Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-23-2012, 08:46 PM   #1
Old Henry

Default Rocky Mountain High Road Trip

Wife and her mother went out of town for the week to a Quilt festival so I decided to do a road trip with Pepe and Old Henry to Colorado. Here's the story with pictures:

Started out Thursday morning headed east up Provo Canyon. This was our first stop just 4 miles from home - Bridal Veil Falls with some fall color. (Where's Pepe?)

Then we continued East past Dinosaur National Monument near Vernal Utah - nothing particularly scenic there - and on into Colorado - about as barren of scenery as eastern Utah - until we got to Craig; then it started to get more scenic until Steamboat Springs. Climbing up over the mountain east of Steamboat Springs it was real perty but after a while the temperature gauge pegged past hot and the engine started to sputter so I pulled over to see what was up.

There was some steam coming out of the overflow tube on the radiator so I decided to open up the heater to get a little more cooling. It's a fresh air heater so I had to remove the panel in front of the radiator to get the air into the duct. I then turned the water valve on and turned the fan on. Immediately my battery gauge went to full discharge and I got smoke from under the dash. The wire to the heater fan had lost some insulation and was touching where it went through the firewall. Put some tape around it and got back on the road.

Got to the summit in about two blocks and headed down the other side. At first the engine cooled way down but then it went back up mysteriously while still going down hill. I figured I must have lost some water before I stopped on the climb so dropped into a grocery store and bought three gallons so I'd have some extras. Turned out I had to put all three gallons in; I'd really lost a lot.

I woke up in the middle of the night and lay there wondering what more I could do to keep the engine cooler. I'd had a problem with overheating a few weeks before and lost some water so I'd run Prestone Super Radiator Cleaner in the coolant for several hours of driving to dissolve any deposits there might be. Then I refilled with just water and anti-corrosive without antifreeze to see if that would help. Didn't much. I had high volume pumps and stock thermostats that were working fine so what else? Finally thought of removing the thermostats which I did the next morning and put a 10# cap on the radiator to keep the water in a little better at high altitudes that I would be climbing to. Couldn't think of a single thing more I could do to cool the engine better so headed on to Rocky Mountain National Park. (Learn more about the park here: http://www.nps.gov/romo/index.htm)

It was a beautiful drive up the west side of the park. It was a nice gradual climb on a newly paved road that got up into the deep green pines with bright yellow aspens in between.

As the engine temperature got above 170 I turned the heater on and it stayed well below 190 all the way up. Had to turn on the electric fuel pump as we climbed to overcome the vapor lock that occured at high altitudes.

Eventually the road got above the timber line where nothing much grew and went a long the top of the mountain.

(Where's Pepe?)

After taking that picture I was about to get back into the car when these two guys pulled up behind me in their car and jumped out and said they'd been following me clear up the mountain hoping to catch me and get a better look at the car. They were self proclamed "Car Guys" and had old flathead Ford's themselves. I put them in as a sampling of the myriad of "Ooglers" I had along the whole trip - most just honking and giving me the thumbs up when they passed me - which most did since I held my speed down to between 55-65 the whole way - but whenever I stopped the oolglers gathered 'round to get a closer look and tell about how their parents or uncle or whoever drove a car like mine when they were kids and the great fun they had in it. They especially loved when I told them my dad bought Old Henry when I was 7, I'd learned to drive in it, dated in it, and had owned it ever since. They loved the history of it.

We climbed from 7,935 - the elevation at Granby where we'd stayed for the night - over 4,000 feet to the top of the national park - 12,183 - the highest paved through road in the United States.

This is at the highest point of the road. I did a little climb up the hill to get this shot and was pretty winded from the thin air before I was done. The two old guys couldn't resist "oogling" at the car while I took the picture. Unfortunately, all of the forest fires in the area polluted what would otherwise have been the clear mountain air so we might have seen better further.

Heading down the other side without thermostats the engine cooled down to about 110 degrees. Not good to run so cold but better than boiling the water out on the climbs.

