Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-07-2017, 05:03 PM   #1
gajeepguy

Default 1948 woodie top

Is there a good "do-it-yourself" instructions for replacing the fabric top of a 1948 Ford station wagon? Thanks.......... -Richard
gajeepguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 06:06 PM   #2
Bill

Default Re: 1948 woodie top

I installed the top on my 48 thirty five years ago and it is still tight as a drum without wrinkles. I got my instructions from Ed Clarke the Woodieologist from New York. Optional is to put a layer of flannel down over the roof slats,it's like carpet underlay. Tape it in place. I used short grain material from LeBaron Bonney. I suggest U do this on a hot hot day. Lay your material out on the roof. Get at least 2 people on each side plus yourself as the tacker. The material will stretch if it's hot, not a whole lot but enough to make it very tight. Start at the back, while your helpers are tugging lock your material in using 1/4" copper upholstery tacks if U can get them every 4". Start in the middle above the liftgate. Form your material around the corners, keep tugging hard to avoid any wrinkles from forming. With your rear corners locked in work your way toward the front tugging hard and tacking in place. U may have to work out a wrinkle along the way by pulling a tack or two. Remember a hot day is your friend as u stretch the fabric. With the top in place there is a metal retainer that goes above the windshield that will take a few more tacks. Also the rain gutters tack in place which helps retain the fabric. These pieces have a rubber insert that hides the tacks. Use a piece of "Hidem" to cover the tacks above the liftgate. Now open a case of Bud and have a cold one! Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 07:43 PM   #3
woodiewagon46

Have you tried LeBaron Bonney? I got my roof kit from them. As Bill states, do it on a hot day. I did mine when it was about 90 degrees and the fabric was like butter. I have read that some people use one gallon jugs filled with water and clamped to the fabric every foot or so to stretch the roof fabric. If you are lucky you have the stock rain gutters and the metal strip over the windshield. If not, many people use "hidden welt", rain gutters are very hard to find and if you do find them they are very expensive.
woodiewagon46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 07:57 AM   #4
gajeepguy

THANKS GUYS. I have ordered the kit from L-B. We will have no shortage of hot days in Georgia over the next few weeks.......... -RG
gajeepguy is offline   Reply With Quote