Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-31-2021, 01:41 PM   #1
RobMorais

Default Starter Troubles...

We have just inherited a 1930 Model A. After it had been sitting for about 5 years, we got her going pretty easily. Got it loaded on the trailer and over to our house. After about a week or so, we tried to start it, the starter turned over the engine then I saw some smoke... then nothing. I removed the starter switch and the copper contact was cracked. I replaced the switch and now when I press the starter button all i hear is a faint "sizzle" sound. Is the starter fried?

I am new to Model A, so any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Rob
RobMorais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2021, 01:53 PM   #2
Mike Peters

Default Re: Starter Troubles...

Take the starter out of the engine and bench test it on a 6V battery with jumper cables. You will see more when it's out. Are you using a 6Volt battery?
Mike Peters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2021, 04:23 PM   #3
RobMorais

Yes 6v Battery. I tested the starter switch terminal and i have a solid 6+ volts there.
RobMorais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2021, 09:05 PM   #4
old ugly

sometimes if a battery cable is loose or is not making a good connection there will be a sizzling sound as power is trying to overcome the resistance , dirty connections maybe. check all the battery cables and make sure they are clean and the mounting points are clean, bare metal.
if you have a helper have them step on the starter knob while you watch, listen, smell.

you may have 6 volts but once you put all the power to the starter it the battery connection may not be good enough .

my old father-in-law told me. "listen close when people tell you how to do stuff they may know something. then do it the way you want."
old ugly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2021, 07:50 AM   #5
aermotor

Quote:
Originally Posted by old ugly View Post
sometimes if a battery cable is loose or is not making a good connection there will be a sizzling sound as power is trying to overcome the resistance , dirty connections maybe. check all the battery cables and make sure they are clean and the mounting points are clean, bare metal.
if you have a helper have them step on the starter knob while you watch, listen, smell.

you may have 6 volts but once you put all the power to the starter it the battery connection may not be good enough .
The frame is the negative "wire" to the engine. Over time the joints corrode resulting in poor contact. Add another ground wire from the battery to the block and keep the frame joints generously sprayed with Blaster to help prevent corrosion.
John
aermotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2021, 08:33 AM   #6
nkaminar

A volt meter is your friend. Measure the voltage at the switch terminal when trying to start the car. If it is less than 4 volts there is some high resistance somewhere and follow the advice to clean the contacts and add a second ground cable. If the voltage remains at 6 volts or higher then there is a problem with the starter or switch. Since you replaced the switch then the starter would be suspect.

The starter is a simple electric motor. The commutator need to be clean and bright copper and the brushes have to make good contact and not be worn out. There is not to much that can go wrong except these two things.
The clutch always sticks, and starts with a jerk.
My car grows red hair, and flies through the air.
Driving's a blast, a blast from the past.
nkaminar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2021, 10:06 AM   #7
ronn

maybe bendix isnt kicking in?
ronn is offline   Reply With Quote