Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-24-2022, 06:49 PM   #11
Dale G.

Default Re: Windshield Leak While Driving in the Rain

Two things are disturbing as I see in the pictures. Your rubber gasket between the hinge and the header do not go all the way to the corners of the opening. I have removed original gaskets from Victoria's and S/W fordors and those gaskets were always into the corners. I would say slide your windshield off the hinge, then remove the hinge. Clean any debris out of the angle steel. I use 3M #5200 adhesive sealant, run a small bead into the corner all the way across. With a new gasket cut to size, push it into the corner with a wooden wedge all the way across so that the gasket sticks in there and even with the corners. You understand that the rubber gasket will probably come without any screw holes so you will have to punch holes preferably with a hole punch. Also to make the job neater, slightly round off the rubber bead with a file or on a grinder (carefully). Once the gasket is staying in place, put the hinge on with a small bead of the same adhesive into the hinge all the way across then screw the hinge up. The 3M adhesive comes in black color which is what you should use. When the screws go back make sure you are using a round head wood screw, screw kits from vendors are correct size. You may find the screws do not tighten, then you will have to use the old carpenter trick of dipping a wood sliver into carpenter glue, then into the hole. and let dry over night. Next day, break off the wood slivers flush with the hole, and with a punch, tap a starter hole, then put your hinge up and screw it up as tight as you can. Your screw sequence will start with furthest hole at the end one side, then opposite to the other side, and back and forth toward the center.

If you have deal with the screws, it will throw the sequence off. so you may want to check all those holes first to see if they will tighten as they should. The 3M product is slow drying so you do not have rush. Anything with silicone in it is going to cause rust over the long haul. Also, if when using this product, there is any ooozing, clean off with some mineral spirits. Once the hinge is back in place, slide your windshield back onto the hinge. Note, sliding the windshield off and on should be done with a helper because it is heavy and before you slide it off, look at both ends of the hinge to see if the end has been crimped because sometimes they are. You can open that hole with an awl. I put some oil into the hinge to help it slide better. The oil can be cleaned off after it is back in.

Second observation, when the wiper motor comes through the hole to the outside, there should be a rubber grommet inserted onto the shaft and pushed down to cover the hole. Then there is a thin flat washer pushed against the grommet and then the nut to tighten down onto the washer. The nut is supposed to be an acorn nut as per Restoration Guide Lines. They used to reproduce this nut but I do not know if they still do. If the hole in the header is not completely sealed, you will get a water leak.

I would say by observing your pictures that your windshield hinge gasket is the source of a water leak and possibly your windshield wiper motor hole through the header could be another as you said water is entering in from the top. I know this sounds complicated but it really is not. Go for it and good luck.
Dale G. is offline   Reply With Quote