The drive was just as perty goin' down t'other side as it was coming up.

The total drive up over the top of Rocky Mountain National Park from Granby on the west to Estes Park on the east is 61 miles and well worth it.

From Estes Park headed south through Boulder then Golden to get on I-70 to head for Mt. Evans, the highest paved road in the United States at 14,240 feet elevation - 140 feet higher than Pike's Peak. (More here: http://www.mountevans.com/) We were very excited as we had planned on climbing that when we did Pike's Peak last year but ran out of time and had to just drive by the freeway exit to it.

We headed up Mt. Evans which was even pertier than the national park drive was.

DISAPPOINTMENT! After driving 14 miles up the mountain to the entrance/fee station we found out that the road to the top was closed for the season as of Labor Day! Our second strike! We definitely will try again. It's on the bucket list! Gotta go! It was still well worth the beautiful drive as far as we went. Just gorgeous.

We carried on west to Grand Junction where we stayed for the night. For you traveling with pets it sometimes is a little harder to find motels that will accomodate them but there is always some.

The night before when I'd turned on the heater fan for a little heat (it got cold outside after sun down) the battery gauge pegged to discharge again the the smoke started up from under the dashboard again so the next morning I replaced the old stainless wire that was losing its insulation with a new modern wire.

The next morning we went into Colorado National Monument by Grand Junction and drove through typical "Cars" movie scenery.

Just around that big rock is the entrance to the first of two very nice tunnels - just like in the movie.

Remind you of "Ornament Valley" from the movie?

Then we continued west toward Green River Utah. About 25 miles before Green River there was an exit to Thompson Springs which I'd never took. We were ready for a potty break so I took it. The gas station was right by the freeway but a road continued past that to what looked like a little town. I drove about 1/2 mile there and, low and behold, it was "Radiator Springs" from the movie complete with a motel that remided me of the abandoned "Wagon Wheel" in the movie. (For history go here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thompson_Springs,_Utah. To see more pictures I took of Thompson Springs go here: http://s1059.photobucket.com/albums/...son%20Springs/)

I got real lucky and, while I was taking pictures, the current owner of the motel came out and we talked. He was born in Thompson Springs 72 years ago. He'd helped his dad herd sheep when he was a kid and had to travel 37 miles each way every day to Moab to go to school. The motel was built in 1922 out of ceramic block from Italy transported to Thompson Springs via wagon to cross the Green River through a ford. It was on what was the main US Hwy 6 through town along with several other quaint, but long since abandoned, buildings. Even though I-70 passed the town by in 1970 the 10 room motel continued to operate until 1998. The current owner is considering reopening it or selling it. Current population of Thompson Springs: 28.

He told me that the old US Hwy 6 still continued west for 5 miles to Crescent Junction where I'd have to take the freeway to Floy then could get back on it clear to Green River. So I did. What a great nostalgic ride. Here's a short video if you want to see the live action: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UjM3I...ature=youtu.be

Even though it ran parallel to the freeway just 1/4 mile from it, it was actually 40 years from it going back in time.

From Green River turned north to home. Just before reaching home took a little side trip up Squaw Peak road, just 3 miles from my house, to Hope Campground and got a last shot of Old Henry with fall colors. Never saw any red trees in Colorado - just yellow aspens - until getting back into Utah.

Back in the driveway at home.

GOT BUGS? (in your teeth? up your nose?) Gotta love 'em.

Total miles: 959
Total gallons of gas: 82.76
Average gas mileage: 11.62 mpg
Total gas cost: $323.49
Average gas price: $3.90/gal
Gas cost per mile: $.33

What I learned:

1. With extreme needs for cooling it does make a noticeable difference to remove the thermostats - something I never believed before.

2. Running the heater for extra cooling is hardly noticeable inside the car with the cowl vent open.

3. You can only drive to the top of Mount Evans until Labor Day! All I had to do was a quick Google search before we left and I'da known.

