Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-27-2013, 11:24 AM   #1
RonLey

Default Beginninig a 56 Ford Sunliner

Greetings. I am totally new to the Y-Block. My past is restoring Model A's and Model T's so this is a whole new world. My wife's Father purchased a 56 Ford Sunliner in 1956 and drove it up to 1984. It has always been garaged so it is in excellent condition for a car 57 years old. My wife remembers riding in it and going to her high school graduation in the car.

We were given the car about 5 years ago (to get it out of his garage). Her Dad passed away in February and now she would like to have it in driving condition. I am starting to put together a plan to make a good driver that she can be comfortable driving, fun to drive and be safe. The engine is the 292 and had the 2 bbl intake.

I have the engine and transmission pulled out and ready to find someone that can help pull the body from the frame (bracing etc). I have always restored to be original but am thinking of going a little different on this one to meet the wife's wishes. I am looking for some input from someone to see what I am getting into.

First I want to look at putting in a Ford C4 transmission, find a 1957 ECZ 9425-B single 4 barrel, front disk brakes and either a MSD or '57 distributor. I have been looking at the parts available from John Mummert's website to get some ideas. While it won't be factory original I'll have all the parts to put it back if desired. It seems that the 1956 Sunliner is not the most desired or prolific car to restore so I am having some issues finding a lot of information but still looking.

I would really appreciate information from the forum. I live in Tulsa, Ok so if there is someone close by that has started down this path I would love to talk you as well.

Thanks

Ron

RonLey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 12:22 PM   #2
ken ct
BANNED

Default Re: Beginninig a 56 Ford Sunliner

First thing i would check VERY carefully is the front cross member.55+56 had a bad habit of rusting through from the inside out and its a major job to replace it. ken ct.
ken ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 12:35 PM   #3
RonLey

Ken, thanks for heads up.
Old 07-27-2013, 01:03 PM   #4
Y-Blockhead

Everything you mention you want to do is relatively straight forward. My own '55 Ranchwagon has all the mentioned mods.

Check the front crossmember as Ken suggested but being from a 'Dry State' it should be OK. Repro cross members are available if needed.

Front disks, calipers and spindles are Ford Granada, C-4 adapter from Flat-o, '57 up distributor Reman by Cardone, Pertronix Ignitor II or III.

Neat Project.

Last edited by Y-Blockhead; 07-27-2013 at 01:36 PM.
Y-Blockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 01:43 PM   #5
darrell

you have a pile of work ahead of you as far as the front crossmember goes its easy with the frame of as your doing.
darrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 04:11 PM   #6
CrownVic55

Ron,
I live just outside of Collinsville, OK. I have a 55 Crown Vic with about 200,000 miles on it. Have never had to replace the cross member and I lived on a dirt road for the first 6 or 7 years of the car's life. If you should need a cross member, Goodell Fabrications in Coweta, OK makes a replacement.
Like one of the other posters said, join the Crown Victoria Assoc. You can check their website at thecvaonline.com.
I also have a rotisserie that I made for the frame off restoration. If you are interested, I can send you photos and specs for it. May also be willing to sell it- would have to check with my son first.
Enjoy the project.
Ben
CrownVic55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 04:11 PM   #7
Ole Don

For power steering, I would recommend a stock system. If you spend the money for a modern auto trans, why not step up to an AOD for effortless cruising. Rebuilding the motor? Mummert offers a mild street cam, coupled with a stock dual exhaust and a small four barrel carb the car will be fun to drive. Very little effort will really wake up a Y block. When you take the motor apart, dont toss the lifters, they can be reground to new for a fraction the cost of new.
Ole Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 07:08 PM   #8
RonLey

Ole Don, I had looked or thought of the AOD. I was looking to get the mild cam. My first car was a 1970 Mustang fastback running a 3/4 mile race cam and high Edelbrock that came out of a junk yard. Four speed Hurst shifter, big tires, the last of the cars in the 70's. I don't want to go to that extreme but have fun putting this together. I am going look if I can find a set of ECZ-G heads down the road. First priority is to start putting the budget together and get a rolling chassis.
Old 07-27-2013, 07:30 PM   #9
rick55

Your engine will probably have ECZ-C heads which are good heads though don't flow quite as well as Gs. That said, for street driver they are more than adequate.
Ole Don has the good advice.
Goodell's crossmember is a no brainier once you have the body off the frame or at least the front clip. I have done a couple of them and I am an electrician by trade. Just need a good mig welder.
There is a wealth of bits available for these cars.

1958 Ford Mainline Utility, 1955 Ford Tudor Sedan

Quote:
Anyone who stops learning is old, whether at twenty or eighty. Anyone who keeps learning stays young. The greatest thing in life is to keep your mind young.
Henry Ford
rick55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 04:14 PM   #10
RonLey

Ben, sent you a PM. I would be interested in seeing the rotisserie that you made.

Ron
Old 07-28-2013, 07:34 PM   #11
nascardave

Hi Ron, I can help you with the disc brakes , I have 2 different styles. One style I have bolts on to your spindles and will leave the car at stock height, the 2nd kit I offer are drop spindles and you have your choice of either 1 1/2" or 2 1/2" drop, all necessary parts to install the brakes come with the kits.
I can also provide a dual master cylinder for manual brakes, I also have an 8"dual diaphragm power brake booster and master that bolts into the stock location and uses the stock pedal. It is also recommended to use an adjustable proportion valve and I can provide that.

I have a friend who has all the original power steering parts for 54/56 ford ,control valve, drag link, idler arm bracket, power steering pump and bracket and lower crank pulley for a 239 and I think its the same for 272 and292. These are all good core parts off of a running car, would recommend rebuilding for long life. He's asking $250.
[email protected]
nascardave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 08:25 PM   #12
CrownVic55

Ron, sent you a PM. Going to be tied up for a couple of weeks but will be glad to show you the unit when I get loose..
CrownVic55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 10:59 PM   #13
norcalal

I am ready to paint my 56 Sunliner, but cannot find the correct Mandarin Orange. This has been discussed here before, but the paint store could do nothing with the information previously given. Anyone have a DuPont or PPG number that will make this color in urethane? How are things at the CVC meet? Thanks guys!!
norcalal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 06:47 PM   #14
Paul H

Nascardave.............If you friend still has the power steering setup,I would be interested in it.

Thanks
Old 08-10-2013, 10:34 PM   #15
nascardave

Hi Paul, My friend still has it, please e mail me [email protected] .
nascardave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 12:45 PM   #16
mikhett

hi Ron I'll keep in touch with updatesim starting a 56 Ford fair lane 2dr hit frame off Restoration. Mike
mikhett is offline   Reply With Quote