Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-12-2023, 05:31 PM   #1
Old Henry

Default Lester Tires

Coker will not have my 6.00-16 3½" whitewalls in for 3-4 months. I've got one worn out and need to replace it so am looking for other alternatives.

I see a Lester 6.00-16 3 7/8" whitewall for sale for less than the Coker and wonder if it is as good a tire.

What do any of you know about Lester tires compared to Coker's BF Goodrich tires?
Old 10-12-2023, 05:42 PM   #2
1942deluxe

Default Re: Lester Tires

Old Henry, check with Summit racing and Jeg's in Ohio. I bought my Coker tires from them and they seem to have things when even the manufacture is out of stock.
1942deluxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2023, 05:53 PM   #3
wga

Henry - I used Summit Racing for my Coker tires, which they had in stock, and verified the date code for me as well. Check this some tire shops have old inventory.
Also Summit will pay the freight.
Old 10-12-2023, 07:19 PM   #4
Old Henry

Quote:
Originally Posted by wga View Post
Henry - I used Summit Racing for my Coker tires, which they had in stock, and verified the date code for me as well. Check this some tire shops have old inventory.
Also Summit will pay the freight.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1942deluxe View Post
Old Henry, check with Summit racing and Jeg's in Ohio. I bought my Coker tires from them and they seem to have things when even the manufacture is out of stock.
Thanks for the advice.

I've checked all of that - Summit, Speedway, Jeg's - none have my size.

Anyone tried Lester tires or know anything about them?
Old 10-12-2023, 07:38 PM   #5
DavidG

Historically, Lester tires were top of the class and while the tread design wasn't/isn't of the period, it was and remains a much more modern design with superior traction, especially on wet pavement. My experience with Lester is recent with 17" tires and more dated with their tires for Lincolns of the classic era.
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2023, 07:41 PM   #6
19Fordy

I used to run 6:00 x16 whitewall Lester's on my 40. They were good tires. I remember I bought them out of Hemmings ad.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fortyford (Medium).jpg (89.9 KB, 223 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4451.jpg (67.3 KB, 224 views)
19Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2023, 08:49 PM   #7
GB SISSON

You might also want to consider looking at the Diamond Back line of tires. They have a very good reputation and while expensive, they are radials which last longer and handle better. With the kind of miles you rack up, the tread life can make the cost easier to bear.
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
GB SISSON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2023, 09:21 PM   #8
petehoovie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19Fordy View Post
I used to run 6:00 x16 whitewall Lester's on my 40. They were good tires. I remember I bought them out of Hemmings ad.

"Silver rings, your butt! Them's washers!"
"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NReUd2_0u0
petehoovie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2023, 08:31 AM   #9
Zax40

I have Lester tires on my Model A Roadster. They were on it when I bought it. I haven't put very many miles on them, but they look well made.
Zax40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2023, 10:10 AM   #10
Old Henry

Thanks for all of the input.

I've gone ahead and bought the Lester 3 7/8" whitewall.
Old 10-13-2023, 10:43 AM   #11
Steve in Denver

I see you just bought the Lesters, but I will put a Second in for Diamond Backs. I asked Coker if they could make 6.00x16 4-inch Double Whitewalls for me in radials. They can do it in bias, but not radials. I asked Diamond, they said, "How many do you want". Diamond does make tires to order, they don't stock anything, or not much anyway. I think it took them a month.

PS. that raised area around a tire is called the Beauty Ring, like the chrome ring on the wheel. Diamond said they could do that in the whitewall giving me the 4" I wanted.
Old 10-13-2023, 10:45 AM   #12
Old Henry

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB SISSON View Post
You might also want to consider looking at the Diamond Back line of tires. They have a very good reputation and while expensive, they are radials which last longer and handle better. With the kind of miles you rack up, the tread life can make the cost easier to bear.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve in Denver View Post
I see you just bought the Lesters, but I will put a Second in for Diamond Backs. I asked Coker if they could make 6.00x16 4-inch Double Whitewalls for me in radials. They can do it in bias, but not radials. I asked Diamond, they said, "How many do you want". Diamond does make tires to order, they don't stock anything, or not much anyway. I think it took them a month.

PS. that raised area around a tire is called the Beauty Ring, like the chrome ring on the wheel. Diamond said they could do that in the whitewall giving me the 4" I wanted.
Thanks for the recommendation of Diamond Backs. I'm familiar with them but still run the original authentic bias ply tires, not radials.

Thanks again.