Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-06-2022, 07:19 PM   #21
chain drive

Default Re: 55/56 Ford front bumper license plate holder

i worked at a ford dealer in 5 and 6 just bolted them to the front bumper no body was going to a car show
chain drive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2022, 08:34 PM   #22
miker98038

I always used CAD (cardboard aided design) for those projects. Works good. Looks great.
miker98038 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 10-06-2022, 08:38 PM   #23
Lamar Wadsworth

My '55 Fairlane Town Sedan has been in the family since new, bought by my parents at Drake Motor Co. in Rockmart GA. Been in GA its whole life. It never had a front license plate bracket as GA does not require tags on the front. Accessory tags were always bolted straight to the slots in the bumper. I used 1/4" stainless bolts and washers. with a few washers under the tag to keep from bending it.
Lamar Wadsworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2022, 12:48 AM   #24
Daves55Sedan

A few years back, I decided I didn't like how just using the slots in the bumper to mount the plate by the bottom holes in the license plate causes too much air to be directed upwards on the radiator, and I didn't like mounting it using the top holes in the license plate, because it could cause the license plate to accidentally bent if I were working on the engine from the front.
So, I got out some tin and made a C-channel, then mig welded two heavy metal tabs onto the back of the channel to make the top of the plate even with the top of the bumper. I used a pair of short round nylon tubes as standoffs to mount the bracket to the bumper so that the license plate would not be bent in the middle. I primered it and painted it with an enamel overcoat on both sides for rust protection. I am satisfied with it. Now I need to make another one just like it for my '55 Courier wagon.
Daves55Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote