Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-04-2021, 08:18 AM   #21
aermotor

Default Re: No Air Cleaner?

Curious as to what internal engine condition (if any) has prompted this discussion. When and what condition was found. I am assuming nothing was unusual with a good running engine. It seems to me that a little dust or dirt drawn in on the intake stroke would just be blown out on the exhaust stroke. It appears that most if not all filters were added to running engines - what is the reasoning? Suspected cylinder wall erosion? I don't think these filters will add to the longevity of the bottom end of the engine.

John
aermotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2021, 08:26 AM   #22
CatMan1

Quote:
Originally Posted by aermotor View Post
Curious as to what internal engine condition (if any) has prompted this discussion. When and what condition was found. I am assuming nothing was unusual with a good running engine. It seems to me that a little dust or dirt drawn in on the intake stroke would just be blown out on the exhaust stroke. It appears that most if not all filters were added to running engines - what is the reasoning? Suspected cylinder wall erosion? I don't think these filters will add to the longevity of the bottom end of the engine.

John

It's just something I got to thinking about. To me the engine doesn't seem as smooth as it could be or as I've seen others. I've heard that actual air cleaners make a difference and was wondering. I'm probably nit picking on it too much.
CatMan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2021, 11:41 AM   #23
alexiskai

I was just watching a video of a Model B and it had something on the carb that looked the way you describe yours. The narrator said it was an air silencer, like a muffler for the intake.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2021-11-05 at 12.38.22 PM.jpg (18.0 KB, 47 views)
alexiskai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2021, 05:27 PM   #24
Flathead

The Air Maze style filter was a Ford authorized accessory, it is mentioned in the Chicago service letters and probably elsewhere. Users were advised they might need to slightly lean out the mixture with the choke rod. It was introduced in response to operators of trucks that were experiencing excessive cylinder wear on dusty construction sights.
There you go, look it up. They aren't just for birds and rocks.
Flathead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2021, 10:06 PM   #25
Brad in Germany

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexiskai View Post
I was just watching a video of a Model B and it had something on the carb that looked the way you describe yours. The narrator said it was an air silencer, like a muffler for the intake.
This website shows the differences in those 1932 air filters: http://www.fordgarage.com/pages/bairintake.htm
Brad in Germany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2021, 07:27 AM   #26
WHN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flathead View Post
The Air Maze style filter was a Ford authorized accessory, it is mentioned in the Chicago service letters and probably elsewhere. Users were advised they might need to slightly lean out the mixture with the choke rod. It was introduced in response to operators of trucks that were experiencing excessive cylinder wear on dusty construction sights.
There you go, look it up. They aren't just for birds and rocks.

There are two things that some owners do to their Model A’s that I don’t understand why other owners question.

Air Cleaners and Leak Less Water Pumps. What’s the issue?
WHN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2021, 07:53 AM   #27
aermotor

Quote:
Originally Posted by WHN View Post
There are two things that some owners do to their Model A’s that I don’t understand why other owners question.

Air Cleaners and Leak Less Water Pumps. What’s the issue?
The issue in my mind is why - What damage or problems have been discovered in the last 80 years or so due to lack of either? Oil change every 500 miles and adding coolant every now and then is a good time for a look and see around. Few Model A's are operating under the above mentioned conditions.

John
aermotor is offline   Reply With Quote