Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-01-2014, 12:42 PM   #1
sconnors

Default Video - Horn Rod Light Switch - FIXED!!

PLEASE CHECK OUT THE ATTACHED VIDEO:

http://youtu.be/BjHpVp40tyg

After a few days off I got back at it today and got it fixed! So briefly here’s what I did step by step and this is also documented in the attached video in case anyone needs it or for future reference.

1. First thing I did was to sand down the entire horn rod to make it easier to fit inside the column
2. Cleaned the hole in the steering wheel with a round file, not much but just enough to clean any debris out
3. I used my old spider that was in the truck instead of the new one I bought
4. The new top light switch housing would not stay up in the steering column. So I opted to use my old light switch housing top and the new bottom. NOTE: I had to use a Dremel to file down the two tabs on the bottom of the new housing so it would fit and turn into the top of the old housing. Go slow here if you have to do this and keep checking the fit.
5. After everything was back in I had to keep adjusting the bail wire to make sure it kept the light switch housing in the column tight. The key is to make sure the tab that slides up into the column from the top part of the switch STAYS in the column and doesn’t slip out. This took several tries of trial and error of bending the bail wire and putting it back in
6. I now have parking lights, low beam, high beam, horn and the light switch doesn’t turn when you turn the wheel.

So in retrospect I had several issues going on. The first was that some of the repro parts I bought were garbage which taught me the lesson to use original parts whenever possible. The second issue was that the horn rod DID need to be sanded the entire length and not just at the top and bottom. The third was that the bail wire needs to hold that switch firmly up in the column.

Hope the video was informative and helps some folks out in the future.
Scott
sconnors is offline   Reply With Quote