an overdrive or 3.27 ring and pinion gears will give you?
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 07:38 PM   #22
waxhead

I am more than happy with my synchro transmission, no regrets. I have now ordered a Mitchell over-drive, hopefully I get it next month.
waxhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 09:38 PM   #23
Gyrodoc

Tom is correct. What is your goal? I have a Mitchel Trans, Overdrive Model B engine. It's set up perfectly for me as a touring car. I can easily do 55 MPH on the freeway if I want to. I love the car this way. Besides no one can tell, I looks completely stock.
Richard
Gyrodoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 10:58 PM   #24
mrtexas

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttoldcarbuff7 View Post
Everyone seems happy with the Mitchell, but is there anyone who wishes they didn't swap out to a Mitchell? I am just trying to get a feel before dropping big dollars.
Have you considered a v8 transmission? It will be cheaper than a Mitchell and do the same thing.
mrtexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 03:50 AM   #25
inex01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford1931 View Post
I put the 15% first and second gear Mitchell in my slant window four door. I like the easy upshift and downshift and use the motor more and the brakes less. I will be putting the Mitchell 26% overdrive in over the winter with the 3.54 gears in the rear end. I have a touring motor with the Burlington crank, Stipe cam and Snyders 5.5 head. I am hoping the combination will give me more flexibility on various roads, keep the rpms down and have the ability to drive on the interstate should I want.
I also have a Slant Sedan, have the stock trans and installed the 26% overdrive this past spring with a 3.54 rear and it works so well, my engine is a touring but not a over the top touring engine and is very capable with this setup. This past summer I took four 200 mile trips mostly highway running between 55 - 60 MPH and did need to drop out of over drive on long up-hill slopes but mostly stayed in overdrive.
Old 11-05-2015, 11:00 AM   #26
curtisldean

I just finished a running gear upgrade on my 30 coupe, new set of 3.54 rear gears, Mitchell overdrive, and a 15% 1st & 2nd Mitchell synchronized transmission.
The installation was pretty straight forward with no surprises.
My fresh stock engine runs very easily at 50 mph on flat ground and I don't see a huge difference on the hills.
Steve Mitchell was available for Q&A the 2 times I had a question, I am very pleased with the product and service I received.
curtisldean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 11:05 AM   #27
inex01

Quote:
Originally Posted by curtisldean View Post
I just finished a running gear upgrade on my 30 coupe, new set of 3.54 rear gears, Mitchell overdrive, and a 15% 1st & 2nd Mitchell synchronized transmission.
The installation was pretty straight forward with no surprises.
My fresh stock engine runs very easily at 50 mph on flat ground and I don't see a huge difference on the hills.
Steve Mitchell was available for Q&A the 2 times I had a question, I am very pleased with the product and service I received.
Congratulations! You will enjoy this up-grade the more you drive the car
Old 11-05-2015, 11:15 AM   #28
curtisldean

Thank you Chuck.
curtisldean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 10:11 AM   #29
Bobalong

How noisy is second gear in the Mitchell vs the standard trans. I have heard that the Mitchell is quite noisy but have not been able to verify that statement. Would like to hear from current users.
Thanks
Bob
Bobalong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 11:15 AM   #30
Glenn C.

Both our syncro transmissions run quiet. 50 mile/hr all day if needed.
Glenn C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 01:54 PM   #31
Stew

Ive got a mitchell syncro trans in my 31 Tudor and 31 CC Pickup. The trans is superb in both. Highly recommend the Mitchell trans

Regards,

Stew
Stew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 08:07 PM   #32
sphanna

DrJ is correct. There is no synchro from 1st to 2nd but is from 2-3 and return. I just purchased a new synchro trans from Steve Mitchel. This is what he told me.
Old 06-26-2016, 11:35 PM   #33
Y-Blockhead

This has probably been asked a thousand times but if you could only afford one, Mitchell Syncro Trans or Mitchell O/D, which would be better and for what reasons?

