Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-27-2013, 06:23 PM   #1
frank long island

Default speedometer

drove my sons 94 crown vic police interceptor today and the speedo was bouncing while idling and driving any idea on how to fix this thanks
frank long island is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 07:10 PM   #2
ford3

Default Re: speedometer

you might try lubing the speedo cable, and check for crushed places on the outer housing, make sure no tight bends, if that doesnt do it you will have to get the speedo head out of the housing, on top where the speedo cable screws on to the speedo you will see a small welch plug, it looks like a small freeze plug, remove it with a machine screw that fits snug in the cap, under neath it you will find a felt wick, remove it, now put 3 or 4 drops of 3n1oil in the hole, turn speedo shaft with your finger till it turns free, clean felt plug with gas paint thinner or what ever, dry and put some of the oil on it, put in hole and add a few more drops of the oil, replace cap, add a small amout of oil on all moving parts you can reach, dont over do it, now your ready to install speedo and take a ride and see if that helped, this wont work on an electric speedo
ford3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 07:19 PM   #3
Daves55Sedan

If what ford3 says doesn't do the trick, you may have grease build up inside the speedo drum itself. That'll throw off the balance. It is necessary then to remove the speedo from the instrument cluster. Remove or somehow protect with ample amounts of clean shop towels all surrounding parts made of plastic. scrape off as much grease from drum as possible and finish off by spraying with gumout WITH the little plastic blast tube so you can get directly at the problem areas. Blot dry with paper towel, then lube moving parts with a drop of 3-in-one oil. Re-assemble.
Daves55Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 09:15 PM   #4
frank long island

its all electronic no cables
Old 08-27-2013, 11:17 PM   #5
craig

As mentioned, it's electronic, you could have a bad vss (vehicle speed sensor) or a poor connection at the instrument cluster or like the '06 and later CVPI's, the cluster itself could have a cracked solder connection internally (on the '06 and up the odometer is the first to fail when this happens) Also, make sure you don't have a spark plug wire issue or solid core wires, because it is electronic, just like a radio, it is susceptible to electrical interference
craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 11:55 PM   #6
ford3

ok now i know its electronic i would check or replace the speed sensor at the transmission
ford3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 06:58 PM   #7
frank long island

thanks to all i will work on this when i have some free time at the present i'm restoring a 67 c---y camaro convertible for a co-worker