Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-14-2018, 09:22 AM   #41
holdover

Default Re: What strange comments or questions have you heard about your Model A

I have four that I usually drive, '29 CCPU, '29 Coupe, 31 AA LWB and a '31 Tudor. Most of the comments are positive such as, what year, how fast can it go, is it original, can you get parts, is it for sale, where can I find one, how many horsepower, did they have, AWD, AC? (which I answer, sure 3-45..two windows down and front tilted and 45MPH) how many MPG does it get, they sure are small inside, Some of the negative are why would you own one, should have a slow moving vehicle sign on the back, I'll give you $50.00 for it. Wouldn't you like to have a real classic like a '57 Chevy?
holdover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 10:18 AM   #42
Gil Sissons

Default Re: What strange comments or questions have you heard about your Model A

Several years ago we were touring with The Model A Touring Club on a tour
from Reno to Yellowstone. When we were at a roadside pullout near
Jackson Hole that had a fantastic view of the Tetons a tour bus pulled in
loaded with visitors from Japan. They could have cared less about the
beautiful Tetons. They very politely asked.... may I have my picture taken
with your beautiful car. Of course the answer was yes. My friend with the
31 Roadster opened the floodgates when he told the lady she could sit
behind the steering wheel. You can guess what happened next!
Gil. NoCal
Gil Sissons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 10:50 AM   #43
jboggess

Sitting at a red light next to this pick up truck, he rolls down his window and asks is that a joke.. then he drove off.

Another time i was on a tour, a few of us were on the side of the road helping a fellow with his car, while helping a newer car pulled up but didnt pull over and the guy rudely said our cars shouldnt be on the road if our old cars break down all the time.. The one guy in our group started to tell him off, but the guy sped off. Rude people out there.
jboggess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 12:55 PM   #44
vern hodgson

Filling up at a gas station when an old guy backed up to my front fender grabbed hold as he lifted up on the fender said “this is how we used to change a flat!!??
vern hodgson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 02:38 PM   #45
woofa.express

There was a meet of earlier Ford Fairlanes in our town of Tocumwal. They looked great, all lined up along the river foreshore. I turned to a local farmer by the name of Rob and asked which one he liked best. He pointed to a maroon Model A parked at the adjacent roadside kerb and said "that one". It did my ego well.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg woofa express - Copy.jpg (93.6 KB, 18 views)

And there are times when I have a long memory.
woofa.express is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 04:06 PM   #46
Synchro909

Lots of youngsters these days have never used a window winder. When they spot the "other handle" on the door, they ask what it is for. Once I show them, they laugh like mad. They only know electric windows.
Old 12-14-2018, 08:34 PM   #47
Bjerg_Menneskene

The one that ticks me off is “it would be better with a 350 crate engine in it”. I have often wanted to say “your wife would look better if she didn’t have to drag an ugly guy around with her”. I have never said it but it is oh so tempting.
Bjerg_Menneskene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 08:43 PM   #48
shark 81

getting gas one day in my 30 a guy walks up and takes a picture, says man that is cool, what is it ? so I reply thank you, it is a 1930 Model A ford . He takes another picture then asks who makes it ?
shark 81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 12:49 PM   #49
woofa.express

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bjerg_Menneskene View Post
The one that ticks me off is “it would be better with a 350 crate engine in it”. I have often wanted to say “your wife would look better if she didn’t have to drag an ugly guy around with her”. I have never said it but it is oh so tempting.

don't be shy. Say what's on your mind. But don't be offensive, you must smile as these words come out of your mouth.

Old 12-15-2018, 03:15 PM   #50
redmodelt

As a Model T driver, get the same questions. Esp the parts, tires and did you drive it here (No I pushed it ).
Old 12-15-2018, 03:38 PM   #51
dumb person

Newly restored, new rego' plates only 15 minutes ago "I'll give you $50 for the engine".

Yup i really want to have a 2 ton paperweight with no engine when i just bought a years rego' for it. Kill yourself.

"I bought one of these for $35 pounds, and a shilling back in 1961, it was better than this. You should sell it to me for $50"
Yup, $2,000 for tires and i'll sell them to you for $50 and include a free car.. Totally worth it. Killyourself.

"Ugh. The paints got runs in it & one upholstery line is slightly crooked, scrap it. Look, I'll do you a favour & scrap it for you".
Hopefully you get what you give soon.

"I'll swap you a box of scodys for it next payday".
Why people like you exist is a puzzle. Please die at the earliest opportunity. I thought i was bottom feeder scum but then i met other people.

So sick of that car. But i love model A's, just not the fecealweathersystem that goes with it.

