Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-18-2019, 11:50 PM   #1
Mad Mac

Default Gland ring recesses

I am shortly going to re-install my exhaust/intake manifold after having it planed flat at a machine shop. However I found that the gland rings don't fit snugly into the recessed parts of the head or the manifold. This is because the floors of the recesses are uneven, causing the rings to be tilted up unevenly when I trial-fit them. I have cleaned out the rust and carbon, but the floors are still uneven. Should I have the manifold recesses machined?

It would be cheaper (though very fiddly) to file the gland rings down differently to match-fit each recess, and as the rings are a bit too deep (about 8 mm) they will need filing in any case to avoid pinching them when I tighten everything up.

I have used the search function here and read some interesting posts on gland rings, but they do not seem to address the problem of poorly defined recesses.
Mad Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2019, 06:55 AM   #2
marty in Ohio

Default Re: Gland ring recesses

Mad Mac,
Gland rings - yes or no. Years ago, when I bought my car and was a real novice, I changed the manifolds. I bought a used set, didn't know about planning, and I lost two rings before I could get it back together. I put the manifolds on without the rings and haven't had a problem since! You'll get a lot of opinions on this subject - this has been mine.
Marty
marty in Ohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2019, 07:05 AM   #3
kenparker

I no longer use the gland rings except on new manifolds and with the recess in the block very clean and even. Everything has to be perfect for them to fit and work as they should.

On old manifolds I plane them as a set (intake and exhaust bolted together) then use the best qualith copper clad gasket available.
kenparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2019, 07:19 AM   #4
Ray64

20 tears without them and all is good
Ray64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2019, 08:33 AM   #5
Joe K

Gland rings are good as they prevent the "4th port droop" caused by the weight of the exhaust pipe on the back end of the manifold. (i.e. a misalignment of the 4th port in the manifold relative to the 4th port in the block.)

Are they necessary if you have a new or "undrooped" manifold without droop? Not really. Are they good to have? Probably yes - as they prevent entirely any possibility for droop to form.

I have never used them on my current motor. But I think I will use them on the NEXT motor. But now I have the luxury of messing around with it, a fair number of used manifolds of which one might actually fit (most won't anymore because of droop), and the ability (read $) to buy a new manifold if necessary.

Joe K

Last edited by Joe K; 10-19-2019 at 08:43 AM.
Joe K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2019, 08:42 AM   #6
wmws
BANNED

Do you think the waffle type manifold as used with a heater is less likely to droop?
wmws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2019, 08:55 AM   #7
barry022

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe K View Post
Gland rings are good as they prevent the "4th port droop" caused by the weight of the exhaust pipe on the back end of the manifold.

Why not discard three gland rings and use only the one nearest the exhaust pipe?
barry022 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2019, 09:01 AM   #8
Patrick L.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmws View Post
Do you think the waffle type manifold as used with a heater is less likely to droop?
The only manifolds I have are heater type [3] and they have no droop. So I don't have a problem using rings.
Patrick L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2019, 04:13 PM   #9
Mad Mac

Thanks guys, but I really wanted to know whether to machine the recesses or file the rings or both. I already decided to use the gland rings if I could fit them properly. Fitting them is my problem.
Old 10-19-2019, 04:25 PM   #10
Fullraceflathead

I would only file the rings. That way if you mess one up you can just replace it. The block I would only clean up any rust or carbon.

"Primitive technology is not a design flaw"

1928 Ford Model A Roadster Pickup
1930 Gordon Smith Air Compressor
1941 Willy's Pickup
1960 Thunderbird-For Sale
1964 Buick Riviera 2x4 425
1965 Pontiac GTO, 455 Super Duty
2004 Dodge Ram SRT-10, V-10 Viper
1977 Charger Jet Boat,460 Ford,Jacuzzi Jet
Front Engine Nostalgia Dragster,Supercharged 296 "Fullrace Flathead" Ford
Engine Build up on DVD ask
Fullraceflathead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2019, 05:35 PM   #11
redmodelt

As long as they fully go into the manifold and stick out enough to go into the block and bottom out with the gasket you will get the support. If I can I use them. I would file just enough to allow them to enter and get gasket crush and not worry about a little unevenness of the hole in the block.
Old 10-20-2019, 06:43 PM   #12
Mad Mac

To update this thread: In the end I decided not to use the gland rings because it was too difficult to seat them properly in the recesses. I would have had to file each one down unevenly, to match the unevenness of the floor of each recess (in both the head and the manifold) and that was just too much of a pia. Maybe my recesses are more eroded and uneven than some. Also, as I have been driving the same RPU for many years now without any gland rings (and without any problem) I don't think they are necessary. I cannot see any indication that the rearmost exhaust port has dropped out of alignment, due to the weight of the muffler even after 90 years use.