Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-24-2014, 10:20 AM   #41
Fibber Mcgee

Default Re: Be careful

31 Tudor, let us know if you come across any pictures , I wonder if anything is salvageable. I'm glad to know he is okay but what he was he thinking and he only had 50 miles to go , not that he stood a chance in the construction on I 4.
Old 05-24-2014, 11:13 AM   #42
V8COOPMAN

Therein lies the problem...a combination of "get-home-itis", and thinking "I've only got fifty miles to go".

Dirty Harry actually said a lot with his famous remark: "A man has to know his limitations". DD

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 02:22 PM   #43
scooder

With me the journey is as big a part of a trip, as the destination. Oftentimes the best bit. Sometimes it's just a journey. Those roads Henry shows in his pics, in my eyes as close you can get to heaven built roads, while you still alive.
Martin.
scooder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 11:07 PM   #44
josh1331

For those that have show cars and others that have extra cash, here is the name of a company and web address that sells led lights that are magnets ,front and back that are used as signal lights and at night blinking lights. Invented about 2years ago. Smart signals.com. Or 1800 231 9685. Mention John L from the little rhody model a club of Rhode Island . Mention number 11274 for discount at least that's what is on a business card given to me . I received it from a nice fellow named Ken. Good luck. John L
josh1331 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 01:41 AM   #45
dumb person

But is the important part, the car, going to be alright?

"I'm Convinced that no one really reads posts anymore; they just fabricate what they think the post says then ramble on about red herrings."--Bob
Outcasts rules of old cars
#1 Fun is imperative, mainstream is overrated
#2 If they think it is impossible, prove them wrong
#3 If the science says it impossible you are not being creative enough.
#4 No shame in recreating something you never had
#5 If it were not for the law & physics you would be unstoppable
dumb person is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 06:07 AM   #46
Ted Duke

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhsprecher View Post
We need to be careful all the time. I believe that statistically, secondary roads are more dangerous than interstates, but if we cannot keep up the speed and stop like the rest out there on the interstates, we should not be out there. I just think that with the brakes we have, our high center of gravity and the limited amount of tire surface on the roadway, we should not be on high speed roads. Maybe early on a Sunday morning when no one else is on the road.
Secondary roads were dangerous, that's why they built Interstates. But, they were engineered for 55 MPH. The speed limits are mostly 65 or 70 MPH now, and a large percentage of the drivers are driving 10 to 15 MPH over the limit and allow NO space between them and the guy in front. Traffic is much higher then EVER predicted and truck traffic percentage even higher. Unless you are in the great Northwest "no traffic zone", Interstates are IMHO not necessarily safer.
Ted Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 07:34 AM   #47
Fibber Mcgee

After driving over 2 million miles I can tell you there might be more accidents on back roads but the ones on interstates are usually far worse.
Old 05-25-2014, 11:38 PM   #48
32BBflathead

Roads aren't really engineered for a certain speed, traffic flow and weight yes but speed no, except on the curves. There is also nothing wrong with high speed limits so long as the drivers actually pay attention and drive courteously, most don't, I think having slow speed limits in certain places can be ridiculous, I live In east Texas and there are long stretches of literally nothing but either trees or if your further west bushes, driving 60mph on a straight boring road can really mess with your mind and make you lose focus.
As far as back road accidents go they are usually single vehicle wrecks from people driving idiotically especially around curves, I see alot of that around here. Modern vehicles are also designed with the higher speed limits in mind as well so it's really just a problem of things becoming obsolete to the point of the not even being useable since things have progressed to the point of cancelling them out.
32BBflathead is offline   Reply With Quote