I'm looking at the O/D because the non-syncro trans doesn't bother me (except trying to down shift to first) and I like the idea of gear splitting, giving me "6 gears".
Y-Blockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 11:53 PM   #34
Rich in Tucson

O/D. I cannot think of a single reason to ever down-shift to first gear in a Model A nor in any other vehicle where a synchro would be a benefit except perhaps for a track (racing) car or vertical-climbing rock crawler. Then, a Model T might be a better choice!
Rich in Tucson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 11:54 PM   #35
daveymc29

I run a Mitchell OD with 3:54 gears and 600 X 16 tires. 55 is no problem, hills may require a down-shift if they are long and steep, but other wise just like stock. I bought the shifter cable which makes it more like a truck to shift, without the handle of a "Browny" box. Thus I can slide across from the curb side, which I found quite difficult with the floor shift lever on the OD. Don't leave home without it. Good people to work with. May buy a synchro box next, but the neutral in the OD makes shifting so simple that I may not.
daveymc29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 12:57 AM   #36
TerryH

Y-Blockhead, I have just the Mitchell OD in my Town Sedan and will likely never need the synchro tranny. To me, double clutching has always been part of the fun of driving a Model A. Having a higher first and second gear would be nice, but not really necessary. But the OD is a whole different story. To me, it is the missing next gear that a Model A really needs, especially living here in Southern California, where surface streets are commonly 45-50 mph, and some freeway driving is necessary to go to many places. On the freeway, I like to be able to easily cruise at 55-60 without pushing the car, and the Mitchell excels at that. And splitting gears in the mountains is very useful. We do an annual trip to Mt. Baldy every year, and 2nd OD is perfect.
TerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 06:19 AM   #37
Tom Wesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich in Tucson View Post
O/D. I cannot think of a single reason to ever down-shift to first gear in a Model A nor in any other vehicle where a synchro would be a benefit except perhaps for a track (racing) car or vertical-climbing rock crawler. Then, a Model T might be a better choice!
Totally agree with Rich
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 10:41 AM   #38
larryf

I have an 5 speed from an S10 pickup and really like it----Another option
larryf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 01:10 PM   #39
Y-Blockhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryH View Post
Y-Blockhead, I have just the Mitchell OD in my Town Sedan and will likely never need the synchro tranny. To me, double clutching has always been part of the fun of driving a Model A. Having a higher first and second gear would be nice, but not really necessary. But the OD is a whole different story. To me, it is the missing next gear that a Model A really needs, especially living here in Southern California, where surface streets are commonly 45-50 mph, and some freeway driving is necessary to go to many places. On the freeway, I like to be able to easily cruise at 55-60 without pushing the car, and the Mitchell excels at that. And splitting gears in the mountains is very useful. We do an annual trip to Mt. Baldy every year, and 2nd OD is perfect.
Thanks Terry. That's exactly what I wanted to hear. Being in SoCal we have a lot of different topography (and speeds ) Sometimes I find it would be nice to have a gear between 1-2 and 2-3.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich in Tucson View Post
O/D. I cannot think of a single reason to ever down-shift to first gear in a Model A...
Believe me, I avoid it at all costs. Sometimes tho I find it necessary. For one example, in traffic on a hill. If the car in front of me slows down enough, for whatever reason, I have to lug the engine to "get 'er going again" or come to a complete stop so I can get in first. Flat ground I don't have any problems.

But we digress. With the O/D I should be able to shift to first O/D in those (rare) situations, correct?

Last edited by Y-Blockhead; 06-27-2016 at 01:23 PM.
Y-Blockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 01:33 PM   #40
Marshall57

Quote:
Originally Posted by JunkOSC View Post
I see Mitchell makes a synchronized transmission that has gears cut with a 15% higher ratio for better top end performance. What does that mean in real life? Would you say that adds 5 mph to performance?

Thanks in advance!
Tim
The transmission does not have a higher third gear. They can raise the first and/or the second gear ratio, but high gear is a 1 to 1 ratio and cannot be increased due to the size of the transmission case. The benefit of this transmission is that you will not have to shift out of first so quickly when leaving a stop light, also the synchronized feature makes everything better. If you need to rebuild your transmission, and map out the costs, adding a little more and ending up with a Mitchell transmission makes a lot of sense. One more addition to this is that if you add an overdrive to the equation you can choose where your second gear ratio will be and that could make a real difference in traffic or the mountains.
Marshall57 is offline   Reply With Quote