4. You can find motels that will take in your pet.

5. No one else seems to drive their old vintage classic cars much. The only two even close I saw on the whole trip were 50's MG and Sunbeam.

6. Was getting a little pinging early on so tightened down the vacuum brake on the distributor to get rid of that. That brake only retards the timing at full throttle so I had to feather the pedal a little to keep from going all the way down and have that brake drop down and retard too much - lost power. Best power was just as much throttle as was needed to keep going.

7. All the trouble I had climbing Pike's Peak that I thought was too big of carburetor jets that I kept replacing with smaller ones wasn't that at all but was just plain old vapor lock. I drove to over 12,000 feet on this trip with the stock Stromberg 97 carburetor with the sea level .045 jets in it with no problem at all. Just had to turn on the electric fuel pump to keep the gas going at higher altitudes and engine temperatures.

Wanna see some more recent road trips? Here they are:

Yellowstone National Park in May 2012: http://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=72864

Death Valley in February 2012: http://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=62705

Pike's Peak in July 2011: http://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=19141

Route 66 in April 2010: http://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=57511

Last edited by Old Henry; 02-18-2013 at 03:46 PM.
Old Henry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 09:32 PM   #2
tom/illinois

Default Re: Rocky Mountain High Road Trip

Great post Old Henry. Beautiful pics. I have a '47 tudor can only dream of a trip like that. Did you have any trouble with your brakes in the mountains? Do you burn 87 octane or something more? I want to take a trip like that some day. Thanks for the post.
tom/illinois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 09:50 PM   #3
Old Henry

No problem with brakes. Hardly ever used them going down in low gear.

Used the lowest octane gas I could find but still tried for the "Top Tier" stations (http://www.toptiergas.com/) that have the higher quality fuel. Usually was 85 octane. There is no need for premium gas. It is no better gas, only reduces pinging in modern high compression engines. Does nothing for flatheads. You can run the lowest octane available and get as good of performance as with higher. I was getting a little pinging early on so tightened down the vacuum brake on the distributor to get rid of that. As you may know, that brake only retards the timing at full throttle so I had to feather the pedal a little to keep from going all the way down and have that brake drop down and retard too much - lost power. Best power was just as much throttle as was needed to keep going.
Old 09-23-2012, 09:50 PM   #4
gmc1941

Great photos, beautiful time of the year for a long drive. I really envy you. Great state to drive though. Very lucky.

Nothing in life is to be feared; it is only to be understood.
gmc1941 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 11:32 PM   #5
gearhead1952

I always enjoy your trips and photos. Thanks for sharing.
gearhead1952 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 11:48 PM   #6
Old Henry

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearhead1952 View Post
I always enjoy your trips and photos. Thanks for sharing.
We took highway 93 from Boulder to Golden so got pretty close to where you live. Hope you're getting out and enjoying a fall drive.

Thanks for your response.
Old 09-24-2012, 06:35 AM   #7
Vic Piano

Another outstanding "road trip", thanks for posting.
Old 09-24-2012, 07:52 AM   #8
Elmo Rodge

I guess it's time for a trip to Fish Lake and maybe Mt. Nebo Loop for me. Wayno
Old 09-24-2012, 06:14 PM   #9
39wdy

As always, wonderful pictures and delightful story. At least you didn't lose anything important this trip like the handle parts for your spotlight; however, I was getting ready to ship you some used radiator water cause I heard that you lost some of that. Oh, my wife says we shouldn't ship used water across the country because other drought stricken regions of the country might get jealous of our Vermont water and want to move here. I'm really not allowed to take photos here because our version of paradise needs to remain a secret. Keep those pictures and stories coming. Best wishes, Toby Lampert
39wdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 09:33 PM   #10
Henry/Kokomo

Prof. - Gotta' admire your photography skills and your spirit of adventure. Loved the travelogue! Many thanks for posting.
Henry/Kokomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 06:20 AM   #11
31chevy

