Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-22-2023, 10:11 AM   #101
Als48

Default Re: 47 V8 ignition mystery

Craig, Is there any way to tell if your distributor cap is seating properly? I had a cap once that failed to seat correctly and it caused the exact problem you are seeing. It seemed to be cocked slightly when attached, causing the rotor to not fire two of the cylinders due to an enlarged gap at some of the inner terminals. That would also cause the rotor to be too close to some of the other terminals, which might cause the rotor to make contact and loosen the brass tip, as you have seen. Possible?

Al Hook
Als48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2023, 11:06 AM   #102
Jack E/NJ

^^^
2x
Jack E/NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2023, 11:09 AM   #103
1942deluxe

Al, really good suggestion. I have NOS Ford on mine which fit really well but I've read the aftermarket caps may need modified slightly to fit correctly.
1942deluxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2023, 12:24 PM   #104
Old Henry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mart View Post
While respecting your desire to keep all original, the overriding aim is to fix the problem. If you try the crab type cap and rotor and no conduits and it is then perfectly ok, you can then have more confidence when troubleshooting. You can then try and reintroduce the original parts step by step until the problem comes back. the last thing you replaced will be the problem item.

Changing the cap and leads to the crab type will be a valuable troubleshooting tool.

Temporarily changing away from stock as a diagnostic tool is not a bad thing.

I await with interest what you find.

Mart.
I had all of those same thoughts yesterday and will resort to that if necessary.
Old 12-22-2023, 12:26 PM   #105
Old Henry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Als48 View Post
Craig, Is there any way to tell if your distributor cap is seating properly? I had a cap once that failed to seat correctly and it caused the exact problem you are seeing. It seemed to be cocked slightly when attached, causing the rotor to not fire two of the cylinders due to an enlarged gap at some of the inner terminals. That would also cause the rotor to be too close to some of the other terminals, which might cause the rotor to make contact and loosen the brass tip, as you have seen. Possible?

Al Hook
I will check that. Makes sense that could be the problem.
Old 12-22-2023, 12:43 PM   #106
Old Henry

Here's something that doesn't seem right to me but may be normal.
Everywhere any of these new sparkplug wires I just installed are bent the outer layer of insulation is cracked. (See photos) Such is particularly so inside the distributor cap where they are really bent. Is that normal or could it cause a problem?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Spark plug wires cracked 1.jpg (22.8 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg Sparkplug wires cracked 2.jpg (25.2 KB, 297 views)
File Type: jpg Sparkplug wires cracked 3.jpg (35.1 KB, 293 views)
File Type: jpg Sparkplug wires cracked 4.jpg (30.1 KB, 28 views)
Old 12-22-2023, 01:14 PM   #107
petehoovie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Henry View Post
Here's something that doesn't seem right to me but may be normal.
Everywhere any of these new sparkplug wires I just installed are bent the outer layer of insulation is cracked. (See photos) Such is particularly so inside the distributor cap where they are really bent. Is that normal or could it cause a problem?
"new sparkplug wires"???

"Silver rings, your butt! Them's washers!"
"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NReUd2_0u0
petehoovie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2023, 03:10 PM   #108
Brian

There's your problem! I know you've metered your leads at zero ohms, however the HT current is going to take path of least resistance. These cracks in the insulation provide the escape route for the current. use decent leads.
Old 12-22-2023, 03:49 PM   #109
Old Henry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
There's your problem! I know you've metered your leads at zero ohms, however the HT current is going to take path of least resistance. These cracks in the insulation provide the escape route for the current. use decent leads.
I bought these spark plug wires from CW Moss. Is there any better place to buy them to get a better product? I've just emailed CW Moss about the problem and hope they do the right thing and replace them with better or refund my money so I can find better.

