Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-28-2018, 03:38 PM   #21
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Default Re: Macs - how come

I think the O/P question has been answered however here is some food for thought for those still reading.

I personally give no credence to ratings any longer as I see the whole system very flawed. It used to be that if you had a problem with a company, you spoke with the manager or owner by phone or in person to get satisfaction. This gave them the first opportunity to make good on the problem. If by chance they didn't, no one retaliated publicly other than to not frequent that establishment again. Now, people choose to 'bitch' first without even making a sincere effort to resolve. In addition, people's demands & expectations are much greater than what they were 50 years ago. Most people, whether they will admit it or not, expect to be compensated for every mistake made. Most want something for nothing and are looking for a way to be compensated.

Additionally there is no accountability with giving ratings any longer. People giving negative ratings seemingly do not have any morals or ethics, so they have no problem skewing the facts to twist their public complaint into their favor as if they did nothing wrong. So when you read their comment, how do you know it is factual? You don't, ….and most of the time I feel it isn't. If you do read them, does it really influence your purchasing decision, or is your mind already made up?

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 05:44 PM   #22
Chuck Sea/Tac

Isn’t 90% of the stuff at swap meets from people who changed their mind on a project? In answer to Dave Serrano post 20
Chuck Sea/Tac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 10:37 PM   #23
updraught

https://www.google.com/shopping/rati...m&c=GLOBAL&v=1

Click on "Rating" after the stars.

Seems to be part of the service for a Google advert.
updraught is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 11:02 PM   #24
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by updraught View Post
https://www.google.com/shopping/rati...m&c=GLOBAL&v=1

Click on "Rating" after the stars.

Seems to be part of the service for a Google advert.

Read the ratings, 5 stars for hoping they match the price? 5 stars for shipping costs were high?

The ratings are worthless.
Old 06-28-2018, 11:13 PM   #25
Y-Blockhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by California Travieso View Post
I've noticed a lot of people selling Mac's reproduction parts in the Swap Meet section and on Craig's List, some of it still in the packaging. Same story, "sold my A and no longer need these parts."

Makes me wonder if the sellers were just not satisfied with the quality of the parts.

David Serrano
speculation | ˌspekyəˈlāSH(ə)n |
noun
The forming of a theory or conjecture without firm evidence:
Y-Blockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 11:46 PM   #26
mightynova63

I am new to the A hobby and my biggest complaint with them is they are just slow. Maybe I feel that way because I have building cars for a long time and order a lot of stuff from summit but shipping is expensive and slow from Mac's. I always try And support my local shops befor i order.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
mightynova63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 11:51 PM   #27
Y-Blockhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by mightynova63 View Post
I am new to the A hobby and my biggest complaint with them is they are just slow. Maybe I feel that way because I have building cars for a long time and order a lot of stuff from summit but shipping is expensive and slow from Mac's. I always try And support my local shops befor i order.

I agree. Hard to beat Summit for their shipping speed and price.

Last edited by Y-Blockhead; 06-29-2018 at 10:30 AM.
Y-Blockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 08:28 AM   #28
eagle

Mac's catalogs can't be beat. They also will tell you if a part is high or low quality. I've ordered from them for 20 years, first T parts , now A parts. They have been very satisfactory, probably 20 orders +. Shipping is expensive WHEREVER you go, shipping is just plain expensive. I get my macs orders in about 4 to 5 days.
Old 06-29-2018, 10:43 PM   #29
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Quote:

Remember they ship from Florida so if there is a vendor closer to you the shipping speed goes up and chance of loss goes down.
Old 06-30-2018, 07:21 AM   #30
Tom Wesenberg

Quote:

Try Bert's in Denver. Quick to ship and only actual shipping charges. 800-321-1931
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 09:25 AM   #31
mightynova63

Thanks Tom I'll check them out. My last order was with CW MOSS in California. There catalog was great. I ordered on Friday and parts where at my door Monday. Now they are in my state so that is to be expected. In my short time in this hobby I found this, different suppliers, same parts. Only so many people actually make these parts, so find the best supplier for you and just enjoy yourself.

mightynova63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 09:53 AM   #32
Dick Steinkamp

Quote:
In my short time in this hobby I found this, different suppliers, same parts. Only so many people actually make these parts, so find the best supplier for you and just enjoy yourself.
I added the bold, but you are spot on! The hobby just isn't big enough for several suppliers to each tool up and produce the same replacement part. With a few exceptions, they ARE the same parts (even the same packaging in most cases). We are so fortunate to have so many choices of where to buy parts.
Old 06-30-2018, 10:11 AM   #33
Deuce Man

I have been addicted to old fords since I bought a 39 sedan back in 1962. I think back to scrounging junkyards for parts, dusty shelves in old auto parts stores, few and far between car show swap meets and last but not least, Argentine, repop junk from J.C. Whitney and Warshawsky. I live in Florida my parts from Mac's are always here the next day, I have only had one bad ignition coil from them, which I just pitched. Wasn't worth the bother to send it back. I guess you could say compared to the old days, I am a fan. Rich
Deuce Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 10:30 AM   #34
Terry, NJ

I have been to Bert's and the guy usually answering the phone is Steve Becker himself! Mac's is owned by Eichler's (Corvette) The old Mac's ran the reputation down and Eichler's is restoring it. In fairness, I have bought several things from them and never had problem. And they are a little cheaper on some things.
Terry

Quote:
Originally Posted by slammin View Post
The other suppliers, Berts, Brattons, Snyders have Model A people answering the phones. If you need help or advise they can help. I don't think the same can be said of Macs.
Terry, NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 12:08 PM   #35
DHZIEMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by California Travieso View Post
I've noticed a lot of people selling Mac's reproduction parts in the Swap Meet section and on Craig's List, some of it still in the packaging. Same story, "sold my A and no longer need these parts."

Makes me wonder if the sellers were just not satisfied with the quality of the parts.

David Serrano
If parts are still packaged, I venture if they actually sold the car or not, or just bought with plans to use and never did, just because they came from Mac's would not bother me! Price of these parts may be another story and if I needed the part, that would affect my decision also, but I don't just buy Model A parts to sit on a shelf. Looks like some people do!
DHZIEMAN is offline   Reply With Quote