Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-30-2013, 11:56 PM   #1
rjsteiner01

Default 1941 Oil feed hose to Distributor

Hi All,

Re assembling my 41 One Ton express after 26 years of hauling around parts. Some assemblies I don't remember how the go back together.

Working with the oil feed line to the distributor (helmet style), was this hose attached to the filter on one end and left side of distributor on the other? Did the oil come from the left oil gallery to the filter , from the filter to the distributor?

How were these hoses routed? can you buy replacements? Thanks in advance for your time.
Bob
rjsteiner01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 12:03 AM   #2
oldrelics

Default Re: 1941 Oil feed hose to Distributor

That is a vacuum line, from the intake to the left side of dist.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 413_zps7f2b1feb.jpg (103.8 KB, 60 views)

Last edited by oldrelics; 12-31-2013 at 12:28 AM.
oldrelics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 12:20 AM   #3
deuce_roadster

Some oil filters have a return line that goes to a special hollow bolt and banjo fitting that dumps the oil back into the engine, I think it is one of the timing cover bolts. Maybe a distributor bolt. Another version of this goes to one of the bolts holding the fuel pump to the stand. Later engines dump the oil back into a fitting in the pan.
deuce_roadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 12:30 AM   #4
ken ct
BANNED

Sorry "oldrelics" that is not true. Some guys run a return line to a hollow bolt to return oil to the sump. Dosent work too much oil ,he will end up with a dist full of oil, same for the guys that use the same bolt in the fuel pump mount. The best place to return oil to the pan is a double hole dip stick mount. on the pan. Pan must come off the engine to do this. Your better off forgetting the filter and change oil often like every 1,000 mi.Ive had mine all 3 ways and finally discarded the whole mess.Oil lines are impossible to find and my local hyd.hose maker cannot duplicate them,its the brass fittings on the ends that are the problem. OMO. ken ct.
ken ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 12:32 AM   #5
ken ct
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by deuce_roadster View Post
Some oil filters have a return line that goes to a special hollow bolt and banjo fitting that dumps the oil back into the engine, I think it is one of the timing cover bolts. Maybe a distributor bolt. Another version of this goes to one of the bolts holding the fuel pump to the stand. Later engines dump the oil back into a fitting in the pan.
Thanks Duece,maybe a better explanation. ken ct.
ken ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 02:08 AM   #6
ford38v8

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjsteiner01 View Post
Hi All,
Did the oil come from the left oil gallery to the filter , from the filter to the distributor?
Bob
Correct. This version was correct from mid '40 through '42. It was moved to that location from the fuel pump stand because of excess oil loss out the breather pipe. The return to the dipstick location came out on the postwar engines, and is the least troublesome of the three.
Old 12-31-2013, 09:24 AM   #7
rjsteiner01

Thanks folks, I should have been more clear, meant to say distributor mounting bolt. After looking around, I can see no one sells this hose. I might try drilling out the old hose (on the banjo fitting) and silver soldering a female pipe fitting on it and having a hose made up to put it back. I was unsure of its routing, I guess it is however I can get it there.
rjsteiner01 is offline   Reply With Quote