Your photo's are great, are you self taught?
Gary
31chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 10:02 AM   #12
Old Henry

Quote:
Originally Posted by 31chevy View Post
Your photo's are great, are you self taught?
Gary
I didn't think I'd been taught at all. If I am it's just myself. I don't really know much. I just take the picture that looks good to me, not much more than that. I do tweek most all pictures with PhotoShop - getting them level, cropping out distractions at the edges, lowering brightness and turning up contrast a bit as well as sharpness. That's about it. Kinda fun. Another little "creative outlet" for me.
Old 09-25-2012, 10:05 AM   #13
Old Henry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elmo Rodge View Post
I guess it's time for a trip to Fish Lake and maybe Mt. Nebo Loop for me. Wayno
Those are both fantastic rides. Have done the Nebo Loop annually for years. Fish Lake is gorgeous this time of year with the "Aspen Heart" on the side of the mountain. Have fun. Take some pictures to share.
Old 09-25-2012, 12:06 PM   #14
TomT/Williamsburg

Great writeup and cruise - thanks for posting!
TomT/Williamsburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 02:03 PM   #15
peewee2you

Old Henry, as usual phenominal.... you always make it seem so effortless with the story behind it, your photo's skills just come to life capturing such beauty with nature and Old Henry just gleams in every photo, where was Pepe? lol I missed him. Oh yes, I hope the Mrs. and her mother had an eventful outing as well.
peewee2you is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 02:08 PM   #16
Old Henry

Quote:
Originally Posted by peewee2you View Post
where was Pepe? lol I missed him.
Pepe's in the 1st and 6th picture. More obvious in the 6th than the 1st. See if you can find him.
Old 09-25-2012, 02:14 PM   #17
Old Henry

Quote:
Originally Posted by 39wdy View Post
At least you didn't lose anything important this trip like the handle parts for your spotlight; Toby Lampert
Toby, every time I look at that beautiful handle for my spotlight that you sent me I thank you in my heart for your very generous contribution to Old Henry's welfare. Thanks again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 39wdy View Post
I'm really not allowed to take photos here [in vermont] because our version of paradise needs to remain a secret. Toby Lampert
Flew to Vermont for a "Fall Colors" cruise many years ago. Rented a car and drove through the state for a day. I think I timed 45 seconds of sunlight the whole time we were there and we were a little late for the colors. Stayed in a cool bed and breakfast place though with an old cemetary in the front yard.
Old 09-25-2012, 02:20 PM   #18
pauldeborr

Quote: "They were self proclamed "Car Guys" and had old flathead Ford's themselves. I put them in as a sampling of the myriad of "Ooglers" I had along the whole trip -"

Nice trip, but what does it take to be a real "Car Guy"?
pauldeborr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 02:46 PM   #19
bige386

Absolutely beautiful pictures there Old Henry. I would just love to be able to take a road trip like that. Thank you for sharing the pics.
The wife and I are going to be taking a road trip in the 46 next month weather permitting. We're hoping to get some nice fall color pictures. Ill post some when we get back.
Thanks again.
Old 09-25-2012, 03:27 PM   #20
Old Henry

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauldeborr View Post
what does it take to be a real "Car Guy"?
It was kinda weird cause they felt the need to tell me that they were "Car Guys" instead of me reaching that conclusion on my own. (Often guys call themselves "Gearheads.") They sounded like real car guys 'cause they owned old cars except that one knew nothing of the Ford Barn and the other had just heard of it but not done much with it. For guys to claim to have "flatheads in everything I own" but not be an official "Barner" in my opinion lacks something from being a "Real Car Guy."

I actually did a bit of proselyting trying to convert them to discipleship on the Barn. They asked again the name of the site so maybe we'll see them on here. Would be funny if they saw their picture and identified themselves.

Last edited by Old Henry; 09-25-2012 at 06:58 PM.
Old Henry is offline   Reply With Quote