"I'm Convinced that no one really reads posts anymore; they just fabricate what they think the post says then ramble on about red herrings."--Bob
Outcasts rules of old cars
#1 Fun is imperative, mainstream is overrated
#2 If they think it is impossible, prove them wrong
#3 If the science says it impossible you are not being creative enough.
#4 No shame in recreating something you never had
#5 If it were not for the law & physics you would be unstoppable
dumb person is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 03:51 PM   #52
SSsssteamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by redmodelt View Post
As a Model T driver, get the same questions. Esp the parts, tires and did you drive it here (No I pushed it ).
With my Model A Ford, I get that a lot. "Did you drive it here". More questions I get when I am at car shows is: "Does it run?" "How much is it worth?" "What year is it, about a 1940?"
SSsssteamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 03:54 PM   #53
Synchro909

Quote:
Originally Posted by dumb person View Post
Newly restored, new rego' plates only 15 minutes ago "I'll give you $50 for the engine".

Yup i really want to have a 2 ton paperweight with no engine when i just bought a years rego' for it. Kill yourself.

"I bought one of these for $35 pounds, and a shilling back in 1961, it was better than this. You should sell it to me for $50"
Yup, $2,000 for tires and i'll sell them to you for $50 and include a free car.. Totally worth it. Killyourself.

"Ugh. The paints got runs in it & one upholstery line is slightly crooked, scrap it. Look, I'll do you a favour & scrap it for you".

Why people like you exist is a puzzle. Please die at the earliest opportunity. I thought i was bottom feeder scum but then i met other people.

So sick of that car. But i love model A's, just not the fecealweathersystem that goes with it.
Don't hold back! Tell us what you really think.
I'm sure we have all had someone try to poor a bucket of crap on our cars (figurativley) but we know better.
When I recently had a young bloke doing it, I asked him what he thought his car would be like in 90 years time. I said that by then it would probably have come back as a microwave oven, a refrigerator and a few razor blades - maybe even a KIA. The laughter of his mates made my heart sing. GOTCHYA!
Old 12-15-2018, 04:09 PM   #54
woofa.express

Quote:
Originally Posted by dumb person View Post

don't be shy. Say what's on your mind. But don't be offensive, so smile as these words come out of your mouth.

Old 12-15-2018, 05:22 PM   #55
Licensed to kill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bjerg_Menneskene View Post
I get the same feeling when someone looks at mine and says "why do you have e Chevy motor in a Ford car?". One of the reasons I don't do car shows. I don't care what anyone else thinks and I don't want to hear what anyone else thinks. They are MINE and they will be the way I want them. I don't like fenderless cars but I would NEVER suggest to someone with a fenderless car that they should put fenders on it. If he wanted them, he would have them on it. To be fair to this thread, I have not taken my original "A" out yet other than a few test runs up the road. I have driven my modified "A"s though and other than the "chevy motor in a Ford car" thing, on a hotrod tour a couple years ago with my '31 pickup, I had about 8-9 out of 10 people say "nice car". I would reply, "Thanks....it's a truck" so when we got home i went to the DMV and got a new plate to help people out.
[IMG][/IMG]
Licensed to kill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 06:05 PM   #56
Mike Peters

How fast? What year? Gas mileage? Tire availability? How much is it worth? etc. People assume our cars are much more valuable than they really are. I try to set them straight and urge them to buy one. I tell them that they will get more bang for their buck with a Model A than any other antique car.
Mike Peters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 04:16 AM   #57
RUNNERBUN

From the mouth of a 8 year old child. Heh Mister, is this an olden days car? I reply yes it is. He then asked do you have a proper car? I reply, yes I do have a proper car. Then with a puzzled look on his face, asks, then why do you drive this old thing.
Maybe when he is older he will understand.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg puzzled.jpg (5.1 KB, 8 views)
Old 12-16-2018, 07:22 AM   #58
Floats

I have often been asked, ‘how old is it?’ and then ‘did you buy it new?”
28 Model A RPU, 29 Chevy Phaeton, 67 E Type FHC, 67 250SL Pagoda, 83 911 SC
Floats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 07:25 AM   #59
Bruce of MN

Quote:
Originally Posted by redmodelt View Post
did you drive it here?
I've told people that, "Yes, it's too far to push it."
Bruce of MN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 08:53 AM   #60
EJ

Here in the UK I must have been asked most of these things, I was asked why my steering wheel was on the wrong side, one day when I was working my boss asked me why are you driving around in that old thing, I said to him I can't afford a new car car on the money you are paying me.
EJ is offline   Reply With Quote