Last edited by Old Henry; 12-22-2023 at 05:08 PM.
Old Henry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2023, 04:28 PM   #110
1942deluxe

Craig, those look like the Dennis Carpenter wires I have on both my 42 and 48. Mine cracked slightly but nowhere near the extent yours are. I lubed mine with either WD 40 or silicone spray during the installation. The original wires were brown 46-48.
1942deluxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2023, 04:56 PM   #111
jimTN

You definitely would be better off with the crap setup. You will need a new rotor for the crab, the crab cap and the snaps & pins to attach it. Most vendors carry all of it. No sharp bends with the crab.
jimTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2023, 05:15 PM   #112
Old Henry

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1942deluxe View Post
Craig, those look like the Dennis Carpenter wires I have on both my 42 and 48. Mine cracked slightly but nowhere near the extent yours are. I lubed mine with either WD 40 or silicone spray during the installation. The original wires were brown 46-48.
Yes. They do look identical to the ones being sold on Dennis Carpenter's site. Maybe they're better than the CW Moss ones. I'll probably wait to see what CW Moss is going to do to decide.
Old 12-22-2023, 05:21 PM   #113
Old Henry

This was duplicate of previous so deleted.

Last edited by Old Henry; 12-22-2023 at 05:22 PM. Reason: Duplicate
Old 12-22-2023, 08:58 PM   #114
tubman

Packard 440 from "The Brillman Company". If that works, you've found the problem and can work forwards on getting the crappy reproduction wires to work.
tubman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2023, 09:03 PM   #115
j ripper

Belden 7mm metallic core wire from Napa Auto parts is my go to. Buy X amount of feet and necessary terminals and make my own.
j ripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2023, 01:07 PM   #116
Bored&Stroked

I always make my own wires - because at least I then know the quality of the wire that I buy as well as the conductor ends.

I've used Packard 440 for years, but might look at the Belden 7mm metallic core wire that was mentioned up above. You can purchase high-quality ends from a variety of places. I buy the high-quality ends from MSD or Taylor (I'm sure others have them) - and crimp them with the proper dies/pliers.

If I saw those cracks in my wires, I'd be concerned and would not be running them. Also, as a test, you can make ONE wire and replace the existing ones for the cylinders that are not firing and see if you see a change.

If you're running the steel spark plug wire tubes (with the wires inside of them) - then the quality of the wire is SUPER important. Having all four wires running through steel tubes requires that the wires absolutely have no chance for leakage.

Best of luck!
Bored&Stroked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2023, 01:45 PM   #117
Old Henry

Quote:
Originally Posted by j ripper View Post
Belden 7mm metallic core wire from Napa Auto parts is my go to. Buy X amount of feet and necessary terminals and make my own.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bored&Stroked View Post
I always make my own wires - because at least I then know the quality of the wire that I buy as well as the conductor ends.

I've used Packard 440 for years, but might look at the Belden 7mm metallic core wire that was mentioned up above. You can purchase high-quality ends from a variety of places. I buy the high-quality ends from MSD or Taylor (I'm sure others have them) - and crimp them with the proper dies/pliers.

Best of luck!
Thanks for the suggestion to make my own. I don't have any problem with the idea as long as they can be authentic so have two questions:

1) Can the authentic cotton braid copper core wire with the smooth brown outer surface with no writing be bought by the foot anywhere? (I haven't been able to find it anywhere.)

2) Are the soldered ends that go into the distributor cap available. (I haven't been able to find them.) Those can not be crimped on. They must be soldered on. (See photo)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Spark plug wire ends.jpg (82.6 KB, 235 views)

Last edited by Old Henry; 12-23-2023 at 02:04 PM.
Old 12-23-2023, 01:47 PM   #118
Old Henry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bored&Stroked View Post
. . . as a test, you can make ONE wire and replace the existing ones for the cylinders that are not firing and see if you see a change.
Unfortunately, with my stock 47 rabbit ears distributor cap I can't just change one wire without disassembling the entire wire loom.
Old 12-23-2023, 02:43 PM   #119
petehoovie

Quote:
Thanks for the suggestion to make my own. I don't have any problem with the idea as long as they can be authentic so have two questions:

1) Can the authentic cotton braid copper core wire with the smooth brown outer surface with no writing be bought by the foot anywhere? (I haven't been able to find it anywhere.)

2) Are the soldered ends that go into the distributor cap available. (I haven't been able to find them.) Those can not be crimped on. They must be soldered on. (See photo)

"Silver rings, your butt! Them's washers!"
"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NReUd2_0u0
petehoovie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2023, 03:06 PM   #120
FortyNiner

Quote:

Rhode Island Wire has these items: http://riwire.com