Go Back   The Ford Barn > The Archives > Model-T

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-01-1970, 12:00 AM   #1

Default Towing an Model T with a car ?

I am wish to tow my 1919 T using my existing car. The trailer is a tamdem and the car a 2001 Chrysler Concord. Only want to travel across the city to meets and maybe close tours. Do you think the weight is too excessive or should I shelve this idea ? Does anyone else use a car ?. I don't want to purchase a pickup just tow the trailer.

Tks Stuart

Old 01-01-1970, 12:00 AM   #2

Default Re: Towing an Model T with a car ?

Look in your cars owners manual for trailer towing it should tell you what the max. weight cap. is, after you get that add up the weight of your trailer and the model T and that should give you your answer to your question

Old 01-01-1970, 12:00 AM   #3

Have you considered DRIVING the T across town? I understand they were originally designed for this purpose, even though everyone wants to carry them around on stretchers, er, trailers, today.

Old 01-01-1970, 12:00 AM   #4

When people ask me if I drove my car to a show, I say, "I had to, it's too heavy to push."

Old 01-01-1970, 12:00 AM   #5

Be careful of tongue weight,not enough or too much will cause trailer to wander. does trailer have brakes? check towing cap,and tongue cap.of car. You can correct tongue weight by moving T forward or back on trailer

Old 01-01-1970, 12:00 AM   #6

The trailer came with the car.

Old 01-01-1970, 12:00 AM   #7

I use my 1976 Lincoln Mark 4 for my tow "Truck" and in my owners manual it said I need a load distubuting hitch, well that's what i use and it works just fine. I have two cars to enter in some shows my TT Truck and the 76 Lincoln. What a blast when I pull in and unlaod the TT and then un-hitch the trailer and enter the Lincoln, Hey they are both Fords!! My trailer is home made with electric brakes.

<ul>[*]Golding's T Parts[/list]

Old 01-01-1970, 12:00 AM   #8

I decided to sell the trailer and do what Henry wanted me to do - drive the old girl !

opps ? first outing I had to call my son to bring the gas can - boy o boy thes old girls are thirsty ! Thanks to all for your help and info.